New delay pedal by Vertex

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pulse., Feb 14, 2017.

1. ScorchedCortex

ScorchedCortex Member

Just because they are merchants doesn't mean they have to be unethical by definition to make a profit. In PG's case it's even more disappointing that they ignored journalism 101 in researching Vertex and it's history.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    BadHiwatt likes this.
  2. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I'm not sure they are being "unethical" for carrying his products or in Premier Guitar Magazine's case, for doing a review
    what I meant was, they are in business to make money
    should they stop carrying anything made in China that might be made by children?
    Vertex hasn't been charged with committing a crime (I am surprised he never was)
    so, I think they (merchants) leave it up to the customer to decide whether or not to buy his products
    we at TGP can't dictate to merchants what they should or shouldn't carry or promote
    we can decide not to do business with a vendor if they carry his products
    that's a personal decision
    and like I said in my other post, Mason is just hoping that people's ignorance of his past will allow him to sell his pedals to them
    it would appear he is achieving his goal
    there are a lot of fish in the sea who don't know what TGP'ers know

la noise and Frankee like this.
  3. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

Very well said

4. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I did not know of this controversy till reading this thread. Went back and found his "apology letter" and read it as well as some of the first pages of the 52 page thread. Usually, when some decent person starts compromising their morals to the detriment of others their are other problems as well and usually drugs. The letter itself was one of the most all in mea culpas I've ever read. I am generally a forgiving person, especially after an apology of that totality.

I take it, after reading this thread, he never quite got his act together? It's been over 2 years and if had gotten squared away I wouldn't expect the level of hatred I see here. I would most likely never buy his products but still is it time to let this rest in peace?

5. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

If I was really feeling like I did something wrong and hurt people, I would do the right thing and move on and start over somewhere else... NOT keep peddling the same brand in the same industry with some of the same products, trying to shove myself down the throats of the people I betrayed.

6. ScorchedCortex

ScorchedCortex Member

Maybe unethical wasn't the right term on my part. If they had done just a little research, maybe it would have given them pause to promote, sell or support Vertex stuff.

I guess I question the ethics of PG more in this scenario. They should have shown some basic journalistic due diligence prior to giving Vertex a platform, or replying to Matt with "he said he was sorry, we believe him".

Abram4235 and la noise like this.
  7. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I actually had to take a classes in customer service, building trust in relationships etc. We spent quite a bit of time on apologies and what was real and not real and what it took to genuinely accept responsibility and apologize. Many examples back and forth. I can say that Vertex apology is a textbook example of a fake apology. Lamest of the lame. And on top of that, limited in scope. But as evidenced by remarks just made, it does fool people. And as I tried to explain earlier, if you weren't around to take it all in, it will be hard to grasp just how fake it really is. Especially if total exposure amounts to reading the apology and the "first pages" of that single thread.

Forgiving and saying no respect, no trust, no business and wanting to continue to explain the basis that lack of respect and trust to folks that don't get it are not mutually exclusive concepts.

hunter

8. WWW

WWW Supporting Member

I just wish I could fix my wife's scratchy vol and tone.

9. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

10. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

That's actually a worthwhile goal. From the videos available, it looks like Mooer is safe from slave- and forced labor.

I had to stop eating Hershey's and Nestlé products because of slavery and child labor in their supply chains.

You missed the recent go around where Mason Marangella was making false claims about his boost. Those false claims are still on his website.

As you think it's time to let things rest, does that mean your normal timeline for letting business fraud go is when the false claims are still being advanced? That sounds like a less than prudent practice.

In fact, that sounds like it only helps out the person engaging in fraudulent behavior, and not the purchasers who are being lied to. Could you clarify how that helps out anyone besides the fraudster?

If it doesn't... what was the point of all that?

11. Wolfboy1

My only reference was this thread and the letter from 2 years ago as mentioned. I did not know about the Boost issue, that is why I asked. In addition I was talking about the man really not the business. I'd forgive him but wouldn't buy from him....forgiveness and stupidity are two different things.

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Before we were married she had some free time between jobs, so she took up building a couple BYOC kits for fun. She built me a Tube Screamer and a Tremelo. They both worked and sounded great. She started a delay, but didn't finish. It was pretty complex.

She acquired good soldering skills building the pedals, so she's installed a few sets of pickups for me. I SUCK at soldering.

I am lucky. :)

13. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Just to be very specific about your question, you assumed several things.

You assumed that people are being motivated by hatred, instead of a desire to warn fellow TGP members of a scammer.

You assumed that Mason Marangella had reformed.

