New Dr Z - the Jetta (?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hilltopper, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Gold Supporting Member

It's a fantastic amp. I am primarily using it as a pedal platform so the amp is set up with the V,T,M all at noon or slightly higher. Can be bright but not the way Maz's can be bright.

I am using a Crazy Horse, Tiki Drive, Dr. Robery, Benson Preamp and Gain Changer through it and each of the pedals voice stands out.

They were so different sounding that I compared them to the being on the clean channel of my TC-50, which apparently colors the pedals quite a bit. I LOVE the TC-50 but I was surprised how much it colored the od's vs the Jetta.

Haven't even taken advantage of the effects loop on the Jetta yet. Will get around to it this week sometime. Life's just been busy.

2. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Might be hard to answer but what are the cleans like? Any amps that sound similar? Just trying to get a sense of what I would be in for. I always like to start with inspiring cleans!

3. communarchy

communarchy Supporting Member

All the clean clips we have gathered together, with a variety of guitars:

big-ez likes this.
  4. robyogi

robyogi Ampaholic Silver Supporting Member

Smacky the Frog likes this.
  5. mikey69

mikey69 Member

but will the Jetta pass the emissions tests?

Halsey likes this.
  6. robyogi

Well, I found one locally and went to check it out in person. Ended up bringing it home. Really nice amp that has some of that Ampeg vibe to it (I played a vintage V2 head about a week ago). Obviously not the same as a vintage Ampeg, but good in its own right. Feels more relaxed to me than a number of other Zs I have played and owned...not as "firm" for lack of a better term. Is on the darker side IMO. Can get warm cleans and Stones-y dirt. Not a high gain amp by any means, but really does take dirt pedals very well - better than any amp I've owned. So far I'm liking it opened up with an attenuator and using the guitar's controls to change the level of dirt and tone. A lot of bang for the buck.

7. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Gold Supporting Member

Exactly the same feelings I have and also like running it wide open with an attenuators and a nice setup of dirt pedals.

communarchy likes this.
  8. communarchy

Interesting you would say this! We brought a few people to play with the Jetta, and one person was interested in buying a Ghia. After playing both he was excited about the Jetta because it was much more firm and snappy than the Ghia. I can see it be less firm than something like a Z-LUX or MAZ 38 though. I guess it goes to show we have something to offer everyone.

9. robyogi

Well, my first Z was a Mazerati, which always seemed very firm to me, like it sounded the note almost before I played it :D. Going from memory, I thought the Ghia I had was firmer than the Jetta...but, maybe I'm just being fooled by what I perceive to be a fatter, rounder tone of the Jetta. The others I was thinking of were a Maz 38 and a Z28. BTW, I do not mean firm in a negative way, as it all depends on what the player wants/likes/needs.

What I like best about the Jetta is how warm yet detailed it is. Usually warmer amps seem to lose the clarity and detail a bit but with the Jetta all the little details still pop. I noticed that same trait in the vintage Ampeg I recently played.

10. communarchy

Right, I would say the Mazerati is the definition of fast and firm. I do agree with you, the Jetta is rounder, and it also is definitely warmer than a Mazerati. It sits right in the middle between dark and bright, which I think makes it suited for almost any guitar you can put into it.

11. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

I’ve been looking at the Jetta over the last few days now. What is the headroom like? I like a lot of clean headroom and then like to add an overdrive when taking solos etc. Would you say it leans on the Fender or Marshall side of things?

12. bassman00

bassman00 Silver Supporting Member

The Jetta sounds like it could be a perfect compliment to my Cure in a wet/dry setup. Might just push me over the edge into that rabbit hole...

13. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I would love to know this as well as most demos showcase the overdriven tones, which I might add are insanely good. Peach Guitars posted a very short introduction video of the Jetta and with a tele it sounded amazing. I am definitely getting one once they hit Long & Mcquade.

14. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Anyone else get a chance to use one yet? I saw a post a couple of weeks ago about a bunch being shipped to Long & Mcquade here in Canada but they are still not up on the website. Other Canadian dealers have some in stock but they are not close by. Would love to give this a spin.

15. ddog

ddog Supporting Member

Got one coming in next week..its been said on z web (pro boards) site that this this is new ghia...very hefty 30 watts as well...have a lot of experience with g12h so that's going to be a shoe in.

(wanted in on intro price,theyll be going up soon!)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  16. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

I picked one up from CME a couple weeks ago. Used it a jam night and then took it to a gig the following week. Great sounding amp, not too heavy, plenty of power. I found myself cranking the volume up almost all the way and adjusting the master as needed for the room. I tend to like a little more gain but it sounds really good! As mentioned in another thread, this could be the perfect amp for a two amp rig. I'm going to play around a little with some overdrives to push it a little more. I used the Soul Food and it sounded good but I want to try my Direct Drive.

aaronblues likes this.
  17. belair

belair Member

The master is said to be very good on this amp. Anybody know if it’s a PPIMV?

18. DR.Z

DR.Z Gold Supporting Member

Yes it is a Post Phase Inverter Master Volume ( i.e. PPIMV ).

bassman00 likes this.
  19. bassman00

bassman00 Silver Supporting Member

That's what it sounded like to me in the demo. Mine should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to fire it up.

20. Viper 900

Viper 900 Member

Tried one, it’s not a patch on the cure.