• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

New Dunlop Echoplex

TomVanDeven

Meh.

Why would they even try when the Belle Epoch is out? It sounds pretty amazing. I guess we'll have to see how it stacks up.

phazersonstun

Interested.
About why they would even try ......
Makes sense to me. The majority of the pedals / brands we discuss on a daily basis on TGP would get a "what the hell is that?" from most of my musical buds.
They know who Dunlop is.

Last

Mentioned @ 12:30 he refers to it as a line level boost/top boost.

Not an echo but part of the pre-amp section I suppose.

Crimson Queen

Silver Supporting Member
I saw that. He says it's a top boost prototype, which could be a trebble booster. I don't see a reason to infer more out of it.

chrisross

It's in the description of the pedalboard if you scroll down, but its not on the board in the pictures or in the video.

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
Meh.

Why would they even try when the Belle Epoch is out? It sounds pretty amazing. I guess we'll have to see how it stacks up.

Yeah, can't imagine why they'd even try, especially when they can use the name "Echoplex" on theirs. :rolleyes:

Described as a boost, not an echo/delay pedal, the video.

Last edited:

Bartimaeus

Duffy’s guitar signal goes through a Line 6 G90 wireless to a switchless Jim Dunlop 95Q wah, a Boss TU-3 tuner and NS-2 Noise Suppressor, a custom boost built by Dunlop’s Scott Uchida, a Boss BF-2 flanger, a Boss DM-2 analog delay, an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer, a Lovepedal Kalamazoo, a Whirlwind the Bomb boost, two Boss DD-3 digital delays, and a prototype Dunlop Echoplex EP101 (which will debut at Winter NAMM 2014). His pedalboard also holds a Morley George Lynch Tripler amp-switcher.

It doesn't seem like a competitor against the Belle Epoch, but rather the EP Booster. Should sell great with most people, especially if it's priced like the MicroAmp. Most people will probably go for the Dunlop even if the EP Booster is right next to it, since (A) it's cheaper and (B), as mentioned by Six String Zombie, it'll say "Echoplex" on it.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
HM, according to the internet-legel-folks, Dunlop was granted a first extension on their EchoPlex trademark on 7/25/2013. (1) An applicant is (apparently) granted up to 5 extensions giving them upto 36 total months to use obtain a Statement of Use.(2)

Dunlop's stated Goods and Services (to obtain the Extension) were for " portable echo-chamber devices for use with voice or musical instruments for creating echo" , and not a front end pre-amp. (1)

a) I don't expect the Echoplex name to be placed on the pre-amp box because it would not fulfill the stated "Goods and Services"....that might encourage legal challenge (if someone had deep enough pickets) claiming Dunlop had not fulfilled it's stated goal.

b) Dunlop has about 2 1/2 years to come out with an echo device, or they could lose their TM when the extension run out ... I guess ... I dunno ... I guess that's what happens ...
I'm not a barrister. I just look things up on legal-zoom.

Refs:
(1) http://www.trademarkia.com/echoplex-85680935.html
(2) http://www.legalzoom.com/tm-statement-of-use-extension-faq/1-extension-limit.html

Even if it isn't a delay, i think it's hilarious that all the catalinbread fanboys make an arrogant presumption like "why would dunlop even bother" to make an echoplex just cause catalinbread did.

As if Dunlop couldn't make one just as good or better as catalinbread.
lol.
Dunlop's only been making pedals for like 20 years or so.

There's this implication that since Dunlop is this big giant company that they can't compete sonically with their boutique "competitors".

It's silly and i guess i'm not surprised since there is a heavy "boutique is better" bias here on TGP.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Even if it isn't a delay, i think it's hilarious that all the catalinbread fanboys make an arrogant presumption like "why would dunlop even bother" to make an echoplex just cause catalinbread did.

As if Dunlop couldn't make one just as good or better as catalinbread.
lol.
Dunlop's only been making pedals for like 20 years or so.

There's this implication that since Dunlop is this big giant company that they can't compete sonically with their boutique "competitors".

It's silly and i guess i'm not surprised since there is a heavy "boutique is better" bias here on TGP.

hey, whoa, wtf, slow down there buckaroo...
We all get to play "what if" around here. It's in the nature of an internet forum. We can all agree to disagree. But I said absolutely NOTHING about Dunlop's engineering prowess or ability to deliver.. Not one single word. Period.

I'm just bringing up some of the legal issues that surround the use of a trademarked name. Nothing else. If you've got a gripe with someone here, please quote the source and gripe away... we're all big boys and girls and can we can defend ourselves but only if you identify who you are talking about ... Right now, it reads like you've lumped about 2-3 posts together to come up with your statement. Posting it right after mine makes me feel like I'm your target and, well... your turn.

tremolo3

Can't wait to try it!

It's indeed funny :rotflmao
Lot of fanboyism for booteek stuff nowadays.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom