New Design - Peavey Classic 50 - Summer 2014 Release

hawk101

This is a brand new 2014 design for the long running Classic 50 - now referred to with the "II" designation. They released the redesigned Classic 30 (II) last year. I've had this on order since 11/11/13 when I learned Peavey was redesigning the Classic 50. Received this new amp on 7/25/14. They're not showing up on retailer websites yet. I'm guessing they should start becoming readily available in the near future. I purchased mine through Sweetwater. I have had regular communication with Peavey Customer Service over the last 8+ months while waiting its arrival.

These are some of the design changes according to Peavey:

- New PCB design (all resistors/caps etc. on a single board and re-oriented in amp)
- New housing for EL84 and 12AX7 Tubes
- More stable power amp configuration to accommodate modern EL84 parts
- Additional footswitch capability (Boost function)
- Silent LDR switching
- Classic Jeweled Pilot Light
- Very low microphonic design that works well with most any 12AX7
- Improved hand-wound transformer design
- Universal power transformer setup, via internal series/parallel connections
- No NOISY tube clips
- Easier access to change tubes
- IEC power inlet
- EXTERNAL mains fuse

If you're familiar with the Classic 50 you'll notice a familiar look from the front and a significantly different look from the back side. Although the controls are identical, the internal electronics have had a complete makeover. They've also gone back to a slight diagonal speaker pattern again. Still has the Blue Marvel speakers. Foot-switch was included with mine.

I have included a number of photos below. One interesting added feature about this amp - a sticker on the back that indicates this amp is a prototype and not intended for resale. Just an interesting tidbit. Guess this one is technically a pre-production model that someone at Peavey let out the door too soon.

Initial sound quality is very good but will take some time to fully evaluate performance and tone.

Let me know what you think of the changes.

IMG_0776.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Wow - they really take baby steps over at Peavey, don't they? The previous iteration has been around for what, 20+ years?

I was hoping to read something along the lines of 'now available in a head format' or 'independent EQ on each channel.' A boost is a nice function, but it'll more than likely be a fixed setting. A 6L6 version would be too much to hope for.
I get the simplicity of the Classic series, and there has been many a time I've considered the 212 combo, but I think it's not too much to ask for separate EQ for the gain channel.

grizdeluxe

Wow - they really take baby steps over at Peavey, don't they? The previous iteration has been around for what, 20+ years?

I was hoping to read something along the lines of 'now available in a head format' or 'independent EQ on each channel.' A boost is a nice function, but it'll more than likely be a fixed setting. A 6L6 version would be too much to hope for.
I get the simplicity of the Classic series, and there has been many a time I've considered the 212 combo, but I think it's not too much to ask for separate EQ for the gain channel.

There has been a Classic 50 head for years.

DaveKS

Sorry. I'm a relative novice in the forum world. What do I need to do to post the photos properly ?

You need to have photos on a photo file service like photobucket or run your own file server so they can be posted in as web links to photos.

LPVM

Set up a Photobucket account and upload them there. Once they are on there you can click on them and will have access to links you can copy & paste into your post so they can be seen.

zzmoore

hawk101 -
Welcome..... pay no mind to any Doom and Gloom comments.
Thanks for the info.

Even if it meant an extra 150 bux at the register, I have always thought Peavey Could Be/Should Be much bigger name in guitar amps.

Regardless...!!
- New PCB design (all resistors/caps etc. on a single board and re-oriented in amp) ...!! :aok :aok :):):)

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
There has been a Classic 50 head for years.

I said 'NOW available'.
There HASN'T been a Classic 50 head for years.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the point is probably moot. You can get other Peavey offerings that do multi-channels w/independent EQ.

grizdeluxe

The classic series is probably Peaveys most successful amp line. It makes sense to me that they made gradual improvements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

hawk101

E9380CD9-C9DA-45A7-B261-C72D28B2FC99_zpsiadswo7s.jpg
ABF15735-AD2C-4AFC-83C3-3934575899A4_zpsltxzb84a.jpg

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
The classic series is probably Peaveys most successful amp line. It makes sense to me that they made gradual improvements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed - they are Peavey's 'workhorse' line. The Classic 30 is pretty much their 'Fender Hot Rod Deluxe' in terms of being an industry-standard, affordable, reliable combo. I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that folks wouldn't complain about the option for individual tone controls for 'normal' and 'lead' if the core sound was the same.

Just sayin', JUST SAYIN', for the 5150 II they put separate EQ on both channels and made the 'crunch' button on the Rhythm/clean channel footswitchable.
Done now - goin' to play my JSX :D

LPVM

It looks nice, congrats. Are they releasing a 410 version as well? I picked up a Delta Blues several weeks ago and absolutley love that amp.

I said 'NOW available'.
There HASN'T been a Classic 50 head for years.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the point is probably moot. You can get other Peavey offerings that do multi-channels w/independent EQ.

I imagine you could order a classic 50 head from the amp custom shop, which I think they still have running.

It sounds to me like Peavey tweaked the components that needed tweaking while avoiding the temptation to fix what's not broken. Good for them, I say! Some day (if I ever get a job again...), I hope to get the Classic 50 and maybe the 30 as well - they're both so differently voiced that it ought to be worth it.

Last edited:

eschatts

If they redesigned it why wouldn't they have a 1/2 power switch? I think so many of the other guys like egnater, blackstar are doing well if because of that one feature.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom