• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Dr. Z Spotted: "ems"

LPBlues

Tube/Solid-state recto switch on the back.

Will be interesting to see if this is actually a clone of those three circuits or if this is a DR. Z take on those sounds. The clone market is pretty packed and with some very good builders so I'd guess the latter unless he perceived a lot of demand for a Z branded clone from the guys who are Z fanatics. But... if it's not a clone then why so specific on the models?

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
Tube/Solid-state recto switch on the back.

Will be interesting to see if this is actually a clone of those three circuits or if this is a DR. Z take on those sounds. The clone market is pretty packed and with some very good builders so I'd guess the latter unless he perceived a lot of demand for a Z branded clone from the guys who are Z fanatics. But... if it's not a clone then why so specific on the models?
You are right in guessing it's the latter. It's not a clone of any of those models, that description was given in order to make parallels to the variety of tones you can get from the amp. In fact, the tube rectifier that has been used in the current protos is a 5U4. No Marshall ever came with one of these. The point with the EMS is that the various options on it will get you are gamut of classic Marshall sounds but, as you intimated, tweaked to Dr. Z's particular take on it. For example, a JTM-50 would likely have a shared cathode at the first gain stage and a 5AR4 rectifier, but this is not the topology of the EMS. However utilizing the low setting, the touch switch, and the tube rectifier, you will get the warm vibey crunch of a JTM-50, voiced to what Z thinks sounds appealing. Throw some gain on it on the high setting but drop the plate voltage with the tube rectifier and you are getting into a sort of "brown sound" territorty. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

We believe the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts, so the sound and vibe is more important to the Z philosophy than being strict about circuit topology, component choice, etc. The Dr. Z process is to let your ears be the guide, not a particular part or circuit. The sound and the inspiration is most important.

Smashies

Gold Supporting Member
We believe the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts, so the sound and vibe is more important to the Z philosophy than being strict about circuit topology, component choice, etc. The Dr. Z process is to let your ears be the guide, not a particular part or circuit. The sound and the inspiration is most important.
I dig this.

ledzep618

Hmm I will be interested in hearing demos. I wasn't crazy about the Remedy, it was always missing something. Too polite of a Marshall sound. I reallllly liked the SRZ-65, but it was the loudest amp I've ever heard in my life and it sounded bad attenuated.

So if this one can do a more brash Plexi and 800 type tones with a better Master then I am all on board.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome, but a JTM 45 in there would have been nice. Or is a JTM 50 like a JTM 45?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom