1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Cilia - Finished

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BoyMambo, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Body: Quilt Big Leaf Maple (The body is one piece, but we cut the top off just below the binding and chambered it.)
    Neck: Flamed Rock Maple
    Fingerboard: Brazillian Rosewood
    Pickups: Cilia Handwound
    Tone: Seriously good.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

3. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

very nice . can I have it!

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

WOW!!!!

Awesome!!!

5. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Great guitar, but I'm a little confused about the name...

[​IMG]

6. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

The maker was bought up in a Maltese family who's surname was Cilia. Out of interest, I am no expert but I think that Cilia is also the name of the hairs in your ears that transmit the air vibrations (sound) in your ear to the nerves.

7. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

A mate took a shot at a gig, so I thought I would share it

[​IMG]

8. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

Haha, another AGGH'er. On TGP of all places :crazyguy

That's a beautiful guitar mate. I'm really digging the quilted top, and I've only heard good things about Charles' workmanship and service :drink

9. Grenville

Grenville Member

Looks like a fair bit of custom gear in that pic...

... hand-knitted cardigan by any chance????

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

Very nice looking guitar. How does it sound being an all maple body + maple neck? Very bright?

11. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

That was my main fear when I was specifying the guitar, but the guitar sounds great. What I think made the difference was that fact that it was a softer quilt maple combined with the cavities in the body with the primary one being behind the bridge.

What is quite amazing is the speed of the attack of the note.

12. MartinC

MartinC Member

Cool. Glad it worked out for you. And there is always a little bit of fear ... for me anyway. I ordered a custom Suhr Classic last year and, even though it was a tried and tested recipe (alder+maple/rosewood 'board) it was a mixture of about 80% excitement 20% fear 'til it arrived. Good onya' for stepping outside the square!

13. BoyMambo

BoyMambo Member

Been an interesting year and a half since I have posted anything about this remarkable guitar. Just a quick catch up, in the last year and a half I have been very lucky, reached the goal of five years in remission after a particularly nasty melanoma, my family and I have built a new house (with a music room), finished a difficult work project, joined weekend warrior and when given a chance I have been really enjoying the opportunity to play this guitar.

This is definitely my "go to" guitar, it has worked in a blues, rock and jazz situation really well. Did Weekend Warrior and the guitar sounded great (despite the Marshall Solid State amp). The guitar now has some tough competition, PRS BRW Ltd McCarty, PRS Custom 22 (SemiHollow), PRS SAS (with Callahan vintage bridge saddles) and another Cilia Singlecut. All great guitars, but this one is still my preference. When I play it I am still astounded with the clarity and sustain. What I will say is that this guitar is probably not a guitar for the faint hearted, because of the clarity, you can hear every technical mistake (plenty), but I believe that this has actually helped my playing, wanting to get the best out of the instrument I practice more. Being in IT, I tend to get bored quite quickly, but this guitar has sustained my interest. Possibly the greatest sign of a good guitar is that I have not bought another, or been particularly interested in seeking out any other high end instruments. Probably the final interesting event is that when I have my jam buddies over, this guitar is always the first grabbed of the rack by them.

Charles Cilia, the luthier has had an up and down year, moving house and has created new premises. I understand he is working on a website, which when it is up and running I shall post a link.

After a year and a half, this is defintely a great guitar without any warranty issues or build issues, and oddly the more I play it, the better it gets or perhaps I enjoy it.

Good luck with your custom guitar choice it is an interesting and worthwhile experience.