New Effect Day: Retro Mechanical Labs x 3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ruiner, May 10, 2016.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

So this is probably one of the coolest new effects day i've had for multiple reasons.

A long time ago i purchased the Retro Mechanical Labs Electron Fuzz Custom and loved it. I went to his website and saw all the amazing looking and sounding work John was doing. I had to have more.

So I ordered three of his stellar wooden box effects!

The first one to arrive is the Jekyll and Hyde “JnH” Dual ladder filter distortion box.

What is it? From his site:

"100% analog. One transistor ladder filter. One diode ladder filter. Both with pre and post overdrives, slow drifting LFOs and additional signal clipping for each filter. Dual filter version can be run as dual mono or mono to stereo."

There's not a lot of demos of this online. I'll post some clips when i get a chance to play with it. It just arrived and first of all the packaging is awesome! What care and attention to detail. Then the box itself is just absolutely beautiful.

When i get home i'm going to try it on guitar, drums, bass and synths and see what happens!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best part is I still have two more effects coming from him soon! I'll add those to this thread as they come in for anyone interested.

I'm going to see what it does to guitar but there's not guitar demos anywhere for it at this point. So to show you what it does, here's a sample of what it does to drums and what it does to synths:

2. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Badass. I'm a little confused by the controls, but it looks like it could be used as a sort of stereo crossover with independent LFOs and distortion? Looks awesome.

3. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

I love RML stuff so much. Gorgeous as ****.
    Dude shared some stuff on instagram that he whipped up some stuff for Aaron Turner the other day, including one of these. Too cool.

Ruiner likes this.
  4. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

I'm not certain about
    Here's the explanation of the controls:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kor

kor Member

His stuff is a work of art! I've thought about one of these but they aren't cheap and like you said, there aren't a many demos of it. Looking forward to any clips you might be able to post.

6. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

I also have a 432k coming which is geared more towards guitar... maybe not geared towards it but definitely more of a pedal (has a footswitch) where the JnH isn't meant for guitar it seems...... though i'll be using it with it! :D

Here's a great demo of the 432k

ellsworthman and kor like this.
  7. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

The 432K just arrived!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The 432k Distortion box is all about signal routing. One distortion circuit with an active hybrid diode/transistor ladder filter (with resonant feedback) for tone control. Another with a clean pass signal. Both signals are merged together and “glued” through a transistor drive and op amp style fuzz. A feedback noise circuit is added in for fun. Also equipped with CV in for filter control. ***Use a CV pedal to control the filter.

This model has an additional mod that switches the distortion fuzz from a sharp more mid range silicon fuzz to a softer germanium fuzz.
    Things I enjoy about this pedal:

[​IMG]

• Hyper Fuzz tone
      • Hybrid Diode/Transistor ladder filter.
      • Enhanced resonant feedback for more expressive tones
      • Clean pass lets you bring a quality signal back into the compressed distortion
      • Op Amp style fuzz at end of signal chain. Dial in harsh tones and smooth them out.
      • Great for guitars and keyboards
      • CV filter control. Use CV in to control filter with modular gear, synth or CV pedal.
      • Low cut toggle for guitar use.
      • True Bypass
    • Knob controls:

Distortion: Volume of Distortion
    Filter: Filter Frequency
    Resonance: Active resonant feedback
    Clean: Clean signal
    Low Cut: low end roll off
    Transistor: Transistor gain/drive
    Op Amp: Op Amp Fuzz
    Output: Volume"