• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New delay/reverb pedal from GFI "Specular Tempus"

Steve73

I really like both the reverb and delay in the Tempus. I have copied my Boss DD2 as well as my FX90 (80’s analog delay) with different presets and the delays in the Tempus are very close, certainly close enough for gigs. The warmth parameter is pretty powerful for dialing in different delay tones.
I agree on the UI for access to the deep dive parameters but most of the common parameters are on knob access. I use my Tempus with a Mastermind PBC6x so the Mastermind switches the Tempus via midi by PBC preset. So versatile, love it.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Nice. I would just be aware that none of those can do what the Dig can do (and that sort of sound is kind of what I missed the most, delay-wise). As a standalone verb, I loved the Tempus. But at that point I may as well have had the Specular verb, which is simpler to use anyway!
messing with the volante tonight I was suprised how good of a DIG tone I could dial in. It’s not the same but it was cool to know I get somewhat close

Studio Delay
Heads & Feedback 3 + 4
Reduce bass on repeats, keep wear where highs shine through
Adjust mechanics to taste for modulation levels

just thought I’d mention it, again not a dig replacement but it could suffice

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I gave the Tempus a shot.
Not for me and not as good as I thought it was from demos.

I could tell fairly quick. I was super excited about the potential and possibilities of it, but even the reverb wasn’t what I was looking for.
No big deal either way - I just thought I’d report.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it and the details.
All this is great to know. I am aware of the UI not being the greatest but I would plan to basically use the pedal knobs for most editing hopefully or at least program things up enough beforehand for as little editing on the fly as possible.
I have a Flint and Volante... so the ST I would plan on using merely as an big ambient machine
Curious your thoughts as it seems from the next page you bought and sold the ST.

I currently have a Flint, recently sold my DIG/El Cap in search for something new, exciting, offering some standard stuff but also more ambient etc. Just sold the Keeley Eccos, wasn't a huge fan.

So, I have been heavily leaning towards the ST with concern it won't do subtle, or analog/tape all that well for every day use, it can obviously do the job for ambience OR the Volante (the recent TPS episode had me gassing). I am sure you're biased towards Strymon, but what are you thoughts on ST vs Volante for a mix of reverb/delay for everyday style playing but also big, ambient type stuff. Can the Volante do more washy, big stuff? Can the ST do clean, subtle and simple delays? Flint will probably stay either way.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Curious your thoughts as it seems from the next page you bought and sold the ST.

I currently have a Flint, recently sold my DIG/El Cap in search for something new, exciting, offering some standard stuff but also more ambient etc. Just sold the Keeley Eccos, wasn't a huge fan.

So, I have been heavily leaning towards the ST with concern it won't do subtle, or analog/tape all that well for every day use, it can obviously do the job for ambience OR the Volante (the recent TPS episode had me gassing). I am sure you're biased towards Strymon, but what are you thoughts on ST vs Volante for a mix of reverb/delay for everyday style playing but also big, ambient type stuff. Can the Volante do more washy, big stuff? Can the ST do clean, subtle and simple delays? Flint will probably stay either way.
If I had to choose between the ST and the Volante for the above stated purposes, Volante. That’s actually exactly what I did.

This may seem harsh but I don’t mean in that way ... but nothing inspired or impressed me about the ST. The versions of tape and analog and digital delays just didn’t really do anything for me. I did primarily buy the ST for ambient reverb tones and the delays or + algos would just be a bonus, but nothing about it worked out for me.

Navigating it was easier than I thought and switching presets and banks and pages was very easy to pick up on.

I did compare the ST reverbs to the Flint directly in the same setting ( as I have a Flint) and it was quick and easy for me to tell I loved the Flint much more, and not just did basic reverbs but for ambient tones as well.

I think the Volante would do what you want. It would be new and exciting. It will do what your El Capistan and DIG did in one pedal but in slightly different ways. I said this in my original review of the Volante in here and I still think it holds merit... the Volante is kind of like if the el cap and dig had a baby. The Volante can do washy and ambient stuff - although in a different way than both the el cap and the Dig.

I hope this helps

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
Curious if you guys are running single or two channel rigs?

For mono the manual says to use left input, but doesn’t mention the output channel. It also says there is stereo output when using a mono/single input, so what happens if only one output is used? Sum of the two channels?

I’ve only had a couple of hours with my pedal, so have much to learn. I‘m not a fan of the user manual. It leaves much to be desired and IMO there should be more information.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
Curious if you guys are running single or two channel rigs?

For mono the manual says to use left input, but doesn’t mention the output channel. It also says there is stereo output when using a mono/single input, so what happens if only one output is used? Sum of the two channels?

I’ve only had a couple of hours with my pedal, so have much to learn. I‘m not a fan of the user manual. It leaves much to be desired and IMO there should be more information.
I specifically emailed GFI and asked them about this a little while ago. There is no summing to mono, it's stereo output only so you're getting one half of a stereo signal; however, it still sounded great to my ears running just the one output.

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
I specifically emailed GFI and asked them about this a little while ago. There is no summing to mono, it's stereo output only so you're getting one half of a stereo signal; however, it still sounded great to my ears running just the one output.
Wow! That’s not good. Not sure what is missing or how the two channels work, but seems this is designed for a stereo operation. Allot of pedals like that, but most sum for mono. But, with this one it appears we’re actually missing something. No wonder it’s not mentioned.

Last edited:

Jimmydeez

Silver Supporting Member
@gfisys or any Tempus experts - I am looking to get an external tap tempo switch for Specular Tempus and I am seeing options for normally Open and Normally Closed but I didn't see any thing in your documentation on which the Tempus is looking for. Also does it need to be a special switch for the auto swell to work on the same button?

Steve Y.

New Specular Tempus owner here. After playing around with it for a bit I figured out how to disable the tap tempo footswitch function in the global settings so that the B footswitch can be used to select the B preset in each bank; however, what I cannot figure out is how to toggle between the reverb and delay patches that are saved in each preset. Is it possible?

Steve Y.

My next question on this pedal - well actually, it's about the SpecLab software. I am running the latest firmware to best of my knowledge (ver. 3.8) and running SpecLab on a Mac running the latest OS. I have noticed on multiple occasions that I will make changes in the SpecLab editor and write the changes to the pedal, which appears to accept them, and then the next time I go to use the pedal and software it will have reverted back to the previous presets. Or sometimes it appears to make a copy of a random preset and overwrite the next adjacent slot with it. It's very frustrating. I am now in the habit of manually backing up the pedal each time i make tweaks that I don't want to lose so that I can revert the entire thing back when this happens. Has anyone else experienced this and can shed some light on how to remedy it?

Trending Topics