New Combo needed ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dubravac, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

Hey guys, for the past 6 years i've been a bass player in a busy wedding band up here in Toronto. Due to circumstances (guitar player getting married and his wife doesn't want him playing anymore ... damn women!!!) ... i've been promoted (or possibly demoted depending how you look at it) to the guitar player. Luckily guitar was my first instrument and i have still continued to play over the past few years ... anyway, now that i have you yawning ...

I'm looking for some opinions on a new combo amp. I play an American Standard Strat. I need a nice clean sound (to be aided with a bit or reverb and delay) for banging away chords and a nice sounding distortion. I would prefer a 2 channel amp for this where i can get both the clean and distortion from the amp.

I'm really loving the clips i see of the 65 amps. The distortion sounds beautiful and is the exact sound i'm looking for, for distortion. I can't seem to find a good clip of it's clean sound, and when i do, it still sounds a bit 'grunty', which i cannot have for my clean. They have just put out an affordable 2 channel amp called the Ventura which again, love the gain, haven't heard the clean on it.

I would love to keep the price under $2000, but if i have to, i will go up to $2500.

Any opinions and your expertise is much appreciated guys. Thanks for your time!!

2. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

My next 2 channel combo will be a PRS H amp!! You played through one of these yet? I currently have a Carr Slant 6V.

3. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

Oh, i was also looking at a Savage Rohr 15.

4. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

5. Dubravac

Dubravac Member

Few others i was looking at included the Orange Tiny Terror and Eganter Tweaker 40.

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

versatility sounds like the key here. i use Bogner for great clean and dirt in one amp, but the combos are heavy. Mesa is another great choice for many top shelf tones in one box - may be smaller but will still be very heavy. (with high volume cleans comes weight). i mention these in particular because i keep seeing both makers on tv stages used by pros in late night talk show bands, singing competition bands, awards show bands, etc. and i imagine versatility and quality tones are top priorities for them too.

and i don't think you have to worry about 65 amps cleans - you will like. (altho i admit i don't know what grunty means.)

also see Rivera, /13 and probably 100 others. many will work - it really comes down to the features and specific flavors you want.

7. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

check out a redplate blackloop or blackverb combo

8. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

One day I will spend that kind of money on an amp again... For good cleans and distortions in a variety of flavors I have liked what the Bogner Shiva with 6L6s and reverb was able to do. I also liked the Rivera Venus 3. In your situation I'd bump up to the Venus 6.
    I also have just been tipped off to how inexpensive it can be for someone to build a custom amp. I am looking at one day soon getting a 4-6v6 amp made! So, lots of options but those are two I'd go with.

9. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

+1 vote for a Savage Rohr!