New Eddie Van Halen Wolfgang guitar from Fender!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by davidos, Nov 14, 2008.

1. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

its funny that EVH still has weight and can make companies fall over him. Kudos for that doped up mush for brains. He must still have some business sense to stiff everyone he deals with.

I've owned a few of his EVH guitars. Nothing special, though fun to play with. I did like the maple necks, very easy to play.

2. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

Yeah, I played one when they first came out. I know of some still for sale. I did like the lint in the pickup pocket.

25K, haha, thats the best part of this guitar.

Just like crude oil, the speculators will be dumping all these "signature" guitars from Gibson and Fender alike.

3. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

You can do that when you own the copyrights/patents etc they way EVH does. I don't care who you are, you aren't taking a design owned by another maker with you if they own it.

4. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Not a fender. Its an EVH brand Guitar. Fender just happens to be the Manufacturer for EVH.

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

From what I read at the time that meant the entire run had been sold to the dealers, not that the dealers had actually sold them to customers.

6. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

What was the original EB EVH guitar priced at? $1600?
    I think the Peavey Wolfgang Standard was around the same price. If Fender can keep it there, or a little under, it will sell. If the 5150 III was priced less (say, $1600), and you could actually find one in a store, it would probably sell.
    If he had gone from EB to Fender to do the Wolfgang originally, it would have sold a lot more; despite what the gigging musicians say about Peavey gear (and I happen to like most of their stuff), there are still a lot of people turned off by the Peavey name.
    I had one of the Wolfgang Specials (veneer quilt top) and it was, ehh. I played a Standard in GC sometime later and really liked it. I didn't have the dough for it, but it was much better feeling. I hope the Fender Wolfgang is the same way.
    I like hearing about his rather than....yet....another.......Strat........

7. drod1985

drod1985 Member

Your veener quilt top special was the cheap-o made in korea version of the guitar. The MIA ones blow them away.

8. ned911

ned911 Member

The local GC has 2 5153's.

I play my Wolfie Special every day and gig with it exclusively, also have a EBMM Axis Sport and SS. Haven't gotten any particulars on the new model but you can find info on the others at www.wolfgangregistry.com

9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

No doubt, he's cashing in, and that's fine.

At least he's not subtle about it, and he must assume everyone's as stupid as hell, because everyone of these incarnations is what he really had in mind when he began his quest.

10. frisco kid

frisco kid Member

Why would anyone begrudge the man cashing in on his major contribution to guitar playing? Had he died after the first couple of albums, we'd have his face engraved right next to Jimi, Stevie and Randy on the guitar version of Mount Rushmore. Yes, he's looked at as a shell of what he once was...a possible fate for the guys mentioned before had they lived. But don't forget he literally changed the guitar landscape when he arrived on the scene...technique wise (tapping), gear wise (Floyd Rose) and tonewise (Brown sound...name another guitarist of late who has a universally recognized name for their unique tone?). Arguably, after Jimi, no one's had a bigger impact on electric guitar than Eddie. If he wants to market himself to death and milk his brand, he's got a license to kill as far as I'm concerned. I won't buy anything, but he's sure earned the right.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  11. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

How many Strats and Les Pauls have Fender and Gibson made over the years? Doesn't seem to be effecting them does it? They just keep on pumping them out.

12. Michael T

Michael T Member

Good luck to him. I havent liked any of his signature guitars going all the way back to the Ernie Ball guitar. But they have all seemed to sell quite well....they have all been well made instruments.

13. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I would guess that up to 70% of all guitars sold are to people who don't gig.

14. DavidE

DavidE Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, it's a........ wait for it......

[​IMG]

15. megatonic

megatonic Silver Supporting Member

At least it doesn't have a Floyd!

16. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

I gigged a wolfgang for a bit. It was a cool guitar actually.

The pickups were a little overboard for me though. I think I was still searching for my tone a bit. I prefered the Rosewood Axis SS I had to the wolfie though.

17. fyrwyr

fyrwyr Member

I would like to try one just to see, I have a well-off client who is a massive EVH fan and is thinking of getting one, so I guess I will probably get to try one soon;)

I like the headstock;)

18. DavidE

DavidE Member

Exactly! The only reason I gave it a shot. It's actually a very nice guitar. The 5 way switch gives a great variety of tones and the hipshot trem works pretty well. Ultimately though, I prefer a bigger neck (not that this one is that small, it's just not quite right for me). I leave it at my singer's house for band practice.

19. tonedog67

tonedog67 Member

[​IMG]
    The headstock is still some what the same,they just took the Peavey design and cut out the nonpainted section on the top....ugly as hell either way...GEEZ Eddie, how about stop slapping your name on the latest rehash of the same old guitars and amps and actually put out some new music!!!

20. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

hey how do you guys like the headstock? I think it rawks!

:hide