New Curt Mangan Round Core pure nickel strings?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hipfan, May 25, 2016.

1. hipfan

hipfan Member

Has anyone tried these? I know they're new to the market, but I thought maybe someone on TGP had a preview set or helped in the development. I just placed an order for a few sets, and I'm curious to see how they compare to the hex core Ernie Ball pure nickels I currently use and the round core Pyramids and DR's I formerly used.

Edit: here's a link - Mangan Round Cores

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big time Mangan fan, thanks for mentioning this are available!

3. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

If you have slotted post tuners, put a right angle kink in the string before you chop off the excess. Just like the old Fender instructions said.

4. Seth L

Seth L Member

At that price? No. I'll stick with DR and Pyramid.

Unadan and Summa like this.
  5. hipfan

hipfan Member

15% off right now, with code round15. :)

I agree the prices are high. I'll report back on how they perform once I get them strung up.

6. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

Never had nickle strings die as quickly as the Mangan's.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Never tried CM strings. I want to.

I've been curious about round core for a long time. GHS is about the only big company still doing it. Dean Markley was advertising that and I tried it and didn't really notice much. I called the company and they said, oh it's been hex core for many years, they just don't update anything!!

Do the strings feel a bit less taut, in comparative gauges?

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

My experience is different. A big reason I use the Curt Mangan strings, both nickel wrap and straight nickel, is because they last twice as long as other brands, for me.

I get 2-4 gigs out of a set of Mangans, 1 - maybe 2 gigs out of EB or D'Addarios.

Never tried the round core Mangans. Tell us how you like 'em.

Thanks, Dana O.

9. drpoyer

drpoyer Member

I know many use them with great results. Including Matt Schofield who(m) I hold in high regard.

10. MR.K

MR.K Member

Magnans do it for me. I've been using the 10-46 nickel set a few years now. I hadn't heard about the round core until this thread, appreciate the heads up. I ordered a few sets to put on a es335. I get'em from strings and beyond, nice folks and not at the price posted earlier.

11. Mystix

Mystix Silver Supporting Member

When I run out of my Mangan pure nickels - I will give these a shot - but I still got about a dozen sets...

thx!

12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Will check them out for sure!
    But right now Gabriel Tenorio strings rock my world, and wrecks my wallet. :p

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Interesting. I've recently been trying out Curt's pure nickels with good results. Will have to give these a try as well.

14. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Just a heads up - flatwounds now available. Discount code FLAT15 for 15% off your order.

hipfan likes this.
  15. hipfan

hipfan Member

Here's a quick update. So far, I really like the round cores. I only had time to replace the 3 wound strings on my workhorse Washburn HB35 before band practice on Thursday night. The guitar has Sperzels, so I just pulled them through and battened them down. I stretched them out using my normal technique (a few gentle lift and thumps on the fretboard, a few gentle tugs while fretting at the first fret, and a few big bends up and down the neck).

The tone was really nice and sweet all night. They don't sound or feel disssimilar at all to the pure nickel Ernie Ball's they replaced, but they seemed to hold their tune better and maybe just a touch nicer sustain. The neck pickup (a Dimarizio EJ Custom bridge model) in particular has a really nice tone with these strings. I'll replace the 3 plain strings this weekend, as well as stringing up my No. 2, a Robin Wrangler. The Wrangler is usually my open-tuning guitar for some Stones/Faces/Crowes tunes we do. Strings seem to make a big difference in its sound and playability, so I'm really curious to see how it goes. I will report back again!

16. manishthapa

manishthapa Member

Hello stratobuc,

I just happen to order my Washburn HB36K( the old looking model) I already have a epi339 pro, and an xavier xv910.
    What different should I be expecting from the playability and sound prespective,
    The 339 necks are a bit bulkey for my hands but the Xaviere xv910 is perfect. I've read hb36k neck is not too think, and the Pups are decent mid rangy output ?
    Could you please let me in with some of your personal experience. Could you tell me what I should be expecting for?
    Appreciate your time and cooperation.
    Regs, Manish

17. Presc

Presc Member

I just strung my K-Line up with a set tonight. They sound fantastic. Warm with tons of sustain. Despite the note that these take longer to settle in, I found they stretched out quickly and were very stable.

I'm a big Mangan fan and always use his nickel-wound strings (and PBs for acoustic). Great tone and longevity. It's hard to A/B strings since the prior set I had on there was fairly old and new strings always sound better, but I think these are VERY GOOD.

18. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I've never had nickel strings last as long as Curt Mangans. I wonder why your experience is 100% the opposite of what everyone else's is?

macmax77, Flatscan and 65DuoSonic like this.
  19. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Curt Mangans are what comes stock on every K-Line. They are consistent which is what cannot be said for most large batch winders out there. Curt has his own winding machines which allows him to control every aspect. He is an awesome guy to boot! When you call them, he usually answers the phone.

The bear and Flatscan like this.
  20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

They'll be way cheaper once Strings and Beyond and Just Strings has them. I've been using other Mangans for a while and have never paid more than around $5.50 a set.

65DuoSonic likes this.