• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

New Custom Build - Latulippe Foxtrot

pattste

On October 22 I signed off on the specs for a custom build with Montreal luthier Vincent Latulippe. The guitar will be based on his Foxtrot model. Delivery in the Fall of 2019.

Here's one made recently for another client:

The specifications for mine will be as follow:

Model: Latulippe Foxtrot chambered/semi-hollow with a F-hole
Scale: 25"
Frets: 22 x Jescar 104 Stainless Seel
Width at nut: 1 11/16"
Width at 22nd fret: 2 1/4"
Fingerboard Radius: 12"
Top: Flame Maple
Body: Mahogany
Pickup rings and covers: Ebony
Neck: Laminated Mahogany/Maple
Neck profile: Gibson 1960 V2 Les Paul (Asymetrical)
Headstock overlay: Ebony
Fretboard: Ebony
Tuning keys: Graphtech Ratio Nickel
Bridge/Tailpiece: TonePro Nickel
Pickups: Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday Set (Neck + Bridge) (Nickel, 4-wire, potted)
Pickup Selector: 3-Position Switchcraft Nickel (Black Tip)
Volume: 1 (Ebony)
Tone: 1 (Ebony)
Switches: 2 x Nickel (Switch #1 : Series/Parallel for neck pickup; Switch #2 : Coil split)
Strings: D'Addario NYXL 10-46
Strap locks: Loxx
Case: MainStage

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
What finish are you thinking about? Don’t hide that beautiful Mother of Nature grain! :)

Jazzandmore

I'm thinking matte black.

Kidding. Actually, I have an acoustic from the same builder and may go for a similar color:

We are several months away from having to make a final choice.
Yeah that would be a very nice finish. Really make the flame and the vertical grain pop!

pattste

Things are starting to take shape.

Here's the laminate neck (mahogany, maple and I believe the thin dark stripes are wenge). The guitar will have an ebony fretboard and the neck shape will be based on that of my Gibson R0, which has been my main guitar for 7 years now. Vincent has a tool that makes it possible to copy the exact shape of a neck. This is how I realized that my R0 actually has a asymmetrical neck profile.

The body has been routed.

Next steps are to glue the label, cut the F-hole and glue the body.

pattste

A lot of progress in the last few weeks.

The body has been glued:

We are going for a single f-hole:

The headstock has an ebony overlay:

The neck is starting to take shape. Still missing the 12-fret marker, which is a different style.

The next steps are to glue the fretboard, work on the inlays and shaping the back of the guitar body.

pattste

Vincent has made some good progress in the last couple of weeks.

The 12th fret position marker was inlaid last:

All the inlays are in place on the neck now:

Working on the headstock logo inlay:

Gluing the fretboard to the neck:

The neck is more or less shaped. I will check out the guitar on Sunday and small adjustments could be made.

The neck is now glued to the body:

The guitar should hit the spray booth in a week or two with delivery sometime in June, ahead of schedule.

pattste

The guitar has been stained. Vincent says there's about one more day's work required on the finish.

I think he still needs to make the pickup rings and volume/tone controls (ebony). I saw the back plates and they look great. The custom case from Main Stage in New Brunswick should be here in a week or two.

pattste

A quick update...

The case from Main Stage got here on Wednesday. It is beautiful.

Vincent made the slanted pickup rings by hand. He says it's actually a lot of work.

He also makes his own truss rods :knitting

The guitar is being assembled and setup tonight.

He will do another setup late next week after it settled under tension a bit. Some glamour shots will be taken in the studio next Friday and I should have the guitar next weekend! :JAM

StummerJoe

That is a handsome looking build, and the custom case is a VERY nice touch!!! Call me envious! :D

pattste

Well, there's good news and there's bad news.

The good news is that the guitar is now fully assembled and setup:

The bad news is that Vincent says the neck pickup died after 30 seconds. :console

He says he unsoldered it and there's no reading. If that's the case, this will set us back a couple of weeks at least until we get a replacement from Bare Knuckles, I would assume.
(There's also a distinct possibility that he's messing with me. :crazyguy)

pattste

Update: Unfortunately, Vincent wasn't messing with me. The pickup really is defective. Bare Knuckles asked for the pickup to be sent back to England for inspection. I was hoping for a more proactive response on their part (e.g. "We'll get another one to you right away") considering this is a brand new pickup, Vincent is a dealer who builds with Bare Knuckles pickups regularly and this issue is delaying delivery of my guitar (and Vincent getting paid). Oh well.

pattste

Latulippe Foxtrot #29 was delivered on Monday!

You will remember that the neck pickup was dead on arrival and had to be sent back to Bare Knuckles. They provided very fast turnover, sending it back the day after they received it by express mail, however the pickup sat at Customs for at least two weeks. We also ran into Vincent's vacations as well as Quebec and Canada's national holidays, delaying the process.

In any case, the guitar is here in all its glory.

I took a few (bad) cell phone pictures as I don't have a proper camera and couldn't find my wife's. The color is completely off in my pictures below, the true color is actually the one in Vincent's pictures above.

Vincent will do a photo session in a real studio he has access to (thank you, Marc Lupien, XXL Guitars) at the end of August and I'll post the pictures here.

The guitar feels and sounds absolutely fantastic! It is bold yet rich and responsive. It sustains for days. Feedback is not an issue. The guitar isn't really semi-hollow, more like chambered with an F hole. The pickups, Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays, are lightly potted. Vincent replicated the neck from the Les Paul R0 that has been my main guitar since 2012 so the guitar felt like home immediately.

The only deviation from the original specs was to go with two coil-split instead of one coil-split and one parallel/series and Schaller S-locks instead of Loxx.

The whole process took 9 months and one week; Vincent had said 8-12 months. If it weren't for the defective pickup, it would been delivered a month ago.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
That turned out very well and in a reasonable amount of time.

Congrats.

skronker

2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions
That's a beauty. I like the aesthetics and overall design/color choices.

Trending Topics