New Church Album!

Nevets

No not the place where most of TGP plays their weekly gig, the long running Australian band who have just released their 24th or 25th album (can't recall which), Further/Deeper and it's pretty brilliant. Marty Willson-Piper is sitting this one out, and he's missed, but Ian Haug of Powderfinger is acquitting himself ably. If you've ever liked any of their stuff, or just like intelligent guitar based music aimed at adults then give it a listen!

Hearing rumors of a North American tour next year too. I'm amazed that these guys are still bringing it well into their 50's.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the heads up. Among the best bands from the 80's, their music still sounds as fresh and pertinent as ever. I can't recall ever hearing any of their songs that I didn't like, and 'Under the Milky Way' is a particular favorite.

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
. If you've ever liked any of their stuff, or just like intelligent guitar based music aimed at adults then give it a listen!
Hmm....I've liked them since I was in my early teens.

Thanks for the heads up. Among the best bands from the 80's, their music still sounds as fresh and pertinent as ever. I can't recall ever hearing any of their songs that I didn't like, and 'Under the Milky Way' is a particular favorite.
Definitely. Starfish is one of those albums I'd put in my top 10, something I never get tired of hearing after all these years. I've sadly never managed to ever catch them live though all this time.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
One of my favorite bands of all time. Thanks for the heads up on the new album. I knew Marty was stepping away, but didn't know who was sitting in for him so thanks for that news, too.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
Didn't Waddy Wachtel play on Under The Milky Way? Maybe he co-produced the session. Remember reading something about that?

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
Nice to see they're still putting out tunes. I kind of lost track after Hologram of Baal, which was an album I liked, oddly enough.

metropolis74

I'm a big fan of The Church. Haven't followed them the past few years but I still listen to their old tunes regularly. Glad they're still at it after all these years. Funny I was just checking out their facebook page and watched the new video right before logging in here and seeing this thread.

I'm definitely going to catch them if they tour next year. Too bad Marty is sitting this one out. He was a big influence on me when I was learning to play guitar. My favorite part of seeing The Church live was Marty wail away on his 12 string Rickenbacker (he disproves the myth that Ricks are only good for rhythm) I'm not sure what the new guy will bring to the table. He's got some big shoes to fill in my opinion.

metropolis74

Didn't Waddy Wachtel play on Under The Milky Way? Maybe he co-produced the session. Remember reading something about that?
Waddy produced Starfish (the album Under the Milky Way is on) with
Greg Ladanyi. I don't think Waddy played on any tracks to my knowledge.

Waddy also produced another Church album, Gold Afternoon Fix.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
I can't seem to buy it anywhere. Not on iTunes or Amazon. Has it been released in the US yet? I heard the first single and it was wonderful. Huge fan of the band and I've been waiting for this record but I can't seem to find out where I can buy it.

Thanks

flume

Double Platinum Member
US release coming soon - sit tight and nab it soon! The new single is just mindblowing...they know how to conjure that hopeful yet tragic melancholy in the span of one chord change like no other band.

Been deeply into and influenced by them since around 83...and the material I turn to again and again is more from the 2000's onward.

Seems like many people fell away after Starfish. Understandable. But I must insist (if you've read this far and dont have it) to immediately purchase After Everything Now This. More magic packed into that disc than most bands entire recorded output. An overlooked masterpiece.

Nevets

I can't seem to buy it anywhere. Not on iTunes or Amazon. Has it been released in the US yet? I heard the first single and it was wonderful. Huge fan of the band and I've been waiting for this record but I can't seem to find out where I can buy it.

Thanks
I preordered a copy from Australia that should be in the mail by now. Google Play music has it up for streaming already, not sure about the other streaming services.

Nevets

Seems like many people fell away after Starfish. Understandable. But I must insist (if you've read this far and dont have it) to immediately purchase After Everything Now This. More magic packed into that disc than most bands entire recorded output. An overlooked masterpiece.
:agree

I fell away after Gold Afternoon Fix and then recently picked up After Everything Now This and was blown away. Caught up with the rest of their albums released in the 90's and 2000's and am kicking myself for overlooking such great music. In my defense they are so under the radar that I didn't even know they were still going!

flume

Double Platinum Member
You are forgiven...now, to repent, tell a friend about this new one and spread the word. They've always been a word of mouth band at heart. Those who follow; know.:phones

:agree

I fell away after Gold Afternoon Fix and then recently picked up After Everything Now This and was blown away. Caught up with the rest of their albums released in the 90's and 2000's and am kicking myself for overlooking such great music. In my defense they are so under the radar that I didn't even know they were still going!

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Agreed 1000%, beautiful album...from the cover photo to the songs. That was actually my fall away point, didn't keep up after that one. My loss, I really need to catch up.

flume

Double Platinum Member
You too are forgiven. Your penance is to purchase Uninvited Like the Clouds which contains the absolute breathtaking beautiful gem "Day 5". No, I will not post a youtube clip and insult your intelligence. You're better than that. And once you have it, proceed on and as with Nevets; TELL A FRIEND!:aok

Agreed 1000%, beautiful album...from the cover photo to the songs. That was actually my fall away point, didn't keep up after that one. My loss, I really need to catch up.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Gold Supporting Member
Last time I saw them was at the Birchmere where they played Untitled #23, Magician among the Spirits and Starfish in their entirety. Epic.

I'll be honest...still miss Richard Ploog...

Odd about MWP, still, I think Peter Koppes is awesome, he is the seminal cool Strat man!