New Ecstasy Classic...!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TNJ, Apr 26, 2008.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Got home from Makenmusic in Chicago a little while ago...with this beauty in tow. It had been almost a year and a half since I walked through Teddy's/Shane's door on Hubbard Ave. I took a friend with me who is a really good keyboardist and good guitarist. He had never been to Maken before...and his reaction :eek: was priceless! :D
    Needless to say, good time had by all. TGP's own Brent S., local Chicago shredmeister, met us there shortly after we arrived.
    I have been GAS'ing for an Ecstasy for a good long while...ever since a local pal let me play his at a studio gig a few years back. The blue channel lead tones with my humbucker guitar at the time were flooring me. I hadnt been much enamored of the cleans of this amp, until recently. I picked up a tip from a few TGP'ers (and a few Bogner Forumites) that there were some settings in the green channel of the Ecstasy that would bring out alot of Fender BF goodness. That was all it took.
    I took my '04 R7 Goldie with Wolfetone Marshallheads, and plugged into the Classic head that Shane already had set up. The head ran into a closed back, oversized, Bogner 212 with V30's.
    I have an open back 212 Bogner cab at home, and thought this would be the closest I would get to my home/gig setup.
    Well...I plugged in, set the cleans where I wanted them...and low and behold...Fender beauty in gobs. !!11!!
    Really nice shimmer and warmth when playing on the neck pickup alone.
    Both pups on gave me some powerful cleans with punch and detail.
    No effects were used, and the amp sounded PHAT. I consider that a very good sign.
    Next up the blue channel...liquidy goodness on the bridge of the Lester, just like I remembered. But I knew that was a no brainer. The other big surprise for me was how nicely voiced the red channel was! I actually liked that channel as well as the famed blue channel...! My pal Brent also brought along a couple of his Tylers...namely his black and blue schmear Mongoose...that guitar sounded so good through this rig (and in his capable hands) it was totally ridiculous!
    That was it, I'd heard enough...I walked out to the main room, talked with Teddy about a trade/$$ deal...signed the papers (old man!) and out the door we went.
    Lunch followed at the Twisted Spoke (thank for the rec, Brent), and home at last.

Whew!
    What a saturday it's been...tomorrow is rehearsal and next week the gig.

More to follow,

S.
    j

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Man, I loved my Ecstasy Classic. You go man!!!!!!!!!

3. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Congratulations!

Yeah,the red channel on the Classic is much more toneful and less compressed than on the 101B ... I use it as much as the blue channel, but on my old 101Bs I would almost exclusively live on the blue channel. Great cleans too ... I dig these amps ....

:bow Bogner

4. jcj

jcj Member

Congrat's! I picked up a 101b about two months ago, and I'm regularly amazed by how great that blue channel sounds!

Great purchase, enjoy!

5. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Congrats, I used to own a Classic but I went back to a 101B......they are different enough that I'd love to get a classic too :NUTS

Both are superior amps.

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

Congrats and welcome to the club I've been enjoying my Classic for years now.

7. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

One of my favorite all-time amps. The best channel switcher made, IMHO. I wish I still had mine.

8. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Steve

Cool. I have to say, I've been thinking of moving to this same amp. I love my low watt stuff, esp the London 65, but I get to play fairly loud most shows, and miss the big cleans.

Lets hear how it sounds at stage volume. Do you get to open it up some?

Luke

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

So when is it coming to the hangar??

11. TNJ

Thanks for the comments, everyone.
    I took this beauty to rehearsal today...and it sounded HUGE! And the TC NOVA System sounded so good with this rig too!
    It's gonna take a bit of time to get it tweaked for my Lester and my PRS Cu22...this amp has so much horsepower it's unreal.
    I'm gonna be spending alot of time dialling it all in. This amp is here to stay...I really love every channel for what it does. And single coil or humbucker, it just doesnt matter. Bogner goodness in every tone!

Luke, I have opened it up, and will continue to do so at home, and on the gig. I have a small sheet of plexiglas that fits in front of the cab, and with the mic into the P.A., hitting the sweet spot at a louder volume wont be a problem. I tried half power tonite...and also got the NOVA System into the loop. After a little tweakage, I have the PRS sounding so good clean, I cant believe it! The cleans on this Classic are so chimey and crystalline! This rig is ready to gig.

Brian...it comes to the hangar whenever we can order a pizza and do a lunch jam! Let me know your schedule!

S.
    j

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I've always wanted to try one of those.

13. brent

brent Member

I can attest to the fact that it did indeed sound awesome

and that goldtop is one of the best LP's I've played

Glad the 'straunt worked

Hopefully we can do some jamming over the summer with a full band

14. TNJ

Anytime, Brent...

Just bring that 'goose!

:cool:

S.
    j

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Cool stuff Jato. Keep kickin' the assess and takin' the names. :D

16. TNJ

Well,
    A little update on the Classic.
    It's official, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Ecstasy. I gigged out this past weekend (fri/sat) at a small club north of town. The stage was large enough to accomodate the 212 cab, so I took the Ecstasy out.
    The soundman had a mic on the cab, and I had the power down on the amp to keep from blowing the room up. :)
    I mostly used my trusty 'Purple Beast' PRS Custom 22, with the '04 R7 as backup. NOVA system into the loop, and a Rocktron Banshee into the front (note NO OD/DIST pedals used...believe me, none needed). We do classic rock stuff (Aerosmith/Journey/Boston/George Thorogood/ZZ Top/etc.), and this amp MORE than delivered! I was in love with my tones all night long. The soundman came up halfway through the 1st night and said: "Man...where in the sam hill did you get THAT amp???".
    Even our finicky bass player, who was only a fan of my Shiva before, said: "Good Gawd, that amp sounds so sweet! I NEVER thought you'd ever top that Shiva for this gig...but you did.". I have to agree. Not that I'm losing the Shiva...for smaller clubs/rehearsal, it's perfect as well. But the Ecstasy is just SO much more to my taste, and the cleans are right on par with the Shiva. We have a couple of Festivals coming up, as well as a larger club gig in 2 weeks in St.Joe Michigan.
    Guess which amp is on deck? ;)

LOVE the Ecstasy!!!!
    S.
    j

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I love the cleans on the Shiva, but I hate the (IMO) congested, fizzy tone of the Shiva's drive channel. Is there any chance I would like an Ecstasy?

18. Lution

Lution Member

A BIG YES!

I owned a 6L6 Shiva before I bought my Ecstasy 101B. Got a chance to A/B them together. The Clean channel of the XTC was not far behind the Shiva. The Blue and Red channels just knocked the doors off the Shiva's OD channel. Much more smooth!

19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

20. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member