• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Chase Tone pedal - '68 Red Velvet Fuzz

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I run the RV Fuzz with the bass knob all the way down. Does anyone else find it to be very bass-heavy? Does anyone know if the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face (being a bc183 as well) is as bassy?

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried reading the manual or website? It isn't suppose to be just a normal bass adjuster.
It says “reduces bass frequencies”. Turned all the way down, it still sounds too bass heavy to me. Maximizing this control in the clockwise direction removes it from the circuit. Adjusting in a counter-clockwise direction adjusts the headroom clipping of the input. No matter where I set it, there’s too much bass for my taste. I never tried a Dunlop FF with just Volume and Fuzz knobs. Are they just bass heavy by default?

Perry D.

Silver Supporting Member
Are they just bass heavy by default?
Yes, I think in general, all FF pedals tend to have a strong bass response.
I have found the sweet spot on my RVF is: mids-12:00, feel-2:00, and bass at 10:00. These setting, for my taste, keeps the fuzz tight (more like a dist pedal) and not spitty. YMMV.

jimijimmyjeffy

Definitely an accomplished player and a good fuzz. Something about fuzzfaces and strats.

It's like impossible to hear a great fuzz and not have a small part of you want it. I use a low gain FF but something to be said for a tad more. That one also is less boring than some FFs..

CEFlint

I'll run my RV into a Snouse BB2. Typically, these are the only dirt pedals I use. Alone each pedal does exactly what I need. Combined and using my volume/tone knobs, I can easily go from clean to classic fuzz and anywhere between. With guitar volume at 6 and a Tele bridge pickup, I've got a great rock rhythm sound. Kick it up to 8 for a Marshallesque lead tone. Flip to the neck pickup in it's a blues tone treasure house. Both extremely versatile and well built pedals.

RV settings are Mids 10:30, Feel 2:00, Bass 12:00, Vol 2:00, Fuzz 1:30.

miklet

It says “reduces bass frequencies”. Turned all the way down, it still sounds too bass heavy to me. Maximizing this control in the clockwise direction removes it from the circuit. Adjusting in a counter-clockwise direction adjusts the headroom clipping of the input. No matter where I set it, there’s too much bass for my taste. I never tried a Dunlop FF with just Volume and Fuzz knobs. Are they just bass heavy by default?
Have you tried stacking the RVF into a light gain OD? I do it with a Jan Ray clone and it kinds of tame the lows (and highs as well).

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I highly doubt you will get along with most Fuzz Face variants then. Removing the bass with the RV leaves you with a more close-to-stock circuit so... I can't imagine a BC183 being overly bassy as most silicon FF's are generally brighter than germanium.

What's your amp and guitar setup?
Mostly a Strat and JTM (Germino Classic 45) or JMP (Germino Lead 35). I also have a Wren and Cuff Your Face 60's (germanium) and a Your Face 70's (silicon BC108). I don't find either of those bass heavy. The 60's is actually my favorite. With the bass entirely rolled off on the RVF it's cool. I was wondering if an Eric Johnson FF (which I believe is also a BC183) is generally bassy...

kingofrats

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how gnarly/spitty/messed up this fuzz can get with the Feel knob all the way down?

MasterEvan07

Where's that buzzing coming from...?
Gold Supporting Member
I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how gnarly/spitty/messed up this fuzz can get with the Feel knob all the way down?
That’s not really its jam. It gets softer/squishier and loses headroom with the Feel max CCW, the feel of the attack changes, but it doesn’t do starved voltage/can-of-bees

Last edited:
How does the Red Velvet pair with a Uni-Vibe in front of it? From my experience, Fuzz Faces tend to thin out a lot when a Uni-Vibe is placed in front.

How does the Red Velvet pair with a Uni-Vibe in front of it? From my experience, Fuzz Faces tend to thin out a lot when a Uni-Vibe is placed in front.
I have this pedal. It's the best Fuzz Face I've ever had. Because of the extra EQ , you can really tailor the sound to be great with anything IMO. And the one thing that separate this from ex the Sunface BC183 is that this one is useful at lower ranges aswell. Dont get me wrong. I love Analogman. But I just felt that you had to crank it pretty high to get good sounds.
In terms of Uni Vibe. I have not tried that because I dont own one at the moment. But Im sure it will work well with that too.

finom1

Sabbadius Oct-Up Fuzz Tone (Some great tones) gives you that Jimi Hendrix Octavio Woodstock sound!!!

Man so much fun!!! What do you think???

Have fun!

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
I found that I can't run the volume and fuzz all the way up, if you back them off a bit to say 3 o clock some of that bass goes away, it seems counter intuitive with a fuzz but the knobs on the rvf are very interactive

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
So I prefer germanium fuzzes and I have been trying to kick the rvf off my board and I can't... I tried a handful of lovepedal, solidgoldfx even a sunface but the rvf is perfect, I can reduce bass and add mids and a huge thing for me is that it works after a wah, no buffers or anything and it sounds great where I prefer the sound of germanium when it's rolled off it can be harder to use

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
I found that I can't run the volume and fuzz all the way up, if you back them off a bit to say 3 o clock some of that bass goes away, it seems counter intuitive with a fuzz but the knobs on the rvf are very interactive
Yeah! I tried this and it is working really good for me. It seems that I needed to crank up the volume to around 3:00 or so. I had it too low!

underdog726

I had one delivered yesterday but really wont have a chance with it till Tuesday. Looking forward to it. It will go before my favorite OD the Klamac El'Mo into a 63 vibroverb ri. I am admittedly a SRV tone kinda guy and feel I need to have a fuzz on my board. Hopefully we all get along with each other.

mattt67

Hey there
I’m really interested in the Red Velvet. Could you guys please tell me if it can do silicon fuzz types of tones? From the demos, it sounds more like a germanium. I have a MJM London germanium fuzz which is a great pedal, but not exactly what I’m looking for, I want the brighter, more aggressive silicon tone with guitar volume on full.
Will I be happy with the Red Velvet?
Thanks for your help

Hey there
I’m really interested in the Red Velvet. Could you guys please tell me if it can do silicon fuzz types of tones? From the demos, it sounds more like a germanium. I have a MJM London germanium fuzz which is a great pedal, but not exactly what I’m looking for, I want the brighter, more aggressive silicon tone with guitar volume on full.
Will I be happy with the Red Velvet?
Thanks for your help
It doesn't excell at those more agressive tones like a BC108/BC109 equipped fuzz, like we can hear it on Pink Floyd records. I see it more as a germanium type sound without the disadvantages of an actual germanium fuzz.

mattt67

It doesn't excell at those more agressive tones like a BC108/BC109 equipped fuzz, like we can hear it on Pink Floyd records. I see it more as a germanium type sound without the disadvantages of an actual germanium fuzz.
Thanks, that’s what I thought from the demos. I’ll probably keep looking for something else (maybe a Fulltone 70s)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom