New DL4

Dr. Chang

fair enough..Doesnt look too on the fly easy to tweak like standard pedals..but he to each his own
And how exactly is twisting a few knobs not on the fly easy? Seems like the toughest mental gymnasium is remembering to hold on to the legacy button to adjust the reverb. And no, referencing the confusing global setting table don't count since no one I know changes such settings live during a gig...

phil_m

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Gold Supporting Member
Maybe that's because they don't do a great job explaining what these things are (e.g. a BLOCK DIAGRAM cough cough) or I tired of the HX Effects for other reasons. I got a Headrush MX5 but its only delays are "Tape Delay", "BBD Delay" and "Dynamic Delay" which AFAIK are just what was in the 11 Rack.
Is the signal chain of the HX Effects a block diagram in and of itself?

Digital Larry

Is the signal chain of the HX Effects a block diagram in and of itself?
Well yeah, but I'm talking about a lower level. e.g. the "Dynamic Flanger", clearly modeled after the Dynaflanger. I found a schematic for that and fortunately I can read those so I figured out more or less what the Line6 implementation was. They barely document it other than to acknowledge that it exists, and that one's pretty complicated.

Also, some settings have a dependency on others (like LFO speed controls which don't do anything when LFO is set to "Manual"), and controls which are currently inactive still allow you to adjust them with no warning, left to wonder "why isn't it doing anything"?

stevel

Yes. From the FAQ:
  • Analog dry path (or DSP mix, like the original)
I read the FAQ but didn't see it - Can I assume the footswitches work the same way as before - if Effect 1 is on, and you press Effect 2, it both turns off 1 and turns on 2 with the single switch?

I also noticed it said 6 presets - but I didn't see how to get to them - Tap button becomes the toggle for them?

God I really need a DM and MM 4. If I were to win the lottery, how much would it cost me to make versions of those for me? I'm serious.

I ordered one. Looking forward to it. It's absolutely nutz to me that with all the delay pedals out there, only the Flashback X4 had the same layout and similar features. About 6 years ago, once I figured out that the legacy DL4 was lacking in sound quality compared to modern pedals, it's been a pain to find a modern replacement. I was using an X4 for a few years, but the frigging presets would vanish upon power off, and I really missed to auto volume setting off the DL4. So I 'downsized' to that frickin Flashback 2 and haven't had tap tempo since - grrrrr. Iaudio had firmware issues with both my X4 and FB 2. So yeah, I'm excited to have that same easy access to saved presets and more.

Digital Igloo

I read the FAQ but didn't see it - Can I assume the footswitches work the same way as before - if Effect 1 is on, and you press Effect 2, it both turns off 1 and turns on 2 with the single switch?

I also noticed it said 6 presets - but I didn't see how to get to them - Tap button becomes the toggle for them?

God I really need a DM and MM 4. If I were to win the lottery, how much would it cost me to make versions of those for me? I'm serious.
Yes.

Yes, TAP can be globally reassigned to:
  • Always-available 1-Switch Looper
  • Expression toggle (same as moving an expression pedal from heel to toe, or you could consider it two snapshots in a single preset)
  • Momentary Squeal (same as turning Repeats all the way up)
  • Preset DEF toggle
It'd cost a lot.

FuzzyAce

I miss my old DL4. In a moment of stupidity I traded it for something else. And I liked what it did to the sound, enhanced a certain something which added to the charm.
The new one has me interested for sure.

shredmiyagi

Nice. Of all the pedals I ever had, i always had the strongest connection with my first DL4 circa 02 or so. Broke 3 of them before moving on, but ironically started looking for one recently. They were huge and clunky, so this update is very appealing. Nothing quite like the looper. There was a love/hate thing with the buffer/tone, and I generally enjoyed what it did barre certain guitars, amps, and situations.

Might temporarily bench my Boss Re-20.

I hope there’s a hold tap function to switch to looper mode.

tktk

Nice. Of all the pedals I ever had, i always had the strongest connection with my first DL4 circa 02 or so. Broke 3 of them before moving on, but ironically started looking for one recently. They were huge and clunky, so this update is very appealing. Nothing quite like the looper. There was a love/hate thing with the buffer/tone, and I generally enjoyed what it did barre certain guitars, amps, and situations.

Might temporarily bench my Boss Re-20.

I hope there’s a hold tap function to switch to looper mode.
You can use 1-switch looper in any delay mode, but you have to use an external switch or midi to switch delay/looper mode.

weedzzz

The original series is good, the modulation version and also the distortion modeller anyway. I know The Edge has the distortion version made into a rackmount unit for his live rig.

Line 6 used to get bashed a lot before the Helix, even though it had made some really good products in the past. The series of pedals this Delay come from is good in my opinion, just had some flaws too, especially reliability with the switches. The delay was always the most loved though, so it’s no surprise to see it get a revamp. The other pedals were cool but I think they are best left in the past.

You can use 1-switch looper in any delay mode, but you have to use an external switch or midi to switch delay/looper mode.
oh so do you mean, that if I had midi - I could change into the 'full' looper (all footswitches) mode just by stomping on the midi footswitch?

celticelk

oh so do you mean, that if I had midi - I could change into the 'full' looper (all footswitches) mode just by stomping on the midi footswitch?

OR you could use MIDI commands to use the looper without having to change modes. It’s a pretty flexible setup, and strikes me as a good balance between maintaining all of the original DL4 workflow while incorporating a bunch of additional, highly requested features.

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
Looks like a worthy update. I have my DL-4 and ML-4 Mk I's, and hauled a very heavy pedalboard for years with both on it. They are now in house effects, but are still remarkable. I do envy the flexibility of the Mk. II DL-4.

@tktk @celticelk I've never used midi before. But this is now a reason for me to start! This is a pretty exciting release I have to say! Now I just gotta hold out until someone demos/tests/ab's this Auto Volume. That's the real clincher for me (as in, is it exact sound/response as mki). If it Auto Volume is copacetic then I'm grabbing one!

Top Bottom