New Chase Bliss / Meris CXM 1978

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vlammie, Jan 14, 2020.

1. martijn

martijn Member

The question is, how close is the algorithm on the 1978? And what features does it have that the M7 doesn't?

See3po likes this.
  2. Riffa

Riffa Member

I was born :cool:

3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I've been thinking about getting a reverb to serve duty in the loop of my Power Station. This thing is way overkill for that, right?

4. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

The potential for future CBA collaborations boggle the mind. I think that with the help of their collaborators, CBA is really going to push fx pedal developments into the new frontier.

5. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

The R&D is done for this design, mechanics.... so i'm hoping that the cost will be similar to the Automatone, if not cheaper, due to the DSP vs analog nature of the CXM1978, Automatone.

6. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

I was thinking this morning that a collaboration with Howard Gee for his Belle Epoch Deluxe Deluxe would be swell. Sound on sound! It would have to be a new form factor though as the regular CBA pedals are too small for full size thru hole components, and I’m not paying 700+ for the Automatone thingy.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  7. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

This looks fantastic and I can't wait to hear it. I know Meris can do great algorithms, I just wonder if the analog hardware + DSP combo will be able to match the greatness of the old Lexicons. (Love my PCM80...where is Italo to tear this to thread to shreads, btw? Yes, I know he was prob banned.)

Strymon big boxes will turn the preset LED (if you're on an 'A' preset, the 'A' LED changes) from green to orange if you move a knob. It will go back to green if you return it to the saved clock position. Pretty easy to find out what your saved position was. Some of the menu parameters do not have this. Overall I think it's a good system though.

On Strymon small boxes, if you have the favorite setting engaged and then move a knob, the favorite LED will be brighter or darker depending on how close the knob will be to the saved position.

Pigtronix Echolution 2 will have a dot blinking on the display if you change a parameter. I think it stops blinking if you return it to the saved position. Better than nothing but not as helpful as the Strymon to me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Meriphew likes this.
  8. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Gee-era Catalinbread (if I can coin a term) was well-regarded for combining analog preamps with DSP for delay and verb. It would be cool to see him collaborate with others on this, on a project like the CB/Meris verb.

For the record, the fading sliders (I assume that's what makes it Automatone) aspect is the biggest thing keeping me away from it. Would much rather see banks of LEDs like NORD Electro organ drawbars.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Not Orange and Buddy67 like this.
  9. Buddy67

Buddy67 Member

Howard on IG very obliquely suggested he was open to the idea of doing a BBD Delay. Having a modified Tonal Recall with the EP-3 preamp and amplifier circuit for the regular delay, and then a Blooper style degrading looper for the SOS circuit, with all sorts of expression and ramping control, is the stuff of dreams.

10. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Agreed.

11. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

12. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

That looks like Andy Othling's Partscaster (and beard). He got great sounds out of it, very cool modulation...can't say I would be able to distinguish this from the Mercury7 from these clips alone, but still tantalizing.

04andrew22, oansun and Lamby like this.
  13. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

Yeah, also not sure the feature set makes it worth double an M7 for me.

I think this 'might' be a tiny bit more of a geeky passion project that isn't intended to crush M7 sales.

Win win for all I guess.

But damn is it nice to look at. This next to the Benson with a Zoia and a few fuzzes nearby would be a hell of a board...

14. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I’m wondering the same thing. Ordered a Preamp MkII and as much as I’d like to put this beside it, I’m already using a M7 & Dark World combo... Not sure what I’d gain, besides caché.... I’m looking forward to demos and comparisons w/the M7, though.

ThinPaperWings and magnus02 like this.
  15. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

So from what we know, the Mercury7 actually seems to have a wider feature set, for most likely at least several hundreds of dollars less. Both are based on Lexicon verbs, but the Meris has modulation controls, swell, vibrato, and pitch shifting... The new one has 3 modes but the Ultraplate can be an excellent room verb with minimal effort. You have an extra EQ slider...that's it. I cannot imagine ever buying this.

Not Orange and mamsk like this.
  16. mattymel

mattymel Member

I’d bite hard if it was a reverb AND delay pedal. Somebody needs to do Chase Bliss/Meris quality pedal like that specifically for synths. I’m sick of needing multiple pedal setups for multiple synths. This would be my dream. Especially if it sounds as good as I’m sure the 1978 will.

Agreed that the automatone may seem gimmicky at first, until you remember all the times you saved presets on other fancy pedals and accidentally jiggle one knob and your preset spins off into unwanted oscillation or goes away, etc.

It’s actually an ideal concept. The faders are a little over the top. But the functionality is THERE in a big way if it works well.

Also, the size looks smaller than a Big Sky, much less the Volante. AND it’s got automatic faders???? If it’s in the $750 too, I’d bite.

Guarantee this becomes the new standard by 2030. I say Bravo!

I’d actually be 100% on preorder if this was in a Eurorack format. To me this is a synth pedal, more than guitar.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  17. saintzanus

saintzanus Member

On studio mixers with flying faders, there’s often a button you can push that switches the faders to control something other than volume.

instead of the tank mod button, I’d rather a fader-alt button that switches all the faders to give precision control of the tank mod, diffusion, stereo spread etc.

18. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

You're totally right, but I've been down the vintage, digital, rack rabbit hole. I've had too many die and become expensive doorstops. They are a money pit. 30-40 year old digital gear will just stop working for a number of reasons that can either be expensive to fix or completely unfixable. I have a server tower full of rack stuff that doesn't work anymore. It's a tall monument to broken digital sadness. :(

It was liberating when I finally gave up and just accepted modern pedals will help me play more music for a longer period of time.

I'm not trying to crap on the vintage rack parade. I'm just happy somebody is making new stuff that recalls the early digital era instead of a hundred digital tape echos and digital spring reverbs.

19. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Have they listed a price on this yet?

20. seanp33

seanp33 Member

See post #102:

Footbutt likes this.