New Dr Scientist Pedal on the way "Dusk"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by downburst82, Dec 31, 2019.

1. analogic

analogic Member

I'm interested in the Dusk, but I am looking for some clarification. Can you set the Envelope so it completely removes that Attack from your signal(like an Auto-Swell)?

2. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

I had the Dusk for about a week and I love it. It is so simple but packs so much. Different modes (and sub modes) and the Multi Stomp (the second switch on the pedal, not Zoom Multistomp) do a lot. I didn't think I'd have much use for the cut mode but combined with the Multi Stomp, it can do amazing swells. I also really like that there are 6 waveforms in the LFO mode. I love combining random LFO with a random vibrato like Deco (you can hear this in the video below.) Also, I'm not an envelope filter user but I like this. I think most envelope filters are band pass, and I like low pass more.
    I guess not a lot of people have this yet but I'd love to hear thoughts from others.
    Here's what I recorded with it:

I'd use cut mode and the Multi Stomp for this. It works great. You can hear it in my video.

3. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

crap... another cool pedal that I think my old BOSS GT-6 can actually cop! It's AutoWah has a plethora (lol) of controls... I'm going to see if I can't replicate your tones there.

Great Video, btw!

Does Dusk have any competition?

shanetram likes this.
  4. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

Yea, my GT-6 does NOT 'do' Dusk:mad:... ok AutoWah, but not sweeping so hot...

5. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

Thanks!

Multifx pedals like that always had not so great filters in my experience. I don’t use any of the filters in my HX Stomp or Zoom Multistomp.

Dusk is so simple and so versatile, there probably isn’t any direct competition, but Source Audio Spectrum and Subdecay Prometheus might be alternatives. There aren’t many filter pedals with both envelope and LFO.

6. shanetram

shanetram Supporting Member

I was excited to see the do noise video of the dusk. We have very similar tastes and I love the Source Audio and Zoom CDR patches. I’ve had the dusk for a week too. I love the lfo and the cut/sweep modes but I had a tough time getting the envelope to trigger. I adjusted the trim pot today to ~ 90% and now it seems too sensitive so I’ll back it off a bit. In a perfect world the sensitivity trim pot would be on the outside but otherwise the filter itself sounds great and as Do Noise mentioned there aren’t many pedals with both envelope and LFO. Besides Prometheus Dlx and the Source audio filter, Funkzilla has envelope/lfo but no manual exp sweep option and WMD protostar can lfo/sweep/envelope. The dusk is compact, accessible, and ticks a lot of other boxes. I’m psyched to save a few presets which is an amazing option on an analog filter pedal.