New Digitech Jamman vs. RC-20XL Loop Station

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JKoeth, Sep 10, 2005.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I'm really curious about the Jamman. It's pretty new so there's not many reviews out there. It seems to have gone beyond the Boss.

Anyone tried both?

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm interested in comparisions too. I have a LS XL, which I love. Being able to save loops, 16 min of memory, it's frikkin cool! I'm not really tempted at all to replace the LS.

BUT, the JamMan seems to stomp the Loop Station in memory. It uses flash cards, I do know that my Korg 4 track that uses flash cards, sounds like butt! I'm highly untech when it comes to the sampling rates/quality so someone might be able to shoot me down on that one.

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

The sampling rate on the Jamman is higher. It's 44.1k so it is CD quality. That's about all I know.

4. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

The Jamman doesn't have the RC20XL's fadeout feature which I really like for live use.

5. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

What about the Jamman's list of features?

Removable CompactFlash™ Type I memory (up to 2GB of storage or 6-1/2 hour capacity)
    Records up to 99 loops
    USB connection
    XLR, 1/4", and 1/8" connections for a microphone, guitar, ampli├×er, and more
    44.1k sampling rate
    2 wide-spaced footswitches
    Create repeating or single-use phrases
    Double-digit segment display
    Metronome with multiple sounds and time signatures
    Loop decay and fade controls
    Rugged metal chassis
    Power supply included

Does this "Loop decay and fade controls" mean something different? Have you tried it in person?

Thanks for the feedback!

6. D.G.

D.G. Member

Hmm. Where did you find this? I looked through the online user's manual and didn't find any reference to Loop decay and fade controls.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I took a look at the Manual as well and didn't see it either but it's listed in the features everywhere. I found that list on Musician's Friend and elsewhere. Not sure what it means. The manual was not very specific.

8. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Anyone try both of these pedals?

9. drolling

drolling Member

I've got the RCxl and the new DigiTech looper.

I'm finding that the JamMan's working better for me than the RC20xl. Sounds better, for starters, and I'm able to pile on overdubs without as much denigration of sound quality that I'm getting from the Boss.

I may not be using the Boss properly, tho', as I had no manual till Moe hipped me to the on-line pdf on a thread I started here a couple days ago.

I've also really just scratched the surface with the JamMan, and haven't even read the manual- so I can't comment on the 'loop decay & fade' features yet.

These new loopers are a lot more complicated than my old Lexicon JamMan and Boomerang+, which are pretty much plug & play boxes that aren't much harder to operate than a delay pedal.

I'm just a player, really, who likes working with distorted guitar tones & polyrhythms- all the technical stuff's way over my head- Heck, I still track to tape and I'm still trying to get to the bottom of all the wonderful stuff that my Electrix Repeater is supposed to be able to do...

At least the new JamMan seems to work with most compact flash cards. I have never been able to get my hands on a CFC that works with the Repeater so I'm still stuck with the original card that it shipped with.

The JamMan comes with a 128 mb card that's got a few bass'n'drum loops already on it. Unlike the flashy samples that come with the Boss unit, these loops are basic blues/rock/funk/country grooves in guitar friendy keys ( E, A, D, G) that the most inexperienced looper can be up & running with in minutes.

I'll take a look at the manual & try to post some useful info if I can..

10. drolling

drolling Member

Read the manual carefully last night and there is nothing about fades or loop decay. I'll be taking this question to the DigiTech forum & the yahoo users group, because this is a feature that would be very useful to me.

Sometimes the manual's written before all the features are implemented. There's a couple of key functions of the BlackBox, for example, that I had to have explained to me be their tech support. It seems like they really rush a lot of things to market these days.

11. telest

telest Member

I'm going to check out the JamMan. Have owned a 'Rang and Loop Station in the past. I don't think they worked right though...on the play back, I didn't sound so hot. :eek: ;)

Steve

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've have had the Boss and a current version Rang for a number of years and far prefer the Rang. This is because my use for it is as a jamming partner. I want to lay down a rhythm track, maybe a bass line, and just play lead over it. What I love about the Rang is the user friendliness of re-do's. Let's say I lay down a rhythm and screw up the last bar. It takes a blink of the eye to begin another version. I like this and need this. I did not like waiting for the Boss (and the JamMan is like this) to erase so I could start over. It seems like a small point, but somehow it makes a difference to me. Now, if I wanted to store a library of backing tracks, that would be a whole other thing and I'd probably pick up the JamMan. But that's not what I do. I want easy access lightning fast changes to what I'm doing and the Rang just does it. I also appreciate the on-the-fly output level control with the vol wheel. Actually I've been talking to Mike Nelson about a redesign of that wheel to make it even easier to use.

btw, Mike (owner of Boomerang) sent out an email advertising a Rang that is about half price because there's a defect in the chip. The defect would almost never matter as it affects just one thing that I'd never use (can't recall the details at the moment). It's a very good deal. And no, I'm not a dealer for Boomerang.....

my $.02

jon

13. markp

markp Member

I am wondering how people ar running their looper?

What I was thinking was to run a two amp rig with the looper in front of the rythm rig and then playing the lead rig along side.Is anyony doing this?

Why I am wondering about peoples set ups is,when people talk about big loops with multy instuments or drum,that wounldnt work with guitar amp to well.

Give us some Ideas please.

14. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I use mine in one of two ways. First, in the loop of a channel switcher, so the looper is 'seeing' all the effects and preamp tone before going to the power amp. If there's no loop, then I use a Palmer (either PGA 04 or PDI09) to get a line signal of the output for the looper, then run that to a second amp (power amp) to cab, as a slave.

jon

15. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

As a Boomerang user for many years, here are the things I wish Mike at Boomerang would do on a new looper:

True bypass switch to take it out of the signal if needed

smaller size than the existing boomerang

take off the once/ab switch

make it have less or no hiss at all.

have it in a standard box, without the angle. My board is already angeled, so with a boomerang it's SUPER angled! This feature is not as important as the others, obviously.

The sound quality and ease of use are un-matched by any other looper I've tried, including the new Boss RC20XL. I have no clue about rackmount loopers, but that is something I don't really want to get into.

16. drolling

drolling Member

For realtime looping, these new offerings by Boss & DigiTech have not been able to replace the good old 'Rang and the original Lexicon JamMan (w/memory upgrade, of course). I was pretty sure it was my lack of ease with new technologies (I'm typing this on a pentiumII in windows98!!), so it's kinda reassuring to hear that other players are still using these old clunkers to make music.

I've posted a question about that fadeout feature on those 2 JamMan forums and will be periodically checking back for a response.

17. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

If you're playing loops of drums, keys, etc., why not just record it and burn it to a CD that you plug into the PA?

My son's band had their drums on CD. It worked fine live.

The loopers like the RC20, JamMan, Boomerang, etc. were designed for guitarists, though it would be nice if they incorporated the suggestions from agentcooper2001.

18. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i can't believe no one has built a true bypass looper (phrase sampler) with the features I mentioned earlier. If they did, it would sell like hotcakes! (not the hotcake pedal, mind you)

19. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I have the original Boss RC-20. But I'm intrigued by the JamMan. It looks like it'll do everything the RC-20 will do ('cept maybe fade/decay) and then some.

I don't use the RC-20 live, just for practice. It's in the FX loop so I record the rhythm track with the FX I want. Then switch to play leads or practice scales over it. Works slick.

20. telest

telest Member

I ordered the JamMan and will get it Wednesday, also downloaded the manual for a head start. I'll report back later in the week with initial impressions. My main objective is to loop music passages from cds to learn parts, and general goofing around with loops. Won't be using in a live setting.

Steve