New Clapton and Morrison together recording! Nice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I never think of Van as just "Morrison." Not wrong with that of course, not a critique of the OP's title! But I typically see or say either Van Morrison or Van the Man. Or Van like the image in the video. I guess the Van is so distinctive and Morrison is just another last name.

So anyway, I thought this was going to be Jim Morrison. And obviously not new!

Looks like they're trying to deflect the criticism of their previous recent recordings by casting themselves as rebels.

I'll say I did cut them some slack based on a similar idea when they were getting ripped. Though I look more to Jim Morrison when it comes to defining a rebel, but whatever.

Last edited:

AculaMD

Indeed, and it's laughable that they'd try to cast themselves as "rebels".
Depends on how one measures such things. This duo has gotten blowback from seemingly every music blogger and outlet over their previously released songs.

Compare that to indie darlings and supposedly edgy artists that are marketed as such (in other words, as rebels) that are nonetheless wholly embraced and pushed by the industry as well as the tastemaker publications like Pitchfork.

I’m not saying this song is good (I don’t think it is), nor am I saying that being a “rebel” is inherently virtuous and something to be celebrated (I think it depends.) But I do think these ancient rockers have more of a claim to the “rebel” title than the majority of young hip artists out there today: Van and Clap are saying things that actually go against the orthodoxy.

I’m not too plugged in, so I’d genuinely love an example of a real rebel in music right now that’s unafraid to say or do truly taboo things that their label, managers, or the feature writers at coastal publications would disapprove of.

Again, not trying to make any claims on the validity of this duo’s worldview. Merely commenting on what’s considered truly rebellious in 2021.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on how one measures such things. This duo has gotten blowback from seemingly every music blogger and outlet over their previously released songs.

Compare that to indie darlings and supposedly edgy artists that are marketed as such (in other words, as rebels) that are nonetheless wholly embraced and pushed by the industry as well as the tastemaker publications like Pitchfork.

I’m not saying this song is good (I don’t think it is), nor am I saying that being a “rebel” is inherently virtuous and something to be celebrated (I think it depends.) But I do think these ancient rockers have more of a claim to the “rebel” title than the majority of young hip artists out there today: Van and Clap are saying things that actually go against the orthodoxy.

I’m not too plugged in, so I’d genuinely love an example of a real rebel in music right now that’s unafraid to say or do truly taboo things that their label, managers, or the feature writers at coastal publications would disapprove of.

Again, not trying to make any claims on the validity of this duo’s worldview. Merely commenting on what’s considered truly rebellious in 2021.
Rock and roll has always been about millionaires in their 70’s rebelling against young people, after all.

chopsley

Gold Supporting Member

I'm not going to comment on "indie darlings and supposedly edgy artists" aspect (in this era it's hard to imagine any popular artist being remotely rebellious). But just because a couple of millionaires who've been part of the rock business for going on 50 years spout some (rightfully) unpopular opinions, that doesn't make them "rebels". I mean, they've got nothing to lose at this point; they can retreat to their mansions in the English countryside if they want to. YMMV.

AculaMD

I'm not going to comment on "indie darlings and supposedly edgy artists" aspect (in this era it's hard to imagine any popular artist being remotely rebellious). But just because a couple of millionaires who've been part of the rock business for going on 50 years spout some (rightfully) unpopular opinions, that doesn't make them "rebels". I mean, they've got nothing to lose at this point; they can retreat to their mansions in the English countryside if they want to. YMMV.
So you would say being wealthy/having a safety net automatically precludes someone from being able to “rebel.”

Merriam-Webster defines rebel (in the verb form) as “to oppose or disobey one in authority or control.”

With Clapton’s anti-vax opinions, he’s opposing multiple world governments’ line on vaccines, as well as most of the media and corporations.

Definitionally I think that makes him a rebel. Which isn’t good or bad, imo. Just a statement of fact.

chopsley

Gold Supporting Member
So you would say being wealthy/having a safety net automatically precludes someone from being able to “rebel.”

Merriam-Webster defines rebel (in the verb form) as “to oppose or disobey one in authority or control.”

With Clapton’s anti-vax opinions, he’s opposing multiple world governments’ line on vaccines, as well as most of the media and corporations.

Definitionally I think that makes him a rebel. Which isn’t good or bad, imo. Just a statement of fact.
This is likely to stray into thread-lockage if it goes much further along these lines, and I've already contributed enough to thread derailment, so I'll just say that I find Webster's definition to be sorely lacking when I think about what it really means to be a "rock 'n' roll rebel"; if that definition works for you, knock yourself out.

0_0

Being well aware of Clapton's and Morrison's personal beliefs, I am not going to judge the song based solely on that.

I don't find this song that interesting. Somewhat catchy but it sounds sloppy and unfocused with multiple voices all singing at different times and that pretty much ruins it for me. Sounds like drunken old farts at the pub on a Thursday night.

And what is up with Eric's guitar tone? It sounds pretty flat and sterile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics