1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Classics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Jun 21, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

After all of this boutique amp hunting, I've wondered, what amps are going to be the next "Marshall Plexis", "Fender BF Twins", "Vox AC30's", and "Hiwatts"? They don't even have to be boutique, just wanted to know what you guys thought. Or has tube amplification reached sort of its highpoint now?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

I probably wouldn't put Hiwatt in there, other than Townshend live, who really used them as a definitive part of the sound of rock? The other 3 have probably been used on more records than all other amps combined, although you'd have to widen the Fender classification to include all of the BF and SF models.

The Dual Recto may join that crowd, if heavy music remains as popular as it has the past 15 years. That's the only amp that has as instantly identifiable a sound as the ones you mentioned.

Other than that, it's just specialization and refinement. Not that they're bad amps, just not unique.

Loudboy

3. Chi

Chi Member

Not a big fan of the tone fo the amp, but for high gain stuff I think the SLO might be a "new classic". To me it's tone is instantly recognizeable.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep I agree.. Hiwatts weren't that prevalent as a classic amp . They're mostly used in the Indie scene these days (and I love them!) ... Today's classics no doubt are the SLO 100 and the Dual Rectifiers.. See them and have heard them at loads of shows for many years now

ERIC

5. fenderbender4

Does anyone that we've all passed on a "holy grail amp" and in 30 years it'll be worth like $10,000? Like I've heard of some people here, who got a 1968 Marshall Plexi, and threw it away because a tube was blown and they didn't know how to fix it.

6. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

If we are talking Fender... we pretty much have to include ALL of them, the tweeds were used for almost every damn jazz and blues recordings I can think of back in the day.

And artist association is DEINFATELY a factor... if Hendrix and EVH hadn't played Plexis... I have a feeling they wouldn't be QUITE as popular as they are.

Really... I think Orange/Matamp should be included in there, they've been used in LOTS of classic British recordings and have been the sound of Stoner, Doom and Indie rock for years now.

Great post Bender:D

-TJK

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Roland JC120 is a milestone amp, ditto the Dual Rectifier.

9. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Matchless definitely belongs on the list.

10. TimH

TimH Member

+1

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Which BOogie(s) are you talking about. They've made probably over 30 different amps that I remember since Carlos used 1 back in the 70's early80's! My memory is not good for years, but I could name loads of Boogies! ERIC

12. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The oldest first the MK I and the MKII C+ are already going up in price. Both excellent amps ground breakers the first boutiques unique,,,,,cool. :cool:

The rest will follow later...

13. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

I think Dr. Z stuff will be big years from now. Especially his early designs. They sound great, are built well and are affordable as far as hand-wired stuff goes. Badcat might have a shot, but I think more time has to pass and they need some more versatillity in their line. Also, look out for Carr. Another dark horse favorite for future Classic.

14. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

"After all of this boutique amp hunting, I've wondered, what amps are going to be the next "Marshall Plexis", "Fender BF Twins", "Vox AC30's", and "Hiwatts"? "

This will depend largely on a guitar player getting famous and being highly visible with the equipment he uses. Prime example is Santana with the Mesas, then later on Metallica taking Mesa out of the Boutique level and into the mass market level.

I think the Dr Z's are the most likely candidate right now. So many players using them visible on video music channels (country and rock) and tours. You only need 1 player to hit that superstar status and yesterday's boutique maker is tomorow's millionaire.

Personally if I was to get famous, you would see me with the Aiken amps on my videos and tours. Or, if not that, I would do to Ted Weber's MASS attenuator what EVH did to the Variac.

15. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

David Gilmour comes to mind:)

16. 5150's, thanks to the European metal scene and the Americans that copy them

17. fenderbender4

I'll have to agree on the Mesa MArk IIC+, I already thought it was a classic though. It's just harder to get more amp brands out because of endorsement deals done by the mass market groups. Even PRS guitars is sort of fitting into that vein. Even if the players don't use Mesa Boogie, Fender, and Marshall, it's still the empty head chassis's on the stage.

18. fenderbender4

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of redundancy w/ amps nowadays. Even if they say "new design" they're all based off of a vintage amp at least.

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

It's fun to speculate.

If you define "classic" broadly, and include amps that are likely to be "unobtainium" in the future, the way Dumbles and Trainwrecks are now (even though they certainly don't define the music of a generation), I am guessing that several of the amps we regularly discuss here will be considered very desirable down the road.

20. fenderbender4

I'm really looking forward to when the amp that everyone "passes" up is a mass-market gem, that few people even play, yet someone will dig it out for some record in 30 years and it'll blow us all away.