New Edirol R09-HR

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by KazJY, Jun 17, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

2. david henman

david henman Member

...looks overly complex, but i love the fact that it is totally self-contained, including the all important preview speaker.

affordable?

-dh

3. KazJY

KazJY Member

$399 - comes with an "improved" case and a stand.. and is bundled with Cakewalk editing software

4. david henman

david henman Member

....yikes!

the high end, brand name cassette recorders i use cost me $10 each at local pawn shops.

i don't have a computer, so the editing software wouldn't be of much use to me.

eventually, some enterprising manager will make something simple AND affordable for us low tech guys.

-dh

5. KazJY

KazJY Member

I wish it were cheaper too. Been looking at the Zoom H2 ($199 as well). I still use cassettes from time to time too, so more power to ya.

Looks like we have our own chat window here. haha.

6. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I just picked up the Zoom H2 today....totally cool....

7. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Too bad there's still no way to connect external microphones. That would have made it much more useful to me.

8. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up an R09-HR.

I'd been looking at more feature laden units like the ZoomH4 and Tascam but in the end I decided I just wanted a simple portable recorder. I figure for anything requiring true Multi-track recording I'd rather use my Mbox/Laptop set-up.

The Edirol is more expensive so it may seem a bit like you're paying more for less but it has very solid build quality and the relative lack of features makes operation very simple. I actually find the menu system very easy.

I haven't directly compared it sonically to either the Tascam or the Zoom but on recording forums the word is that it slightly edges out those two units used as a mobile recorder with in-built mics.

I've used it for quick songwriting Jams with band mates. It's been easy to download files onto my Mac and play things back through iTunes.

Another thing I've done is record my Pedal Steel lessons and import the files in Protools for editing down to the essentials. That's been invaluable in my struggle to learn a new instrument.

9. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

You can connect an external mic to the R09-HR including a stereo one although not with XLR's like the Zoom (price you pay for compactness).

It also has a line in.

As others have pointed out it also has a preview speaker. Pretty handy.

10. JxxWoo

JxxWoo Member

Gonna revive this thread real quick here.

Can anyone who has used this unit tell me how it performs in loud situations? I plan on using this to record band rehearsals and shows. The rehearsals are more what I'm worried about as they're usually very loud and in more confined spaces.

Does the mic to pretty well in capturing the bass? My DVR is so directional that it only captures bass if the unit is in front of the bass rig or kick drum.

Thanks.

11. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

I got one for Christmas and it is extremely easy to use and handy. It does record bass well... if fact overly so in my opinion. I have gotten a few really good recordings that I want to save and burn to CD, but the eq us skewed to the bass side pretty heavily. The unit comes with Cakewalk editing software, but it is as basic and you can possibly get. the recorder has a "low end" cut, but I did not find or try this feature until after my recordings were made.

As for recording loud volumes, it has a hi and low sensitivity switch for input, as well as an adjustable +/- for input and it was worked great for me in loud band settings and even at concert volumes.

For me, no complaints other than the bass heaviness to it- I probably need to learn to use this unit better in order to control it.