You were also completely willing to believe that TGP members, in additional to being hateful, were capable of and were purely holding a grudge, instead of asking a simple question like, Is Mason still engaging in this behavior? It was easier and faster for you to bear witness falsely.

Even if you had bothered to read this very topic before rushing to judge your fellow TGP members (whether motivated by a disinterest in anyone else's opinions coupled with a desire for others to read yours, or whatever else it made you skip the information contained herein before accusing people of hatred), you would have had other examples of Mason Marangella still engaging in such behavior fairly recently.

I am actually sorry that laying this out plainly likely stings, but when someone ignores opportunities to get the facts before rushing to judgment, a factual rebuke allows one the opportunity to know how one has crossed the line, and how one could better approach such things in the future before making accusations.

14. Mikeyl77

Mikeyl77 Member

If you believe Mason is reformed, as mentioned previously, check out his demo for his upcoming Chorus pedal.

Let's break it down..

2012 - Vertex releases Michael Landau Arion modified chorus

2014 - Wah stuff goes down, Michael Landau puts out a letter distancing himself from Mason saying he wants nothing to do with Vertex and will offer personal refunds on the Chorus - says that Chorus is to stop production

2017 - Mason touting a 'new' Chorus pedal.. Has a promotional video where the guitarist plays a Michael Landau song

Let's imagine you are Mason. An artist has publicly stated they do not want anything to do with your company. So, you use one of that artist's songs to promote a future pedal.

Reformed - get real.

15. TEPR

TEPR Member

He must be forgiven!

16. la noise

la noise Member

My 1995 Ford Ranger approves of this post. :aok

BluesBUSTER and Anacharsis like this.
  17. la noise

la noise Member

There was also a friend @slopeshoulder who was defending him
    with the rabidness of a pit bull at the time.... even to the point of Mason
    confessing to him in person that this was all a "witch-hunt."

I don't think ol' slope is around TGP anymore. :dunno

I guess we can either let bygones be bygones, or be
    those who refuse to learn from history and are doomed
    to repeat it. ;)

I am siding with history and the occasional remedial course
    in reacquainting ourselves with just what that "history" is here. :aok

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  18. la noise

la noise Member

I've heard it suggested by social psychologists and criminal/forensic
    psychologists alike that snaring and then prosecuting con-men is one
    of the hardest things to do.

Why? :huh

People don't want to admit they were duped. :dunno

It's hard to confess one was fooled or duped, and then
    go on record stating it.

19. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I told slopeshoulder at the time that his defense of Mason was to slope's credit, as was his wanting to see good in everyone. I think Mason's employment of slopeshoulder was basely done, and I feel certain that slopeshoulder isn't the only one whom Mason Marangella has used without hesitation for his own self advancement.

Really, the worst part of slopeshoulder's stories was his descriptions of Mason's house IIRC, and my realization that the large, comfortable dwelling was paid for, in part or in full, by Mason using others like slopeshoulder to fraudulently take money from others. I cringe whenever I think of how ill used Mason's "friends" are when employed in that manner.

I can't wait for the next person to skip the full story, in order to jump right to how we're persecuting Mason Marangella in spite of facts establishing that his bad behavior continues to this moment in time... at minimum.

20. Wolfboy1

Man I certainly didn't mean to piss in your Wheaties, go back and read my post carefully paying attention to punctuation. See that question mark at the end of the sentence....I'm looking for an answer as I don't know much about the situation as I plainly stated.

I kind of thought he hadn't reformed based on the way my FELLOW members had reacted but I didn't know therefore the preceding question.

As a matter of fact I did take the time to do a little research on goggle which lead me to several places including GearSlutz where I found the link back to TGP and the apology letter. Just one more wrong "assumption" by you :nono
    Maybe I was to cavalier about using the word "hatred" but you have to admit there are a lot of vitriolic comments towards the man.

This is the second post where you have come down on me like a ton of bricks judging my comments from the rarefied air on your high horse and I don't know why. I did exactly what you suggested and asked a question in my first post. I did some research before posting to get a basis for my question and after reading his apology I made 2 assumptions:
    1) That it seemed like a very sincere apology.
    2) He must not have changed as there was still a lot of negatisim towards him by my FELLOW members.

Thus I asked my question "I take it, after reading this thread, he never quite got his act together?"

Look how many posts I have....I've been here awhile, I have a general feel of the place. If I were making harsh comments about the members here I would have to include myself.

Anyway, I am a fan of free speech, but I would appreciate if you wouldn't reply to my posts any more. I apologize if I upset you but I guarantee you the feeling is mutual.

ProfG, conrad79 and BluesBUSTER like this.