New DiMarzio - Area T 615

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bucksears, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

From the description (and output), looks like something they set squarely between the Area T and Area T Hot. More like 'hot country' than straight-up rock. Not sure how interested I am as I was looking at regular single-coils again earlier this week, but 'twang with some heat' IS what I'm after.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/tele/hum-canceling/area-t-615

2. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

Bumping this up as the only rub I have against my Dimarzio Bridge 418 Area T is that it has a bit of a mid bump compared to my standard vintage pups. These 615's, just introduced, have a little less mids present which to my ears would be a good thing! Any one tried this pup yet?

3. starjag

starjag Member

Curious as well!

4. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

Quoting myself...I should seek counselling...
    Anyway, I just shot an email to DiMarzio because as hard as I try...I can't find this pup for sale anywhere yet. I guess we'll just have to wait a bit! I'll re-post the response I get from them!
    ---Peace

5. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

Wow...GREAT customer service from DiMarzio in getting back to me so quickly! Here's the email:

DiMarzio Tech tech@dimarzio.com
    8:34 AM (33 minutes ago)
    to me

This model is not shipping yet. Current estimate is around March 1. Please ask your DiMarzio dealer to order it for you, and yours will be among the first to ship.

Looks like we'll have to just let the gas build for another month...
    "LOOKOUT...SHE'S GONNA BLOW!!" :omg

6. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

I just ordered a Super Distortion T for an Esquire project.....if it sounds anything lik ethe Super Distortion S I have I'll be pleased :drool

7. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

The HOT T is sick but too much at times! This might be THE ticket!

8. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

:agree

9. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Just a heads-up. If you buy DiMarzios, you may already know this. The BEST place to buy them from is banjomikez on eBay. He's an official dealer for them. He has almost everything, even stuff not advertised on DiMarzio's site. Anything he doesn't have, he can get! Great service all around. If there was a new DiMarzio that I wanted to pre-order, he'd be my first point of contact.

frankencat likes this.
  10. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

This is true....he gives tons of swank with the orders too (stickers etc)

11. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

Bumping this up because I just saw that banjomikez has the Area T 615 for sale now.
    Anyone pull the trigger yet??
    If so...DO TELL!!

12. yodeloften

yodeloften Supporting Member

Bumping this again, wondering if anyone has given the 615 a shot?

13. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

LOL yodeloften!
    I just now arrived home from my luthier who installed the 615 and an Area T neck in my Fender Custom Shop Tele. I've played for 20 minutes direct into my '65 Deluxe no reverb. I had the standard Area T in an American Standard Tele that I recently sold. I really dug the neck pickup...but the bridge had a little mid bump to my ear in comparison to a stock Tele bridge pup. This 615 bridge is...so far...EVERYTHING I had hoped it would be! Gone is the mid bump...and it has a slightly more ballsy sound! Just perfect now IMO!
    I'll post again after I play it in a band setting tonight, Saturday and Sunday.

14. yodeloften

yodeloften Supporting Member

thanks, Ancient Rocker, looking forward to that review!

15. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Even though not a Strat Pickup-I wonder where this would fall in relation to Area 67 Area 58 and Area 61 because I wonder if an Area Plus__ that's a bit fatter than a 61 would be a cool sound .......

Are these fatter in Bass and Mids than an area 61 ?

16. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

OK...
    I've lived with the 615 in my custom shop Tele for a couple weeks now so here are some thoughts...
    The 615 is EVERYTHING I had hoped it would be AND MORE! I had the Area T 615 bridge installed along with the Area T neck. I had an American Tele a while back with the standard Area T set and REALLY dug it...except for the mid bump in the bridge. The 615 adresses this issue and rolls the mids back to where a GREAT Tele pup should be IMO. It is DEFINITELY hotter than the standard...but in a really good way! I had to play with the pickup height quite a bit until I found the sweet spot for each pup and was able to achieve an excellent output balance between the two pups. These Area Ts are VERY sensitive to height adjustment, and even when they're quite close to the strings do NOT have a negative affect on string vibration/sustain. This lack of magnet "pull" on the string allows for a CRAZY amount of adjustment from calssic "weaker" Tele tones to a sledgehammer to the forehead!
    I, for one, can't recommend the 615 higher. Classic Tele tone, ZERO hum and BALLS!!

17. DavidLM

DavidLM Member

Cool. Good review, Ancient.

18. Ancient Rocker

Ancient Rocker Member

Thanks Man! Happy to do it!

19. djw

djw Member

Intriguing. I think I will give this a whirl. I've enjoyed my Area Ts, but I like how this 615 looks like it sounds... or something like that... will provide a report when I get it installed.

20. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Thank Ancient, really helpful review and exceptional timing since I'm getting started on a new tele build. Between the new pickup and the original Area T, any thoughts on which one might work better with a neck bucker? I'm looking at the Lollar El Rayo or Low Wind Imperial, or might just go back to a TV Jones Classic.

Also curious - what kind of bridge/saddles are you using? I think this is fairly relevant to this kind of pickup's performance.