New DR.Z Maz SR. head!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by celestion101, Jun 29, 2006.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

DHL dropped the head off at noon, I gave it a 15 minute test run, and then it was off to the gig. This amp flat rocks! It loves pedals, has chime for miles, and enough clean headroom for most any situation. Plus I love that it maintains a semi clean chime when I hit it with the BB preamp. Even with the gain low, some amps tend to get into classic rock mode too early for me. It also loved the Direct Drive, the OCD, and the Nady (like a Tonebone Classic). Some of those pedals are high gain, and it was just as awesome with those!! The club we played is a 700 seater with the monster PA, sound guys, etc., and the beast kept up with no sweat (even with four 18" subs under the stage!!). The Avatar 2x12 has a Blue and a Gold together, and sounded great with the Maz. The sound guy even had numerous compliments...and usually he doesn't give a damn about anything. I used my /13 head case to prop it all up (just like this pictue) and I was set for a good night. Though I do not use master volumes, this one does work great. For a rocker (my band is country), this would be a great amp to use the MV and a clean boost with. It also has a loop, but again, Im straight out front with the pedalboard. I had a Maz Jr. 2x12 almost 2 years ago, and while it was nice, this smokes it for my needs!:BEER

[​IMG]

2. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

congratulations ....I wonder ....

Although it`s a different beast ...could you give a rough reference as to how loud this amp gets before a "rock"sounds sets in ? I`m looking for a tender grit in the loud notes but an overall clean and harmonically rich sound . Maybe a Grant Green tweed saturation or a Knopfler clean with grit ..
    How loud before the charachter goes over the clean threshold ??????

Deluxe rev loud ? tremolux loud ? vibrolux loud ? super rev loud ?

Of course ...speaker selection and pickup output will play a major factor ...let`s say I`m either low output humbucker or single coil ...1x 12 combo

any impressions will be more than I have now .Looks like a great amp

thanks

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Great looking rig!

I was wondering how the Maz Sr has changed-I believe it has evolved?

4. celestion101

I use teles and a G&L Deluxe (w/ humbuckers that split). With the master wide open, the volume can hit 10 o'clock and then it starts to chime. The more you dig in, the more chime, but it does not lose its overall clean. It's truly a awesome sounding amp. Loud wise, it's up there past a Deluxe or a Super, but you can "get there" before with the master volume if you so choose. Though I do not use the MV myself, it is very useable and doesn't choke the tone.

5. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Thanks ....I `ve heard some complain that this amp is too clean ...NOT a problem for me since I need that headroom on my gig ...Up there with a super or even louder is PLENTY of spank .Thanks for the gas pains ....!!! Enjoy ,Paul

6. celestion101

I had plenty of chime last night, and that's what I was going for. I also use a BB Preamp pedal with the gain way down and the volume up pretty high. This slams the front a little harder and the amps sounded great with it (and all pedals so far!). That was my basic country tone, and then I would switch to other pedals as needed.

7. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I had a red head just like that. Great amp that does rock tones if you open her up.

8. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm curious also, Rick. Are new Maz's different than earlier ones, or did you just mean new to you?? I played one in LA when we were down for NAMM last Jan and loved it. It's still on my brain's back burner......

jon

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

The doctor makes a great amp Rick, enjoy it!

10. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I had two Seniors, a head and a 1x12 combo. Both great amps. Answering an above question, the Senior replaced the MAZ-38. I had a 1x12 combo MAZ-38 that was killer also, and that I wish I still had. The two amps are definitely different, though from the same lineage. I prefer the 38 to the Senior looking back on it, but that's just me.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

THanks Stephen.

jon

12. Frethog

Frethog Member

[​IMG]

Which is a "Maz 38 Studio Lead". There is a Presence knob instead of the Cut knob and there is no effects loop. Also the reverb tank was located differently which creates a little more hum when the reverb is turned up. Not so bad.

Surprisingly loud and clean. I have to use an Airbrake at home, and might still require it for most small clubs.

Takes to pedals like weekends to beer, and I have just recently been experimenting with higher gain pedals. I ran a Klon (boost only)->Cruchbox(maxxed)->Timmy(noon) all at once through a Z's best 2x12. Yikes! :crazyguy

Excells at a versatile range of sounds and styles. (Tool...not so much...)

I may upgrade to Sr. someday, but I dunno why...

"If it ain't broke...."

13. celestion101

Hi Jon,
    He's made a few changes over time which are explained on the "Z" website (on the Maz Sr. page). It sounds like he learned a few things when he built the Maz Jr., and the incorporated some of those things into the Sr. It's truly a killer amp. In fact, I think I may order a Maz Sr. combo to to go along with the head (for those gigs where a combo is easier)!