New Coldplay Album - Amazing Guitar sounds

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rdba, Jun 9, 2008.

1. rdba

rdba Member

Hey guys,

i've just listend to the new Coldplay Album "Viva la Vida or Death and all his friends". I think Johnny Buckland did it again!!!He has some amazing huge Sounds and spacey sounds!!How does he get such cool sounds??is this the tc 2290 delay or just the dl-4??I love these sounds!!

What i think is very remarkable that he doesn't play that much single note riffs, like "in my place"!

What do you guys think about the album? I think they did a big step forwards.

my favourite youtubevid form coldplay is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1rV3eNcVlQ

cheers

i gotta go and watch the dutchies beat the italian!!;-):drink

2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

I have to admit that I like Violet Hill. Haven't heard the rest of the album yet, though. X&Y didn't do too much for me. Too bland.

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Reverberating beigely, one might say.

I haven't heard anything from the new album, but I'll try to keep an open mind when I do. Cool guitar sounds certainly should help. Thanks for the heads-up.

4. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Meh. The new album is another attempt by the band to be the next U2--right down to hiring Eno (even the frickin' iTunes commercial is ripped from U2's Vertigo spot from a couple years ago).

I've always loved Buckland's playing and his tones, but they're always tempered by Chris Martin's rampant douchebaggery and grand standing.

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

:agree

I can hardly stand to watch Chris Martin because of his pompous self. But I do like some of their music.

[​IMG]

6. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Aw come on, all the Itunes commercials are alike, so that one doesn't stand up. Douchebaggery....... well that one might............

I thought the second album was very solid, and the first one had cool moments. The moments on disc one that weren't real cool at least were sort of mellow and wandering, as opposed to faux grandstanding. I'll take the former, in this band's case.

X/Y needed help.

I'll definitely pick this one up, tho. As far as them "using" Eno, well Eno is freaking cool, so i say use away.

My favorite moment on disc is still Song 1 Album 1. Don't Panic i consider semi-perfect. The best example of Buckland's tones.

cheers

aaron

7. KennethC

KennethC Member

I actually found some gems on X&Y - Speed of Sound, Fix You. Love the latter, in particular.

Can't wait to hear the new album in full.

8. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

It's pretty funny that Buckland can do it all with a Rat, MXR Micro Amp and a few Boss pedals :D

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I thought he used a pair of DL-4's for delay??

10. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

And a DL4...my point being that it's all pretty standard stuff!

11. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Gotcha. good point, a lot of great sounds come from common equipment.

12. dverna

dverna Member

those gotta be vintage fender tele thinlines he uses though right?

13. zion

zion Supporting Member

"Life in Technicolor" I was listening to today. Good stuff. Simple and effective. Pulls some real nice tones and plays for the song.

14. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Agreed! He has a fairly simple rig. Great sounds.

As far as Coldplay hate goes.... whatever. There are just certain bands that people like to pick on, while others it is "cool" to like. For example, I just recently realized that I HATE Jack Johnson's music after several years of going along with the trend. And people applaud the heck out of Radiohead.... a band which I think is the "emperor's new clothes" of music. Let's be honest... is Radiohead so good that 100% of musicians and critics are in love with them?... and is Coldplay so mediocre that 50% of musicians and critics dispise them?

With that said, Chris Martin is NOT the smoothest and most unpretentious artist out there. He borderlines on self-deprication, which often comes across with an element of douchebaggery, as mentioned before.

15. dreed

dreed Member

You can write off any band in the last decade as trying to be U2. And really, who wouldn't want to be? commercial/pop or not, they're selling out crowds well into their career and seemingly only got bigger with age. Just do a search for the edge's tones on this board and you'll see how many people are trying to be U2.

I think coldplay continues to try and push themselves as a band to be bigger and better and more creative. after watching some interviews from the last record they'll list off how many bands inspire them to make better music.

as for tone...i have to say i love buckland's use of an ebow and a slide on his tele's with tons of delay. some pretty cool stuff.

16. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Radiohead's greatest days are by far over, their last album is, well, Meh... Bring me back to OK Computer, and there you've got some good stuff.

17. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I think they sound an awful lot like Keane, but I'm not sure who gets to be responsible for that sound (as in, who copped it first). Obviously coldplay is having more success with it, but they both sound a lot like U2 to me, really.

18. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

I see genre comparisons with Coldplay, Keane, and U2.... but the style and vibe seems to vary quite a bit when you look at each band's discography as a whole. Maybe if you like a certain genre, you can appreciate the subtle differences more.

19. hipfan

hipfan Member

Yes. :)

Oh, and I agree with you about Jack Johnson. I've felt that way since the first little breezy acoustic chord I was unfortunate enough to hear a few years back. I get stuck listening to that cr&p every now and then because my favorite radio station (WXRT - Chicago) seems to have some kind of inexplicable hard on for his music. He's probably a very nice guy, but ...

20. hbentley

hbentley Member

while i agree that OK Computer is their masterpiece... i definitely still enjoy their newer albums. i just saw them in concert a couple weeks ago... they played the entire new ablum (along with plenty of other tunes) and it was just beautiful. i'm glad to see them still evolving and creating new music rather than recreating OK Computer over and over.