New Clapton and Morrison together recording! Nice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsley

Gold Supporting Member
They certainly were in the '60s and probably before some of the re-pliers here were even born.
Maybe they were, but that was a long time ago. In any case, they most definitely aren't now. FWIW, I was born in '67, so I remember them mostly as semi- or full-on dinosaurs (who sometimes made music I liked).

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Wish they had chosen to be "Rebels" about a worthy cause.

“About six weeks later I was offered and took the second AZ shot, but with a little more knowledge of the dangers. Needless to say the reactions were disastrous, my hands and feet were either frozen, numb or burning, and pretty much useless for two weeks, I feared I would never play again, (I suffer with peripheral neuropathy and should never have gone near the needle.) But the propaganda said the vaccine was safe for everyone…”
Peripheral neuropathy is often caused by autoimmune disease. He should know that the immunoresponse from any vaccine poses a risk. He can't blame any "propaganda" here. I'll be a Clapton fan forever, but this whole chapter makes me cringe so bad.

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Silver Supporting Member
Merriam-Webster defines rebel (in the verb form) as “to oppose or disobey one in authority or control.”
I can hear my neighbor’s four year old son routinely oppose or disobey his mother, especially around bath time. I suspect his rebellion is more akin to the sort of rebellion experienced by Van Morrison and Clapton in recent years, than any sort of counter-cultural leanings associated with rock and roll. For them, that ship sailed decades ago.

GrungeMan

I liked tune & the video, it's a tribute to the artists of yesteryear, most not with us any more.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
They certainly were in the '60s and probably before some of the re-pliers here were even born.
What a weird use of a hyphen. At any rate, what does that have to do with anything? Nether was particularly “rebellious” in any meaningful way in those years, anyway, unless you just mean substance abuse.

AculaMD

I can hear my neighbor’s four year old son routinely oppose or disobey his mother, especially around bath time. I suspect his rebellion is more akin to the sort of rebellion experienced by Van Morrison and Clapton in recent years, than any sort of counter-cultural leanings associated with rock and roll. For them, that ship sailed decades ago.
I'm not seeing how this isn't counter-cultural, though. To be anti-vax, forever example, is very clearly counter-culture.

Are you suggesting at some point one gets too old to be able to be counter-cultural (and therefore rock & roll)?

The point I'm trying to make here is they are clearly being rebellious, and about as rebellious as musicians can possibly get (expressing contrarian points that defy the status quo through lyrics, typically).

You can think it's childish and disagree with it, but that would put you firmly in line with the current culture.

And maybe that's fine! I've been pushing for a definition of "rebellion" in this context in this thread because seemingly every other person thinks it's "doing a thing I personally agree with."

Maybe you're not a rebel. And unless you see being a rebel as something that's always positive and never negative, that should be fine with you.

Age is an interesting factor here: It's simultaneously being claimed here that because these guys are old, they're unlikely to be rebellious. But also they're being childish, which is the opposite of being old, stodgy, and conservative. So which is it? Is rebellion silly, childish, and contrarian, or is it conservatively maintaining the status quo?

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
What a weird use of a hyphen. At any rate, what does that have to do with anything? Nether was particularly “rebellious” in any meaningful way in those years, anyway, unless you just mean substance abuse.

That is because in sleepy London town there’s just no place for a street fightin’ man.

• Haha
Reactions: PdL

dn612

Are you suggesting at some point one gets too old to be able to be counter-cultural (and therefore rock & roll)?
This should be obvious but it's less about being old and more about being reactionary, which is not something most people associate with counter-culture as a colloquial term that got its start during the left-wing civil rights and peace movements of the 60s. While being old and reactionary go together, they don't have to.

GrungeMan

That’s an interesting take. Have you read the lyrics? They read much more like an ideologically framed critique of today, than any sort of tribute to anyone or the past. More goading, less reminiscing.
It can be both.

The artists images in the video were rebels, they found their voice, broke new ground, became Icons...

Musically, in the songs lyrics ???

Not a lot of that being done today, what new ground is being broken or stands out, in any genre, new genre ???

Years from now who will be compared to those in the video ???

Last edited:

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
The hippies were never rebels, although they thought themselves so. They were the first good little conformist consumers of pop culture though. Good little consumers who bought into so well even now their septuagenarian millionaire idol brethren are still "rebels" to them.

Hey, you can buy a Clapton Custom Shop strat for about $5000. Fight the man.
Neither Clapton nor Van Morrison were “hippies.” Unless you’re using some superficial definition that means “anybody with long hair who does drugs.”
Clapton had peripheral neuropathy long before COVID. Here he is saying it would probably cause him to retire--a half-decade ago. He's blaming the vaccines on a preexisting condition.
I think he’s blaming the vaccine on causing a flare up, not the actual condition. He should already known that anything (including a vaccine) that causes an immunoresponse can cause a flare up of his condition.
Have you guys ever heard that old Vanilli Milli song, “Blame the Rain On It?”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics