• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

New Cp Thornton arrival

jaystrings

New CpT Classic #376 arrived a few days ago. Typical Chuck craftsmanship, only difference is this one is the REAL beauty in the collection. I chose this glossy rendition of the early 60's Fender color: vintage cream. I have named this color "Banana Pudding" because Chuck already had a vintage cream.

With the set neck the tone & sustain are indescribable - all the Tele tones & more. The parchment pickguard really makes this color look like an aged ivory as so many from the 70's & 80's now look. The fretwork is immaculate. And the toned birdseye fingerboard with the flamed maple neck means this one will never be in the background on stage. What a stunning guitar - far more than any picture I've taken or on Chuck's website reveals. Coming in just about 7#, the balance is perfect & the entire fretboard arena is buttery & perfection.

I'm no longer astonished at Chuck's work or the sonic range of his guitars; however, I was more blown away by how much I adore this color. Whether I describe it as "plays as good as it looks" or "looks as good as it plays", it is truly a head turner. Favorite amps to pair with it? My Fender Deluxe Reverb and my Little Walter Tube Amp 22W. It is the first guitar I've ever had this long without messing with some pedals. So far, just pure cleans & finding the headroom borders on those 2 amps.

http://www.cpthorntonguitars.com/gallery/albums/latest-batch/0376%20Classic/WT0A7964.jpg

http://www.cpthorntonguitars.com/gallery/albums/classic/0376 Classic/Image_4090.jpg

http://www.cpthorntonguitars.com/gallery/albums/classic/0376 Classic/Image_4117.jpg

Last edited:

GasMask

Fantastic!!! Yet another fabulous Thornton. Your collection is amazing.

His latest batch is incredible! I'm always checking his site when the next batch is due. Somehow, he continues to outdo himself. There are some killer woods in the latest batch.

It was bittersweet to see that mine was no longer in the latest batch! :cry:
Still playing it almost every day though. :aok

I was about to comment on the Improv that was available from the latest bunch, but I just noticed that it's gone! Completely Not Surprised! Didn't last long.

Hope I get the chance to get my hands on a Classic or HTL someday.
Enjoy your new one! :beer

(anyone not hip to Chuck's work should check out his latest batch)
link:

http://www.cpthorntonguitars.com/gallery/latest-batch/

Ches

That's a beauty. The color is PERFECT, and I know the playability and tone will be typical of Chuck's work. You've got one hell of a collection, Jay.

I keep telling myself I don't need any more guitars, but I've got a severe case of GAS for an HTL. Maybe next year . . .

boogie_phil

As beautiful as that guitar looks, I know that it's nothing compared to how it plays and sounds - at least not if it's like the other guitars of Chuck's that I've been lucky enough to play.

Congratulations on owning a work of art AND a beautiful musical instrument.

jaystrings

That's a beauty. The color is PERFECT, and I know the playability and tone will be typical of Chuck's work. You've got one hell of a collection, Jay.

I keep telling myself I don't need any more guitars, but I've got a severe case of GAS for an HTL. Maybe next year . . .
Thanks. I don't need any more, either; however, I'm so taken with this banana pudding color in the gloss finish that I can only think of getting a hard tail HTL for a "twin" next year. Wouldn't that be awesome?

We all need to consider ONE important thing: thanks to a lot of recent publicity from the rave reviews in Tonequest magazine and the post on Chuck's blog about Walter Becker of Steely Dan continuing to get CpT's & play them in concert, Chuck's backlog now is growing. I'm looking at a delivery next September if I order the HTL today!!! Otherwise, I would have to wait until 2015, & that hurts to think about.

I'm getting the broom out today to make some room AND coins for a deposit. I'm calling Chuck today to get the ball rolling.

By the way, Ches, good call on the HTL. That blend knob is the most killer innovation on ANY guitar I've ever seen. The most predictable and the most enjoyable GAS attack to watch is when someone discovers that blend knob for the first time. I have had no less that 3 people order one within 24 hours after playing my other HTL for the first time. I was never a Strat lover, but the HTL changed my whole thinking about guitars. Luv my HTL.

IMHO, if every Strat lover could spend 5 minutes with a HTL, Chuck would have a 20-year backlog by Thanksgiving. Don't wait too long to make a decision, Ches.

Besides, I've never had "twins" before.

Ches

I'm looking at a delivery next September if I order the HTL today!!!
Don't wait too long to make a decision, Ches.
Probably some good advice, Jay. If I order now, it'll arrive shortly before my 60th birthday, which also happens to be the 60th anniversary of the Strat. I might have to celebrate both occasions with an HTL!

jaystrings

If I order now, it'll arrive shortly before my 60th birthday, which also happens to be the 60th anniversary of the Strat. I might have to celebrate both occasions with an HTL!
Woah!! You have a FAR better reason to order one right now than I do.

Now let me give you one more:

Having already been there, turning 60 is a major milestone. It's the new middle age. It's also the time to celebrate something HUGE that you will begin to notice at work, home, neighborhood, buddies, & even online with strangers or internet stalkers - RESPECT for your WISDOM. You will suddenly be given credit for being WISE & also DESERVING of respect. All of a sudden, your words & opinions seem to have more weight & impact with people and in places as never before. When, in fact, you actually know no more than before & [unfortunately] actually know a bit less because you start forgetting some things you once knew.

