New demo.. Got schmo!

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by marsa, May 20, 2019.

1. marsa

marsa Member

Hi, and thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate that!

Well, my experience is sort of similar. The MPX-1 has a vibe of its own and I feel that it works better alone than in conjunction with the other FX in my rack. Not to say that it don't work with others, or to take away any credit of its cool sounds, but for this application I just find other FX more pleasing.

The Marshall on top of the OD100s is an original all stock '71 big box 50w bass spec and the other one, on top of the Fenders, is a kit build of sorts of a plexi small box 50w bass spec. There was a big thread on it over at HRI and the thread will be added to the HRI Archives in the near future. But, on top of my head there is.. let's see.. an original Marshall 1987x headbox, Ceriatone chassis and faceplates, Classictone PT, Mercury Magnetics Choke, Merren Audio OT, NOS Mustards.. hmm.. there's also some NOS Allen Bradley's just for kicks and a couple of NOS Mullard tubes in there. We went all in on that build for sure. It's sounding better every day and it's really close to my original '71. I used the kit amp (nicknamed Mikey) for the solo on this tune together with the Tubedriver.

The Fenders are a '67 Pro Reverb and a '67 Twin Reverb, both stock.

Thanks!
    //M.

2. marsa

marsa Member

Thank you for checking in and for your kind words. Happy you liked my tune!

The DBX is right after the signal hits the rack, before the chorus. So, first in line of all the stuff. It's in a hidden loop made my Bob Bradshaw which resides in the back of the rack.

I use compression like color. Whatever suits the riff at any given moment. I usually only use compression for the really clean stuff. Lotsa spikes that need taming. When mixing, that's another story... dirty stuff might get compression too, but when playing really clean stuff I like compression to even it out and bring out all the details in the riff. The DBX is a great tool to have and usually works great for arpeggiated parts and things that aren't THAT spanky. But if what I'm playing has a lot of snaps and pops and funky twists you need to tame those peaks and that's when I usually use a Cali76 before the amp. Might even use it in conjunction with the DBX. It depends. These tracks will most likely get around 3db of 1176 in the box as well, but that's more for another kind of compression. It can sometimes aid in gettin a little more body.. and also evens it out a little more.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
    //marsa

teofilrocks likes this.
  3. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

That does help. While I have a dbx 160A, I just got a Cali76 as well. They don't sound the same to me, and I need to spend some time learning the Cali76 more. Of course, the Cali is the first pedal on the board, while I think I had the dbx running post-preamp and pre-effects the last time I had it hooked up. I've always had a love/hate relationship with compression, and it's almost completely on me for not taking the time to really increase my knowledge of how best to incorporate it in my rig and with which sounds.

4. marsa

marsa Member

Although the concept of compression is easy to fathom in itself when explained, it is very difficult to totally get under your skin when it comes to actually using it. I guess it really doesn't sink in before you find yourself in a recording situation and having to use it yourself in order to fix things.. and even that takes several tries for one to really get a grasp of it. Using compression as an enhancer is where it starts to get pretty advanced and when you talk about using vintage machines just for the mojo you are either "Yoda the Compressor" or you're just filthy rich hahaha. Don't be fooled.. there are soo many peeps that think they know what they're doing when they really don't.. The most important aspect of a compressor is as a tool. It's easy to make things sound worse than before with compression. But, when you start to hear compression, and I mean really hear what it's doing and how it's working, it's easier to work with. So do not feel defeated. It'll come eventually! Although I have gotten better at working with compression I am by no means an expert, but I've been in that place where you feel like you're never going to get it, but after much trial and error I am finally at a place where I can use it to my benefit and it's a wonderful thing :)

The Cali76 is a cool pedal. But so is the regular Boss compressor.. and several others. It all depends on how they work, what they do and how they alter your sound. Based on this you can choose which compressor would suit best for the task at hand. But, you can read yourself blind on stuff like this so it's best to try'em all! The Cali76 is based on the 1176 compressor which is known to be very fast. It's like, fast or faster.. hahaha.. so you can get in there quickly and tame those peaky transients when you play very dynamically with a clean tone. So I use that to lower those peaks, and then I would use the DBX to just make it sound fuller.. even it out a little more. Keeping more levels in check. That being said, the Cali76 is a very versatile pedal and can help in lots of different situations.

Keep at it!
    //Marsa

noley and teofilrocks like this.
  5. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Location in the signal path is also important. Compression sounds different before fuzz/od/distortion/amp and after, and before time effects and after. Compressing before any gain really evens out the input for your gain tone, and too much can homogenize the gain sounds in a bad way so that playing dynamics go away. Compressor first is more a thing for clean Strat sounds where the guitar’s variations are wide and the amp sound isn’t dialed to break up when you dig in. But youdon’t see a lot of players do LP to cranked compressor to gainy amp. Compressor after gain you get more touch variation in the tonality but with even output levels.

Have fun, experiment, and try to do your critical assessments with fresh ears.

JmpOne and teofilrocks like this.
  6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

That’s a good point. I typically just think of that when judging amps, speakers, or pickups. But I guess it applies to just about any aspect of critical listening.

7. Ian

Ian Member

Hey Marsa!

I just realized that ypu are mot using a loop switcher, aside from the loop with the DBX in it....

A lot of guys seemed to have abandoned the loop switcher as they think it colours the sound negatively......or maybe their music just isn't calling for as much programmability....

Cheers

8. marsa

marsa Member

Hey Ian,

I have no problems with quality loop switchers. They work great and sound great. People need to worry more about their playing. Jeez.

Rock on,
    //M.

ToneLounge likes this.
  9. magnex93

magnex93 Member

10. Ian

Ian Member

LOL, but isn't all of this about splitting hairs?! ;)

11. marsa

marsa Member

Thanks!

12. marsa

marsa Member

I guess it is.. which is why I don't frequent forums anymore. I just wanted to stop by and share my jam because I thought that some might enjoy it. I'm tired of discussing. In the past we used to share knowledge. I liked that. Now it just seems like everything is a pissing contest. Sorry man. I know you're all good, but I just don't want to go there anymore.

Warren Mendonsa and ToneLounge like this.