New Charvels

jasons7

Supporting Member
I picked up an open box So Cal style 1 for a little more than $600. I love the guitar. I’ve owned more expensive stuff but these current Charvels are really great packages. I have no complaints and that includes the fret work.

Terrarich

Supporting Member
Had one for a couple of months. It was alright. My neck felt flatter on the back than most Charvels I've had. The Style 2 are highly chambered under that pick guard. Looks honeycombed.

neil99

Silver Supporting Member
Ive got a pro mod so cal, love it! plays wonderfully, no fretwork issues. Ebay 600 bucks well spent! currently on the workbench getting new pickups, not a big fan of the ceramics.

mikemjr12

I got my orange DK24 HSH delivered today. Very nice guitar. No sharp fret ends or any other fret issues like some have mentioned. The Duncan buckers sounds great. Very clear and well defined. Surprisingly good clean. Neck does smell good too, major plus. I like the speed knob volume control. Still not entirely sure how the tone control works, but I can do some research. Neck is wide, but not too skinny. I tried to find depth measurement prior to purchasing but couldn’t find them. Also weighs in at 7.5 pounds.

slowburn

Supporting Member
I wish they had a few more models that blended configurations between the San Dimas and the DK24

mikemjr12

Basically, tone control on 9 is what you would get on 10 on a normal tonepot. Turn it up to 10 on the Charvel, and it's "no load". A hair brighter, for when you need it.
Thank you for this. That explains why everything seemed just a hair brighter than I was used to

mikemjr12

Had a few more days with the Charvel. Not sure if the neck is for me. The thin, wide carve is causing some hand cramping and soreness, which doesn’t happen with my other guitars. It’s a shame because otherwise I like it. But it’s tough to overcome a neck issue like this one.

Had a few more days with the Charvel. Not sure if the neck is for me. The thin, wide carve is causing some hand cramping and soreness, which doesn’t happen with my other guitars. It’s a shame because otherwise I like it. But it’s tough to overcome a neck issue like this one.
The neck isn't the same as older Charvels. I bought a new one and returned it because off that same issue. My 2013, 14 and 15 models are not like that

Last edited:

dk123123dk

I have the blue Pro Mod DK24. I haven't played a shredder in a while, but I'm finding it pretty easy to adjust to.

Its loaded with pro features, sounds great, super versatile, and looks pretty sexy with the roasted neck.

Mine has rolled fingerboard edges, but the fingerboard is pretty flat, so it might feel weird going from a vintage tele to a Charvel. But I find it to be one of my better playing guitars out of the box.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending Pro Mod series guitars if you like those features.

dk

slamigo

I went to the local store to try out a Charvel SoCal Style 2 with every intention of buying it. But it felt kind of cheap. I really wanted to like it. Was ready to buy that day. Ended up getting something completely different, but I was close. The finish just seemed lackluster.

bibir

i bought a san dimas HH last month. not disappointed, but you get what you pay for a 1000$ guitar. a month into it I'm now eyeing the washburn n4 for an upgrade of my charvel.

btw I have a charvel evh art series from 2005, and I can tell you that the usa charvel is on a different class compared to current line up

Baba

Supporting Member
^^
Custom Shop?
I don't think so. They did a limited run, called "Super Stock", a few years back in this Orange Sparkle for the San Dimas, and another one in Silver Sparkle with the black pickguard for the So Cal. That one is on my longterm collection addition list.

Jecht

I had a 2016 Pro Mod San Dimas and 2014 Pro Mod SD. I much prefer the neck from the 2014 and wish they hadn't changed their neck carve. Both guitars were great, but the 2016 had some tuning issues with the Floyd too. I ended up selling both of them, but I miss the 2014 model I had.

Last edited:

mikemjr12

I still have 30 or so days left to try out my new Charvel before deciding to keep it or not. I’ve been doing some research on adapting to thinner, wider necks and think I’m making some progress on avoiding arm soreness. The tuning stability it pretty good IME. I just use it to add some subtle vibrato, nothing too steep. Would be cool if the electronics compensated for the volume changes when toggling the pickup selector. The body and electronics with a more vintage spec’d neck would be ideal for me, but it’s probably tough to market something like that.

Trending Topics