New Coldplay Tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rogerramjett, Jun 26, 2008.

1. rogerramjett

rogerramjett Supporting Member

I'm looking for some technical insight into a specific tone/effect that's prevalent on the new Coldplay album, "Viva La Vida".

The best example is on "Lovers in Japan". I wanna know how Jonny Buckland's getting that sound that's going on in the background throughout almost the entire song. It's easily confused for some kind of synth but ti's actually Jonny playing some single notes w/crazy 'verb and delay.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

And please - no pompous Coldplay bashing! I just wanna know how to get that sound...

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Are you talking about that higher pitched echo/verb sound?
    If so, I think that's either just guitar with lots of distortion and LOTS of reverb (ala Sigur Ros) or an octave reverb like what the verbzilla does (ala The Edge, kind of). That's a really cool sound!

3. rogerramjett

Yea - that's the one. You can hear it really clearly in the first intro, when the whole band slams in...

4. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

if you use an octave pedal like a whammy or pog (mini-pog etc) into a delay and then a verbzilla with the octo feature you can get the sound. It reminds me of the beautiful day bridge when edge uses a whammy.
    I like the new coldplay disc the more I heard it. Really different and out of the "coldplay box"

5. rogerramjett

Thanks for the breakdown of the effects - that'd a big help!

I bought a Verbzilla specifically for the "Octo" setting we're talking about (and it's KILLER)! I'd really like to get a mini POG but they're pretty pricey for an effect that you might only use 2% of the time. I might try pick up a cheap octave pedal to mess around with...

I love their new album - it'll really take you about 6 or 7 listens through the whole thing before you begin fully appreciating that they didn't "take the easy way out" on any of the tracks. But that's why Brian Eno's a genius.

Check out the 4/4 clapping on "Cemeteries of London", which is a 6/8 song.

Check out the acoustic piano version of "Lost?" and then listen to the album version ("Lost!"). There's no way anybody else could have come up with that arrangement for what's essentially a ballad.

And how many guys have you heard use a reverse delay and make it actually sound good? Check out the main riffing in "Strawberry Swing".

Coldplay gets snubbed by a ton of people of these boards but they're a real band - they write melodies and stuff. I'm still waiting for Steve Vai to write a great melody. You can't compare a real band to heavyweight instrumental stuff - they're different animals.

6. dsl

dsl Member

:munch

7. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

can we do some pompous steve vai bashing?

8. dverna

dverna Member

nah we don't need to bash vai or satch -- as many of their supporters are happy to slam coldplay -- why stoop to that level. to each his own. Vida La Vida is a good album though -- really enjoying it the more I listen.

9. rogerramjett

Totally agree - each band/artist/musician should be appreciated for what they are relative to the genre they're in. It's the same as comedies never winning Oscars - you can't compare "Anchorman" to "Saving Private Ryan"! Although "Anchorman" is TOTALLY Oscar worthy ("I don't know how to say this... but I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.")...

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Call me commercial, but I *really* like Violet Hill...
    This is a great record all around. Each of the songs is brilliant. Each one. Really.
    I'm seeing them July 31st :D

11. dverna

dverna Member

I agree.... August 4th for me. Followed by Radiohead on the 13th.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Argh. Lucky you.
    I had to skip out on Radiohead 'cause I'll be travelling through Europe :(
    That's one band I *really* wanted to see live...

13. dverna

dverna Member

That's alright --I'll confess, never seen the Chili Peppers.... and I really want to.

14. rogerramjett

"Violet Hill" is easily the least commercial-sounding commercial song in years!

15. pbone

pbone Member

Hahahahaha

16. hbentley

hbentley Member

i just caught them last month... absolutely amazing show.

17. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

I saw a bunch of Hiwatt heads behind a PA cab on the Today show this morning.

18. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've got to say...
    After listening to this album everyday for the past 10 or so days, I'm really digging it. Alot. I don't know if I can say "Coldplay's best", simply because it's so drastically differen from anything they've ever done, that it's hard to compare. Okay, I can say it's their best, but ya'll know what I mean :D
    Really great tracks with great lyrics and tones/playing.
    I'm most likely going to see them July 31st here, in Toronto, if I'm not gonna' be in Europe. My friend has an extra ticket and wants me to go- floor seats, too ;)

19. rogerramjett

I'm glad you're diggin' it - I'm catching the Miami show in November. I know from seeing them live and on video in the past that CM's voice isn't incredible live (too much falsetto, starts getting shaky) but I'm stoked to hear the musical side of things, especially with the new material. I think Jonny Buckland is kind alike The Edge - nothing he's playing is that technically intense but he gets great sounds out of his effects and comes up with simple riffs that sound incredible. And I think that's as much a talent and shredding 'til your frets melt.

20. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I really like the electric guitar tone that comes in during the chorus of dont panic on their first album. Its like this swirly delay slightly distorted sound that I wish i could get. After hearing the new album all the way through a few times I came to one conclusion....brilliant. Almost everyone I know in real life love coldplay. I had to come to the internet to find out that people dont like them.