New DGT vs Used DGT?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MichaelSaulnier, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I'm finally ready to get a DGT... I've read all the great comments, and the few negative ones... watched the video reviews and listened to recordings.

I'm convinced it's a great guitar and one that I will enjoy.

But I noticed in interviews David talks a lot about the ongoing evolution of the DGT, recently with the new PRS finish and improvements in the pickups.

Was there a particular year where the current features were present? For example, is an '08 essentially the "same" as an '11 or '12?

I'd like to get the savings of a used one, but want to make certain I'm getting the latest "features"...

Anyone know the details?

M

2. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

I know the most recent models no longer have a Nitro finish and instead have that PRS V12 finish. Not sure about any of the other changes, although I'm petty sure that's the only one. I would jump on a used DGT if I could find one... Most of the ones out there were birdless and or goldtops, so I bought new from Wildwood to get the one I wanted.

3. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a brand new 2011 model, all black, for $2060 shipped. You'll pay a lot more for one with a flamed top or 10 top, and birds.

4. Jedi

Jedi Member

I bought one new in 2011, Goldtop w/ moon, 7.5lbs and it is phenomenal. It has become my number one and I have no issues with the E string falling off the neck. BTW - have been a long-time Fender Tele player......

5. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

It's really a personal choice. I've owned both and prefer the pre-V12 ones. I can say that Dave really kinda freaked when they switched finishes. He wasn't sure and thought it would change the overall tone of the guitar. I've since talked with him and he really is impressed with the new V-12 stuff. The Phase III tuners are also really nice on the new ones. I'm just stuck on the Nitro Urban Legend !

6. Faded

Faded Member

I've played both and really like either one about the same as the other. The 2011 is what I spent my money on.

7. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

I had several from 2007-2011, I prefer the feel of the V12, andMUCH prefer the Phase3 tuners. IMHO the 2011 models are preferable. All are great though, of course!