New dream pop song: rush job in new office studio

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by guitarslinger21, Nov 5, 2018.

1. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

EDIT AGAIN: Frank DeSalvo at the Warmoth Forum volunteered to master it for me.

I think it sounds killer. Here it is!

EDIT: I was able to add bass with my little Korg Volca FM. I think it sounds killer. I would love to master this track, but my computer freezes up with my better plugins. Time to get a new work computer. :lol:

SO, with the wife working from home, and my 2 year old running around, I don't get to record at home much anymore. I decided to set up a satellite studio at the office. Just a Shure sm7b into focusrite 2i2 into my work computer with reaper running. No outboard compressors or preamps. I threw this together over a couple of stray hours over 2 days with a guitar and a drum machine. I"m stoked about recording again, however, my work computer is having lots of trouble with some of my plugins. Oh well. I just have to keep it simple right now. Enjoy!

BTW, rig was:
    warmoth swamp ash tele custom with a jess loureiro wrhb and a wilde L48TL.
    Keeley 2 knob comp
    Walrus 385 OD
    Catalinbread adineko oil can delay
    Keeley 30ms for chorus and verb
    Mr black supermoon MS
    Fender champion 600
    pacific 1x12 cube. EV force 12

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. slooky

slooky Member

I like it! A remake would make this sound terrific!

3. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Thanks, dude! It was definitely a rush job. 5 tracks. One take each. I missed my outboard gear, and my work comp couldn’t handle the plugins. I’m still thinking about double tracking the vocals with stacked octaves, or even transposing it.

4. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

So, I added bass to the track with my little Korg Volka FM. This thing is awesome. I'm glad I'm recording with limitations right now, because it lets me explore more possibilities in my gear. The OP was updated with the new link as well.

5. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

EDIT AGAIN: Frank DeSalvo at the Warmoth Forum volunteered to master it for me.

I think it sounds killer. Here it is!

slooky likes this.
  6. Imran5000

Imran5000 Member

This is awesome really atmospheric! You can always get a plugin like Melodyne with which you can drag the vocal lines up or down to create harmonies without having to sing twice. Plus that way possibilities open up that you might not have thought of, check it out on Youtube

7. Fremen Warrior

Fremen Warrior Member

Love the song, very melancholic mood... Great Deep voice mate, i usually like the vocals not too loud in the mix in dreampop but sound great anyway.

PS... Your champ 600 sound lot better than mine, any mods?

8. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Thanks a lot, man!

Champ 600 = bone stock, BUT........NOS 6V6 of some sort. RCA? GE?
    The trick is the external cab. The EV Force 12 just rules. So does the SM7B for that matter. Also, I really liked the sound of the Keeley 2 knob comp on this recording. I bought it used, and the trims were all over the place. I messed with them, and now I can't get the same sound. :lol:

9. Fremen Warrior

Fremen Warrior Member

Cool, i have JJ 6v6 and and old GE 12ax7 in mine, and a switch for a little mid boost... Maybe is time for an external cab as you said.

I always have an eye on your tunes and pedals, loved every clip you posted... Im having problems finding good settings on my rig, maybe one day you could give me some advices; your tone is stunning :)

10. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Dude, I’m really flattered. That’s one of the nicest compliments I’ve ever received. Ask away, man. What kind of gear are you working with?

11. Fremen Warrior

Fremen Warrior Member

Dont worry, ill torture you with tons of questions by PM as soon as i have a little time :D

12. JessAnder91

JessAnder91 Member

Nice spacey gloomy vibe!

13. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Thanks!!!

JessAnder91 likes this.