New D'Lite 22 ODS - Amazing amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by andyc, Jun 15, 2008.

1. andyc

andyc Member

I just built this D'lite 22 ODS. Built from the kit from Brown Note. My wife and son bought me the kit as a Father's Day present. No, I didn't build it in one day!:p The kit showed up about 2 weeks ago - faster shipping than we expected. So I started on it back then, and worked a couple hours every day or two.

The kit was great. Everything I needed was in it. Moss at Brown Note was very helpful, as is the Brown Note forum. I'm not new to working on amps - I'm a television/radio engineer - but this is the first amp I've built from the ground up. It went together perfectly.

Today I lit it up. Only problem was a bad 12AX7, but I had a spare. I brought the amp up on a Variac/isolation transformer and all the voltages checked out fine.

[​IMG]

Once it was checked out, I brought it into the studio, plugged it into a V30, ran my '58 reissue LP into it and let it rip! This little amp is amazing! From bluesy cleans that sparkle and break up sweetly to just killer rock overdrive! Lots of flexibility in tone. WAY more gain than I expected it would have. I meant to just check it out briefly to make sure it worked but an hour later I was still wailing away. This thing has that sound that just inspires you to keep playing. No need for any preamp to push this amp, or any pedal to get overdrive - it's all there. Bluesy breakup, straight up rock to violin sustain. Damn...

I have the head cab on order from Moss, so it's not all together yet, but here's a shot of it in my studio with the '58 reissue:

[​IMG]

For now it's loaded with 6V6's. I may try the 6L6's at some point - I put a switch it to switch the output transformer for 6L6's in case I do, but I don't think I will. I have a Mesa Lonestar Classic if I need big clean power. The 6V6's sound so sweet, and breakup early enough that you get it at tolerable volume levels... But then if you crank it, it gets deafening..

Thanks a million, Moss and company! This amp is killer!! Gonna go play!!.. :banana

2. pepi

pepi Member

Nice job on the build. Looks sweet ;)

3. doveman

doveman Member

I have one as well ... when you check out the tubes ... don't forget to try Tung-Sol 5881s. Here's how they ranked for me ...

Without a doubt the 5881 (on 6L6 transformer setting) is the best of the 3 tubes sets for my style of playing. I biased them both at 31-32ma .. a little cold sounded good.
    • Best = 25w - Tung Sol 5881s (Smooth but a bit of edge/chunkiness)
    • Really Good = 22w - JJ-6V6-s (Smooth & sweet)
    • Good = 33w - Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR (tight with more head room)
    Congrats on the amp ... I had a similar positive experience. :)

4. phalanges

phalanges Member

Congrat's to you and the fun your gonna have.
    These amps and the experience of building and tweaking them has become an ongoing education for my tone ears and my understanding of circuits.
    There are many to thank, most are on this board.

5. andyc

andyc Member

Thanks, pepi!

Doveman,

I'm aware of your build, as the excellent photos and description of the process that you posted on the BN forum were very helpful to me during my build! Thanks very much for that, and for the tube suggestions here!

Yep, it's a fun experience and very rewarding. My plan was to build the amp according to the plans, and then tweak the voicing a bit afterwards. So far I can't figure out what I'd want to change about this particular amp - it really sings!

6. hottub

hottub Member

great build right there! I'd imagine very satisfying indeed. Love the D'Lites!

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Congrats on the new amp. You're going to dig all the SWEET tones available in this amp. Clean to mean and in between.

8. doveman

doveman Member

You may find that you do not want to change it. Mine was built with the BassMod included. I removed it putting it back to the original design ... liked it just slightly better. So I sort of removed the only mod so-to-speak.

So far I have only tried different tubes in it ... as I mentioned. Ended up pairing it with two vastly different speaker cabs ... and running them both ... 1x12 G1265 and 2x10 Emi 105.

9. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Congrats, Happy Father's Day and great job on the build! The BN stuff is sounding amazing these days/

10. andyc

andyc Member

Thanks, guys. I'm really impressed with this amp - and it was a fun build!.

What's the BassMod all about?

11. scottl

scottl Member

The Dumble tonestack always has the input and wiper connected on the bass pot when in normal, unboosted mode. He used a relay to break that connection when in PAB boost mode. The Brownnote guys found that they could get a thinner tone by not connecting those legs, actually better for PAB mode (unless you correctly implement the boost by using both halves of the relay), but making dramatically less bass when unboosted. As a switching option, it may be a cool idea. But, in the end, the tones will be far superior if you leave the stack as Dumble intended. If the tone is too bassy, there are much better mods to try. Such as lowering the size of the CL2 cap from .05uf to .02uf and lowering the V2b bypass cap from 10uf to 4.7uf. I have heard the bass mod in several Dlites and I did not like it at all.

I should clarify that for me, bass mod means not jumpering the pot. That is a mod from the correct Dumble way.

12. doveman

doveman Member

Easiest thing to do on the Bass Mod, go to the Brown Note forum and do a search on "Bass Mod". You'll find drawings and discussion on the whole topic, as well.

13. andyc

andyc Member

Got it - thanks Scott! Well, cool. I did it the "correct Dumble way" then. I certainly don't find the tones to be too bassy.

Will do, Doveman. Thanks.

14. scottl

scottl Member

Try using a relay that breaks the jumper when you use the boost. That is what Dumble did. It lifts the ground from wherever the wiper is to the full amount of the pot when the boost is used. Slightly fatter tone when boosting.

15. andyc

andyc Member

I tried to minimize the use of extra "stuff" in the circuit, so I avoided the foot pedal and relays. My intention is to use this amp in a studio where I have less concern about instant channel switching.

Since the PAB is a SPST switch, I could just put a DTDP switch in there and have that switch the jumper on or off with the PAB. Anyone done it that way?

16. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I think I would really like the Brown Notes and the Blue Monkey in particular. The clips on the website all sound delicious, but I would like to hear some low gain/slight overdrive tones.

Tom

17. scottl

scottl Member

Yep. Dumble. (and every other maker of these amps)

18. andyc

andyc Member

Sounds like a winner. I'll pick up a mini DPDT switch and make that change. Thanks for the feedback, Scott!

19. 5E3

5E3 Member

Beautiful job Andyc! Congrats! :AOK

20. andyc

andyc Member

Thanks, man! It was a lot of fun.

The amp does really well for the tones you are describing too. Just really touch sensitive and expressive in that lower gain, slight overdrive zone. Actually in all zones, but it's a joyously expressive amp. They could have a number of additional clips that would help tell that story.

I've never played through a Dumble-style amp before. The preamp boost and bright switches REALLY give the amp a lot of flavors. And the overdrive stage is very versatile. Love it!