Here's my point: You simply cannot afford to be considered WISE, and then run around whining about not ordering a HTL when the wait was only a year. And the other side of the coin is that by actually owning an HTL, you will have clearly demonstrated wisdom. Thereby, creating even more respect. It's a good thing.

Don't fear turning 60 - get ready to celebrate the next level of being alive!

My $0.02, which is priced about right.

Last edited:

Ches

It's also the time to celebrate something HUGE that you will begin to notice at work, home, neighborhood, buddies, & even online with strangers or internet stalkers - RESPECT for your WISDOM.
You obviously don't know my co-workers, family, neighbors, friends, and internet stalking guitar buds! :rotflmao (Well, you do know some of them!)

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
The carve in the top is sick, I love the lines and the neck joint looks great too

jaystrings

Nice! Love the neck heel. Is that a set neck? I don't see any bolts...
Yes, Chuck went to set necks a couple of years ago and it's standard now unless negotiated otherwise. I've had both; my first Classic was bolt on. But after comparing my bolt on vs a set neck with a digital timer, I ran 50 alternating A/B trials, attempting to strike the high E string with the same force each time. In all 50 cases the sustain lasted between 2 & 3 times as long in all 50 attempts. The average time of the bolt on neck sustain was about 8 seconds. The average time of the set neck sustain was just over 19 seconds - from strike to inaudibility. Sophisticated? Not at all. But enough to convince. And several of my friends have "ear tested" for richness of tone while blindfolded & we could all pick out the set neck.

On my last 3 solidbody CpTs, I have specified set neck.

Jgerag

You and Chuck have now really created a Classic Classic. Just looking at it is incredible! And I'm sure lifting it by its weight, and feeling it's proportions, holding it with a strap on, must be unbelievably comfortable! And, of course, its sound is Chuck's great one, one of his so regularly great ones. You must be really happy to see it, pick it up, and strum it - all great ones with that one, for sure. Best to you both, as always, John

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Woah!! You have a FAR better reason to order one right now than I do.

Now let me give you one more:

Having already been there, turning 60 is a major milestone. It's the new middle age. It's also the time to celebrate something HUGE that you will begin to notice at work, home, neighborhood, buddies, & even online with strangers or internet stalkers - RESPECT for your WISDOM. You will suddenly be given credit for being WISE & also DESERVING of respect. All of a sudden, your words & opinions seem to have more weight & impact with people and in places as never before. When, in fact, you actually know no more than before & [unfortunately] actually know a bit less because you start forgetting some things you once knew.

Here's my point: You simply cannot afford to be considered WISE, and then run around whining about not ordering a HTL when the wait was only a year. And the other side of the coin is that by actually owning an HTL, you will have clearly demonstrated wisdom. Thereby, creating even more respect. It's a good thing.

Don't fear turning 60 - get ready to celebrate the next level of being alive!

My $0.02, which is priced about right.

Chuck is definitely one classy guy! Helped my fix Professional #94, which arrived with a bad neck pickup. Since we didn't know what was wrong, going in, Chuck in addition to giving me a great price on a set of Imperials, he made a new wiring harness, in his current spec.

It is now the guitar that gets pulled out most often, so I too need to clean the closet for another CLS, which I loved, but Walter ended up with.

Super guitars! Congratulations on a real beauty!

PS Turing 60 isn't too bad, btw! Gave me an excuse to buy a bunch of 'new' guitars!

artguy47

Ol' CuRmUGeOn
Yes, Chuck went to set necks a couple of years ago and it's standard now unless negotiated otherwise. I've had both; my first Classic was bolt on. But after comparing my bolt on vs a set neck with a digital timer, I ran 50 alternating A/B trials, attempting to strike the high E string with the same force each time. In all 50 cases the sustain lasted between 2 & 3 times as long in all 50 attempts. The average time of the bolt on neck sustain was about 8 seconds. The average time of the set neck sustain was just over 19 seconds - from strike to inaudibility. Sophisticated? Not at all. But enough to convince. And several of my friends have "ear tested" for richness of tone while blindfolded & we could all pick out the set neck.

On my last 3 solidbody CpTs, I have specified set neck.
Which probably explains why 20 of my guitars are set necks! Only two bolt-on, though soon to be three when the Lentz joins the party.

Ches

I took my Classic to rehearsal last night, Jay. What a killer guitar. Chuck's refinements to the Tele design suit me perfectly. I'm tempted to get another Classic with a different pickup configuration, and it would probably have to be Banana Pudding!

jaystrings

Wow. I checked it out on Chuck's website. Love the color! Congratulations.
Thanks. I've taken about a dozen pictures of it so far, but not one has captured the rich creamy look thru the glossy finish. A friend has suggested that I get out my more expensive camera, use a tripod, then snap some shots on a cloudy day using a variety of manual settings instead of holding my small pocket camera & using the "Auto" settings. So, that is next.

jaystrings

You and Chuck have now really created a Classic Classic. Just looking at it is incredible! And, of course, its sound is Chuck's great one, one of his so regularly great ones. John
Yep, I love the color of this Classic so much that I'm going to move some idle stuff & order a hard tail HTL in this same aged yellowish look.

Did you go with a HTL or Classic in your latest order & which blue did you decide on? If HTL, did you go with hard tail or whammy?

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom