New Custom Sounds Roland VG-99

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by baranger1, Oct 12, 2008.

1. baranger1

baranger1 Member

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

What great ideas! Roland should hire you to do demos. It's an amazing tool. Thanks for the post.

3. Structo

Structo Member

Man those are so amazing in the right hands.
    And you seem to have the hands!

I remember back in the 70's or early 80's when Roland first came out with their guitar syth.
    I was at a local music store and the owner was demoing it.
    He had several patches going and played it along with a drum machine.
    It sounded like six guys playing.
    In walked an older man who was a horn player and he just shook his head.
    He said you're going to put guys like me out of business.

It was awesome sounding and yours is too.
    The years between have not been wasted on Roland who seem to have perfected the syth guitar.

4. kjypeace

kjypeace Supporting Member

That Faux Feedback was insane!! Many of those other sounds were very musical. What a tool to have in your arsenal!!

5. baranger1

baranger1 Member

Thank you for the nice comments!
    Bill

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

very very cool indeed ... i didnt realize that you could do that much without the pitch to midi ...i have a gr33 and have considered a vg99 as a compliment to it ...

very musical in your hands, bill ... not at all gimmicky, as i fear mine is all too often in mine

7. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

That's some amazing stuff Bill!!

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

9. Pickmaster

Pickmaster Member

It was great to listen to you and VG-99 Bill.
    You are one monster player indeed! Different instruments require different technical approach and you really mastered all, respect!
    Now related question: have you ever tried ZTAR synth controller?

10. baranger1

baranger1 Member

Thanks guys, you made my day!!

Pickmaster,
    I have heard great things about the ZTAR but have never had an opportunity to play one.
    I believe it is a string-less instrument.

I did have a go at the Synth-Axe some years ago and I felt like I was holding a vacuum cleaner in my hands.
    I could not get 3 notes out of it,it was so embarrassing!!
    I have seen Allan Holdsworth play it as a master.

I just feel better with a vibrating string under my finger tips.
    Its what I grew up with and what I personally feel connected to.
    Its the same reason I love the VG system as its using the real string it self as the sound source or oscillator.
    With every pitch to midi or CV device I have owned (and that is almost all of them) I always felt a disconnect from my guitar.
    It was as if I was yelling at some one across the table telling someone what note to play next.
    On top of that, it did not matter much if I picked a synth guitar with the tip of an umbrella or my own finger tip.
    The note quality was much the same.
    Its a triggered system, basically playing a sound I did not create.

In my eyes the VG-99 is just a guitar processing unit that is not all that far removed from a Fuzz tone or other basic tone altering guitar effects.
    The VG-99 is Hexaphonic ,which means each string of your guitar can have its own effect with out any crosstalk or intermod.
    Its like having 6 Fuzz units or pitch shifters, one for each string.
    The VG-99 is also capable of 'Digitally" remodel each string of the guitar.
    By changing the ones and zeros in the digitized steam all sorts of new sounds can be created with out altering the feel of your guitar.
    All in about 2 milliseconds.
    To me it is just a more organic approach to guitar Synth.
    I can whack on the bridge with my ring and get a new sound or create a bowed sound by using my nail on the windings of the guitar string.
    I guess its just more natural to me.

That said the VG-99 is not just a plug and play effect unit.
    Its a new instrument and it does take a lot of work and practice to make it sound great.
    Thanks again guys.
    Bill

11. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Really nice. Between your sounds and Simeon Harris from the U.K. who posts at Huge Racks and uses a lot of Eventide and TC stuff plus looping, I could get lost in ambient, electronica soundscapes for days on end.

12. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Awesome demos!
    I love Who Organ and Gypsy Guitar.
    I've never been too interested.

This would be perfect for pit gigs.
    Thanks!

13. foomoola

foomoola Member

WOW!! WOW!!!! WOW!!!! What more can one say, I have been playing for over 25 years ( cant believe that!!) And have always been interested in the synth , but like you I have NEVER been able to make a "connection" with previous devices . I heard about the VG-99 but havent played one . I WILL be trying one out after hearing what you did , and your explaination of the FEEL of the unit ...THAT is what was always lacking in previous models ...ANYWAY ...the faux feedback ,orchestron,tablatar,lucy lowery,HRM,indian sarod,koto-flute,IRISH PIPES(WOW),strings /male voice, mellotron flutes,oct31,string pad,sus strings,mellotron mkll,thxie....ALL wonderful useful sounds AMAZING !!!! THANKS SOOOOO much for the thread , I WILL be trying one ( hey see if you can get Roland to hook you up on their site for demo'ing you BLOW AWAY the vids they have ...)

Thanks Again .... D.P.

14. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Beautiful tones.

15. baranger1

baranger1 Member

Thank you guys for your great comments.

I did want to mention the sounds on my SoundClick page are not factory presets but sounds you can build on your own like I did.
    I am hoping in the future to produce a Workbook/CD in order to help people get a hand on mastering "Remodeling Synthesis".
    Its the most natural way to push the guitar into the future with out using the midi triggering of oscillators or sample based Synths.
    The magic of guitar is the way we all sound different, even if we play the same guitar.
    That's the stuff we must never lose!

Bill Ruppert

16. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Bill, do you have any CD's available-if not, you need to do a disc soon. I would love to produce an ambient project again for an artist. I worked with a duo of brothers about 13 years ago -one was a synthesist and bassist, the other an amazing percussionist-we did an electronic music/"New age" instrumental CD that turned out incredible and got a decent amount of airplay on John DiLiberto's Echos radio show.

17. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

That sounds great Bill please let us all know when you have this Workbook/CD ready.

18. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I can't believe I missed this. Bill, you put this out, I'll support you by buying it.

19. baranger1

baranger1 Member

Thanks ToneZappa and GovernorSilver!

Todd,
    Thanks for asking about CD,s.
    I am sorry to say I have nothing of my own
    I have made my living as a studio musician for many,many years now and have spent my time making music of others.
    Ambient music is something that has always been close to my heart and I am now finally recording many ambient things using just the guitar and processing gear. I will see where it leads me.

Bill Ruppert

20. bmi

bmi Senior Member

I will buy it too. I'm the owner of a VG99 and i need help ;o)