New Chase Bliss / Meris CXM 1978

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vlammie, Jan 14, 2020.

1. guitarman92

guitarman92 Member

Then I’ll call them fraternal twins rather than identical twins

2. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Of course software and preset manager exists I meant something fast and easy for live settings, not in a desktop computer or screen hehe.

Gallery likes this.
  3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Lexicon 224 w the Plate algo made for a pedalboard!!!!!

Over the moon happy about this. Never thought it’d happen. I’m preordering the moment they put it up.

To those of you that haven’t tried the old Lexicon racks like the 224, PCM 80/90, you’re in for a treat. It’s hard to describe how good they sound other than to say they sound real, and not at all digital. The Plate algorithms by themselves are worth the price of admission. Does it sound better than whatever you’re currently using? Unless your current reverb was built by Bricasti, this will sound significantly better than whatever you’re using. No qualifiers. No “your mileage may vary”. There’s just nothing better sounding than those original Lexi verbs.

4. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

The Empress Echosystem (and Reverb?) LED’s will light up when you turn the knobs to the current preset. Not sure of any others.

hippieboy likes this.
  5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Maybe CB can team up with somebody to make a little 2290 delay box too.

6. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

My favorite company and possibly the coolest too!

Shoegazer47 and hippieboy like this.
  7. webs

webs Member

I am cautiously optimistic about the sudden emergence of these wildly unapologetic, spare-no-expense units. I love seeing the envelope pushed. I love that pedals are developing into mature and uncompromising sound design. I do not love that I'm even considering a pedal that's priced like a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Player Stratocaster, and what that might mean for the future of the industry.

The new form factor is obviously magnificent - but surely we could be allowed to have the same algorithms for a peasant's ransom of $300 or 350. I'll be disappointed if all the hard work and top-notch sound designs start to get locked away behind prohibitively expensive hardware.

8. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

For those more familiar with the inspiration for this, would you say this would work in front of a NMV amp or does it 'need' to be in a loop? I have no loop but LOVE plate reverb. Somewhat getting by with a Dr. Scientist RRR but it gets a little 'dirtier' out front than I like a lot of the time.

9. aisling

aisling Supporting Member

Yeah with the salvation Army or a local food bank, so the pricing isn't purely aristocratic and high brow.

10. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

pitch factor too, but it's cumbersome, you have to move the knobs and the lights tell you if you have moved too much or too less.

11. triviani

triviani Member

I agree with everything you say, and this is a very good point.

Flouncingfleasbag likes this.
  12. guitarman92

guitarman92 Member

And that’s what’s making me hopeful for non-automated versions of these pedals. Keep the midi functionality, but save money without the motors.

13. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I tried to get verb sounds on the floor that were as good as my old rack verbs, going through Big Sky, Wet, & Eventide H9, before biting the bullet and going back to rack effects. There's something about the PCM81 verbs that just does it for me. I'm also partial to the Eventide Orville and Eclipse, but they mostly get used for delay, and that mysterious netherworld between delay and verb.

14. raj007

raj007 Supporting Member

Come on, come on...let’s hit that $1,000 mark. Come on CBA, hit that $1,000 mark. We need it. Do it. Pop the hood. Do it.

Not Orange, Shoegazer47 and johnetone like this.
  15. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Not Orange, johnetone and hippieboy like this.
  16. placebo62

placebo62 Member

funny, I just spent last night searching online for old lexicon racks and plugins, I think this could be the perfect solution.

17. vlammie

vlammie Member

We don't know yet what the price will be, but to give some perspective on this;

In the studio world, the only hardware reverb with motorized faders I know is the TC electronic System 6000. I've sold a few of these, they retail for 12500€, so around 15000$? They have 4 engines, so it's not the same of course, but if the CXM 1978 is 'only' 1/20 of that price, it's still a steal for studio use.

It looks like they expanded on the Meris Mercury 7, since that one only has 2 basic algorithms (cathedral, ultraplate), and this one has 3 (hall, room, plate).
    I never played with a real 224 (although the Universal Audio plug-in version is excellent) but I have experience with the Lexicon 480, 960, PCM 70-80-90-etc.
    It's a good time to be alive.

18. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

mk2 with touch screen LED “motors” in half the size.

wait that’s an idea....

19. tofudoom

tofudoom Member

The Big Sky, Timeline, and Volante all have ways to easily tell where the knobs are set for each preset too. There are definitely ways to convey that information without using motorized sliders. The sliders seem like they're primarily a "cool factor" thing.

stagolee likes this.
  20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Easily? Nope.

hippieboy, cbm and TimH like this.