New Dr Scientist Pedal on the way "Dusk"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by downburst82, Dec 31, 2019.

1. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

My Insta has some clips. Sorry it’s not super great quality but newborn and Toddler are making it difficult to find time and make real clips during quarantine. I’ve got a bunch going up

2. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Sounds cool! Thanks for sharing this...I can't wait to get one!

3. TedJames

TedJames Member

How’s the envelope function.

I haven’t found many demos exploring that much at all.

I was watching one review and the reviewer (can’t remember who - was someone I’d never seen before) said he had to crank the internal envelope sensitivity all the way up to get a consistent trigger - and said that was true for anyone using it for guitar as compared to keyboards. I was all fired up for this thing until I heard that. I’m a light picker, mostly single coil guitars and tend to favor weaker pickups in general. So that was kind of the deal killer for me.

4. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I’ve had the pedal for a day now. Love it! Absolutely love it!! I’ve never had a filter pedal before so I have nothing to compare it to, but boy is it fun to play. Love using the LFO mode with a slight swirly filter going on, almost like a harmonic tremolo meets phaser.

Clean Channel and rubbersoul like this.
  5. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

I could see how this may be a concern. I play somewhat the same, but it does react, maybe not as much as you would want. I haven’t adjusted the internal sensitivity, but I imagine they send the pedal out to not favour any one instrument so it’s set between the two. Sounds like a little adjustment and it’ll work for ya.

You could also contact Ryan and ask him directly. He’s great to deal with.

TedJames and Clean Channel like this.
  6. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

I would say this is true. It has to be cranked

TedJames and Clean Channel like this.
  7. TerminalVertigo

TerminalVertigo Member

Same :)

Clean Channel likes this.
  8. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Hey man, long time! Do you still have your amazing collection of DrS pedals?

rubbersoul likes this.
  9. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Seriously...TerminalVertigo had one of the best collection of Dr. Scientist pedals I've ever seen!

10. Empros

Empros Member

Really enjoying the demos of this one, sounds awesome.

Clean Channel is selling himself short, his collection was (is?) pretty awesome as well!

rubbersoul and Clean Channel like this.
  11. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Thank you! Happy to report the collection "is" as great as ever! I use my DrS pedals all the time. I have a Dusk and Boost Bot incoming!

Empros and rubbersoul like this.
  12. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Can anyone who's ordered a Dusk offer another review? Really intrigued by this pedal!

13. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Mine is arriving next week. I'll be sure to report back!

dg87, Empros and rubbersoul like this.
  14. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Alright, I got to play around with it this morning for a good while!

Here's what I've learned so far, only using it for guitar:

-If you're playing it through guitar, especially single coils, you want to dime the internal trimpot for sensitivity. I played with with the back off and messed with the trimpot for a good long while, and for sure, all the way up for guitar.

-while you're at it, you might as well dime the resonance internal trimpot as well. It just sets the limit on how high the resonance knob goes. Why not have those laser sounds at your disposal for when you need them. And if you like pedals the way I like pedals, of course you will NEED them!

-dialing in a 'standard' envelope filter sound is a little tough at first; you need to find the sweet spot for guitar. I've found the Filter knob at 1:00-2:30 is best, with the Resonance being slightly less picky, but also the 1:00-3:00 range being where I kept it most of the time. Once you know where the right range is, then you can dial in envelope quickly. Also, slight adjustments to the Filter knob in that range can make a pretty big difference. Clearly, the Filter knob has a huge range so that it can work with all kinds/levels of inputs, not just guitar.
    *I would also say that the envelope filter has a bit of it's own unique character to it (which is very Dr Scientist, as he has no interest in making clones or doing what's been done), so if you're looking for your Dad's envelope tone, you may struggle.

-the other modes (Manual Mode and LFO mode) are super fun and usable. Obviously an expression pedal is highly recommended! But even the little drop thing you can do on manual mode with the tap switch is super fun and I could totally use it in songs.

-I haven't tried making any presets yet, but I think it's great that it's there.

Looking forward to hearing from others who have gotten it!

15. Empros

Empros Member

Great review!

rubbersoul and Clean Channel like this.
  16. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Here's how she looks on the board fellas!

Random1643, Meriphew, Seance and 4 others like this.
  17. dg87

dg87 Member

Awesome board!!

18. Empros

Empros Member

Awesome.
    What did it replace?

19. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Pulled off the Empress Phaser. Despite it not being on the board, keeping it of course! I love that Empress phaser!

dg87 and Empros like this.
  20. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to getting one as I'll be using it for guitar, keyboards, and drum machine to do recordings with. It sounds like it's a got a great range...which is standard for Dr. Scientist pedals!

And your board...oh my! Beautiful!