1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New David Myka custom semi-hollow taking shape

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by davros, Jun 29, 2006.

1. davros

davros Member

I thought a few of you might be interested in a progress report on the custom semi-hollow guitar David Myka is making for me.

The guitar is kind of based on the ES 335 concept except with carved front and back and a different body shape.

It has a mahogany block running through the centre, a spruce top and maple back and sides.

Progress pics are here: http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/051/default.htm

The description at the bottom of the page is not up to date. We are making the neck scale 25.5", and the pickups will be TV Jones Filter 'Trons - never used them so will be very interesting. I'm hoping to be able to get close to single coil tones as well as a reasonable jazz tone.

I must say that working with David has been a huge amount of fun and a really positive experience. He really embraces the custom concept - he wants to build the guitar YOU want.

After nearly 6 months of lead time it's awesome to see a guitar finally taking shape - as you can imagine my fingers are getting real twitchy!

2. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Supporting Member

Wow! That is looking great! Congrats!

I hear you on the TV Jones too. I did the same in my upcoming Soloway. Never heard them, so they're worth a shot.
    ept mine will have TVTrons, which are HB sized (allowing an easier swap later on if required).

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

You gotta keep posting updates like this!

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

David does beautiful work. I especially like his neck joints. They're just really elegant. I also like the idea of the 25.5 inch scale length with that body design and a pair of TV Jones Filtertrons. That should all add up to a tremedous amount of acoustic presence and high end sparkle. I'd love to hear it when it's done.

5. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 on the TV Jones Filtertrons. They're really nice pickups.

6. lbw

lbw Member

You might also want to check out the Tom Holmes Filtertrons also. The TV Jones are very good by all reports!

7. davros

davros Member

Thanks for your comments guys.

Jim, I have heard the TV Jones pickups on your website and thought they sound great, but then every clip on your website sounds great. Must be the guitars!

We are going to use P90 sized TV Jones just in case I decide later that I would prefer P90s. However I’m expecting to be happy with the TV Jones - I predominantly use single coil pickups and like the option of sparkle in the top end, which I understand is what filtertrons are all about.

I haven’t seen one of David’s guitars in the flesh yet but going from owner reviews, the photos on his website, and the way he approaches his work, I’m expecting the guitar to be a work of art. All very exciting.

[FONT=&quot]I’ll post another update soon.[/FONT]

8. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

Hi Davros,
    David made a wonderful guitar for me recently http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/045/default.htm. It's the seriously curly walnut Dragonfly(#45) with the double f holes and the volume knobs hidden from the front view on the upper part of the guitar. I just wanted to chime in and tell you to get ready to be completely blown away when he sends you the finished project! David's work is unbelievable and his detail is utterly perfect. The pictures on his website do not lie! Real life is even better!!! The finishes are perfect and the feel and sound of the guitar is superb. You will not be dissapointed...
    I really miss David emailing me with a progress update, but I still check his "in progress" section to keep up with his amazing guitar making mojo!
    I really gotta scrape up some more dough and order another Myka...

take care,
    Carl

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

That's Jim Soloway 'sayin that. What a cool guitar!

And Carl - WOW, another really cool insturment.

Dana

10. -kk-

-kk- Member

another very happy myka owner here (#25).

I can concur that working with David is an absolute joy, he's even managed to deal with my (very) fickle mind!

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

That's beautiful! Looks like a first cousin to my Delia. :BEER

12. mainsale

mainsale Member

If you're thinking P-90, do yourself a favor and check out Lindy Fralin's P-92. I love P-90's but since I got my first P-92 in a guitar, I don't want anything else. Be warned........the tone of these pickups is addictive!

13. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Oh, man... That ought to be a *really* nice guitar. What a cool idea, using a spruce top... :)

I commissioned something similar from another builder (no names - I don't want to hijack your thread) and *love* the results.

14. enharmonic

Ssssshhhhhh! The P-92's need to stay our little secret! :rotflmao

15. mainsale

mainsale Member

Ops.......I forgot!

16. davros

davros Member

Thanks everyone

Carl – I have listened to your clips on David's site several times and love the tones. The finish on that walnut is stunning, and what a great idea of yours to put the controls on the top.

Kk – I’d be interested to hear how you are finding the Stetsbar. I have pretty well decided on a Bigsby but as you know David reckons the Stetsbar is an excellent tremelo unit.

If anyone has a view on how a Bigsby is likely to affect the tone of this style of guitar I'd be very interested to hear it.

It will be great to get the guitar but that will also mean the end of the project - I will miss checking my computer each morning to see if David has sent me an email as part of our ongoing discussion and my education in guitar design and construction. Of course there is always a remedy for that…..!

17. -kk-

-kk- Member

the stetsbar works great, i havent experience any tuning instability, pretty much feels like a hardtail when trem arm is not screwed in.

It did take a awhile to get the hang of it, but once I got used to it (its smooooooooth), it became part of my style.

If I had to choose again between the stetsbar/ bigsby/ hipshot, I'll go with the stetsbar every day of the week. great addition to the guitar, one which has become an invaluable tool for me.

18. enharmonic

I have a Bigsby on my Delia. No tuning instability. Combined with all of the other specs/options, the tone of my Delia is very much in the vintage realm for this type of instrument. I don't think that the Bigsby takes anything away from the tone or sustain of the guitar...though sustain is admittedly shorter than my TCM's by a couple of seconds.

Bigsby is equal parts style and functon. I think it would look great on your instrument. Hving said that, the Stetsbar is very interesting to me.

19. Neill

Neill Member

im a big fan of david's work. the guitar he built me last year was one of the best guitar purchases ever for me.

20. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

It´s quite interesting , how people ,being in the business for a while, tend to come back to the classic materials of guitarmaking.

Here is Nik Huber´s approach to a similar project he is doing for me. Rather thann bending the rims he routed out the material of a solid piece of maple, before carving and coutercarving the spruce top and the flamed maple back.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]