• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

New Chris Cornell Album- Take A listen

proreverb68

This one is going to open him up to a whole new audience who might not have previously recognized how killer this guys voice always was and is.

He definitely takes it off road in this one.

I think it will break down a few walls between styles of music.

Digging "long gone"...and "enemy" is interesting as well...
I think of it as a musican trying new things...looking forward to seeing what he brings for the live tour...
also looking forward to seeing how this album influences the style of his next!

Check out the new Cornell stuff here...
http://www.myspace.com/chriscornell
peace

Last edited:

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
Heard it a few months ago...produced by Timbaland.
Definitely a change in direction.

wideawake

Love Cornell, but some lines it seems shouldn't be crossed. Or maybe this is what is really inside of him these days. I can't like everything.

slippyknees

Love Soundgarden.....meh on Audioslave.....gotta say, this just isn't good in any way shape or form. I mean.....really? :huh I'm kinda speechless.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, that is....well IMHO, that is just terrible. I think Chris has an amazing voice and is very talented, but this is...well I am going to say it...just ridiculous.

clothwiring

I will not be buying this. If anything this will alienate his fans and probably not earn him many new ones. I don't feel artists have to reinvent themselves constantly to be great artists. He IS a great singer and with the right group of people is a great artist.

blownirocz

Suppoutin' Memba Sinss Dem Oud Dayz...
Gold Supporting Member
Wow! Change in direction might be a bit of an understatement. Gotta give the guy credit for following the musical path that his artistic nature is leading him through...

But I don't know that this album will "break down" any barriers of genre. My guess is that he may be discovered by a entirely new audience, who never knew he existed, and some may go listen to some of his older stuff. But I have a hard time believing that any would-be fans of this album, would suddenly become interested in "Outshined" or "Spoonman". To me, they are polar opposites.

I'm too old and set in my musical ways, and loved "Superunknown", "Badmotorfinger", and "Audioslave" too much to find any of his new stuff of any interest, other than for the curiousity and coolness to follow the musical journey of someone that is in my top three singers of all time list (read: I won't be buying it).

So in my humble opinion (and take it for the two cents it's probably worth), I doubt they'll be much "crossing over" here...

EDIT: And I read some posts that were written as I was typing mine, and it seems I might be on the right track here. ;)

Last edited:

gag halfrunt

A fellow of infinite jest
Love Soundgarden.....meh on Audioslave.....gotta say, this just isn't good in any way shape or form. I mean.....really? :huh I'm kinda speechless.
I totally agree with this. I love Chris' other stuff. Even some Audioslave was OK. This is just a mess, imo. :confused:

Too bad, really.

GregoryL

I hope this is a publicity stunt - I can typically find some merit in everything, but this sucks.

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
Yikes. I wasn't expecting that! I definitely won't be purchasing this album. Although to be fair, I wasn't a fan of his previous solo album either. I was, however, a fan of Soundgarden, so it's disappointing to see him move farther away from that. Especially with this new music.

proreverb68

I understand the initial shock...but cmon...

Most musicians I know...including myself...listen to ...and play all sorts of music...
yesterday I was listening to early medieval vocal music...
Today I was listening to jazz, tomorrow folk...whatever i feel like listening or playing I play. Last month I was listening to black star..rap.

I experiment with keys and see what I can come up with...
I put all sorts of things up that I wouldnt necessarily go into the studio with.

I think it would be cool to work with some really flowing rap artist.

I'm not going to get into is it good or bad..as thats too subjective...but face it...we are used to an artist sticking to one style for ever.
But...one reason big time musicians stick to one style is because their record companys/ labels/ pocket books often wont have it otherwise.

Most musicians listen to everything..bluegrass,,rock...classical...soundtracks....whatever..its all music.

Sticking to one style for a lifetime would get old for me.

I think he's probably always liked all sorts of music...not just rock.

Last edited:

prsnstrat

I think it would be great stuff if there was more guitar...no seriously though, the songs are there, the instrumentation is not.

prsnstrat

Funny, I thought his voice sounded stronger than the prior Audioslave stuff. He's apparently quit smoking, etc....so that always helps. I still contend that the songs and hooks are all there, almost moreso than his last album...but it lacks that edge (i.e., the guitars!) that he's always had in some capacity.

straticus

Wow. I really liked Soundgarden and Euphoria is one of my favorite CD's. But this is nothing new. It may be new for Chris Cornell but now he sounds like everything else on the radio. It already sounds dated. Not a good move IMHO.

puckhead

I think it would be great stuff if there was more guitar...no seriously though, the songs are there, the instrumentation is not.
He has added a keyboardist to the last tour I saw, but it is still a very, very guitar-heavy show.
I heard him do the first song on the myspace site (Part of Me) recently on tour, and it was a lot more rock than this version.
and his voice is still simply amazing.

rnm14

I kind of liked the live version of "Long Gone" that he played on some tv show. But I don't like what I'v heard from the album at all. It should have been a collaboration between Timbaland and Chris, but it turned out to be a generic and bland Timabaland production IMHO. Also I have seen a video for one of the new tracks on MTV Germany and was actually disgusted. It looked like a Justin Timberlake video and the chorus was something like "that bitch ain't a part of me". WTF?

Trending Topics