New Chase Bliss / Meris CXM 1978

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vlammie, Jan 14, 2020.

1. tofudoom

tofudoom Member

It certainly sounds good. But will it sound substantially better than something like the Big Sky, Mercury7, or Ventris? Those pedals all sound excellent, and it's looking like this could cost hundreds of dollars more than any of them.

Jason Calieri likes this.
  2. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I think Chase Bliss is finally targeting the synth/keyboard players and studios with this pedal. With the stereo ins/outs and almost desktop form factor, if this is priced right and sounds great, they will sell a lot of these. People with synths will be able to set this right on top of their synth, and change parameters/presets automatically by feeding it midi from their synth.

AStrangeDay likes this.
  3. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I played it at the show. I am hooked.

Damn, 2020 will be an expensive year, indeed.

corbetta likes this.
  4. Jazzmaster60

Jazzmaster60 Member

Thanks for the good reminder of the perils of ancient digital . It’s always tempted me ,it’s always there ............ I’ve not succumbed .

vlammie and stagolee like this.
  5. vlammie

vlammie Member

Having low decay, mids decay and crossover makes my inner lexicon-geek happy, but having these controls on faders so you can adjust them all at the same time makes soooo much sense!
    This will really take it out of the 'effects pedal' category into 'instrument in itself' for sound design stuff.
    Thanks @chaseblissaudio !

6. placebo62

placebo62 Member

Did they comment on price?

7. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

I didn’t ask.

8. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Well damn

vlammie likes this.
  9. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

This does look and sound fab, and if I had money to burn, I'd be interested. But I'm confused - an actual PCM can be had for about £500, and the Lexicon Native plug-in suite is $500. I'm sure the R & D and quality of the build etc. totally justifies the cost of $750, but why spend so much on something when the actual algorithms can be had for cheaper. Is it the form-factor, or the novelty, or the convenience for us guitarists?

10. vlammie

vlammie Member

The interface of (Moving) faders is definitely worth the price difference in my opinion...

Butch1970 and hippieboy like this.
  11. johnetone

johnetone Member

You’re confused because you’re looking at prices of PCMs instead of the prices of 224s.

and tbf, I think using this on guitar only would be like using an F16 to draw eggplants in the sky.

Meris got their initial start with 500 series modules back in the day. and CBA has been making more and more things that seem just as suited to a tabletop as a floor.

The Automatone line will surely see some floor use among the ruling class of guitarists upon their pedal limousines. But I also think they will be very popular with synth players, studios and foh engineers of touring bands.

so even though we’re talking about this on TGP, I feel like we’re not completely the intended use case for such a grandiose device. The CXM 1978 transcends “guitar pedal” and belongs to a higher order along with Moogerfoogers.

12. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, this had me looking at the Lexicon plugin bundles (starting at $99!) and thinking well why wouldn’t I just buy the real thing and have way more sounds and flexibility? And for live use I guess I’m just way less picky about the subtle nuances. A Big Sky, Mercury 7, or even a Supermoon could cover the big lush stuff for me.

It’s cool, and probably sounds great knowing the folks involved, but at these price points I guess my practical/responsible side kicks in. Found my limit!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Not Orange likes this.
  13. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

this is what sprung to mind

“talk about pissing away your money, i hope you kids see what a silly waste of resources this was”
    “but he worked realiy hard grandma”
    “so do washing machines”

Not Orange and johnetone like this.
  14. tofudoom

tofudoom Member

And if you have a UAD interface, you can buy a Lexicon 224 plugin for $349--which uses the exact code from the 224, models the input transformers, etc.

Not Orange and johnetone like this.
  15. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

So a UAD interface ($500) along w $349 worth of plugins can get the same sounds? How much is the computer I’ll need to run those on, and how do I attach it to my pedalboard?

16. tofudoom

tofudoom Member

That's why I said if you have a UAD interface. And, presumably, if you have an interface, you also have a computer. Also, UAD plugins run on the interface, not your computer.

Anyway, hopefully, this will be cheaper than buying a UAD interface and the plugin. However, the plugin is the literal Lexicon 224 algorithms (all 9 of them), rather than a take on three of them.

Really, this seems more like it's own thing, rather than a replacement for the 224, PCM, etc. Which is great, I'm sure it will sound excellent.

PSD likes this.
  17. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Ah, I'm beginning to see the thinking behind this - the penny drops!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexicon-...770310?hash=item288ce8f986:g:nLsAAOSw50BdrdAl

I can see why the format would work. And in this context, it looks cheap! But maybe Joel should have collaborated with Lexicon?!

18. johnetone

johnetone Member

Too much red tape dealing with those larger companies though.

Plus, Meris and CBA are part of the new wave of talented designers and marketers. Just like any industry, there’s the tried and true forever brands, and the up and coming talent that brings new life and growth.

vlammie likes this.
  19. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of the 'sound' from those old units was there a/d/a converters, etc... Joel and Meris seem to be using the lo/med/hi-fi setting to reduce fidelity (on purpose) to achieve similar to the original's sound.

This is just my personal opinion, but where I hope they are spending their waking hours are on those three algorithms. They don't need more of them, they just need to make sure each of those three is absolutely perfect. Glides, reflections, delay within delay....all the things that Lexicon's engineers worked out so they could achieve those sounds. I'm more worried about that aspect than any other part of it. Short of literally receiving the algos from Lexicon they'll have a lot of work on their hands to truly get the reverbs to the same level.

20. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Agree with all of this (except I don't like the faders). The stereo sounds great on the one clip where you can hear that, but NAMM clips recording with camera/phone mics is the WORST way to judge a pedal that is shooting for rack quality. We will have to wait for properly recorded demos/clips to hear how close they truly got.