1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New EHX Nano Small Stone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

This looks cool, small and true bypass. Anyone tried it yet? Price?

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I dont know about the Small Stone but Jack Orman posted today on HCFX that the LPB isnt true bypass. Its wired with a 3DPT switch but its not hooked up right for TB.

3. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

In typical EH quality control tradition?

4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Interestingly, the new Nano LPB is not what I would call true bypass!

Yes, it has a 3PDT switch that handles the LED separately, but there are two ferrite beads and two capacitors left in the signal path when it is bypassed. This leaves a possibility that the pedal could interact with other pedals or an amp even when it is off.

This must be a mistake in layout (there are some others too), or a limitation of using a single layer board (for lower cost).

regards, Jack

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Another thing about the LPB... in typical EH fashion, the pcb is marked for a 2N5088 transistor but the device in place seems to be a BC550 (or maybe BC559 as part of the number is missing and hard to read). [​IMG]

regards, Jack

6. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Those are the quotes from Jack Orman on HCFX.

7. JesseJerk

JesseJerk Member

It also cost 55 bucks...what do you expect?

8. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I'm expecting one in the mail on thursday. I'll give a report then.

9. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I know that dano and behringer can produce uniform, consitent pedals for well under that amount.

It's a crap shoot with EH. QC is not a EH priority or reputation.

I know from experience (and, yeah, perhaps I can't get that taste out of my mouth, sorry.) I have several EH pedals, some work, some problematic (notably a DMM with absolutely no dealer/manufacturer support) and you are on your own if you get a problem child.

10. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

Got one ealy this week from Musictoyz; great, typically Small Stone, vintage swirl - with the color switch down is reminiscent of my old orange Ross, which is not too deep but has a broad sweep, and with the color switch up, distorts nicely and accentuates the sweep, which sounds like a dirter Systech Phase Shifter. I think it's TB but I haven't examined the switch too closely - it does have PCB mounted jacks, but that's to be expected for the price. To my surprise, it does not appear to have to have the volume drop problem - or at least if it does, I haven't noticed it yet.

Definately a keeper, allowing me to retire my venerable MXR from the board, that, IMHO, compares favorably well with the larger USA Small Stone.
    cheers!

11. fuzzz boxx

fuzzz boxx Member

is the circuit authentic? these nano effects look worthwhile for the price.

12. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

If a boutique guy working in his garage can make a clean boost for $99 dollars and afford to make it sound good and be TB then EHX should be able to do the same for $55. I'm going to get one anyway, like you said they're $55 but why waste the money putting in a 3DPT and making them out to be TB when they aren't.

13. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

I have a Nano SS and mine has the volume drop? what's up w/ that? did I get a faulty one? it sounds wonderful and very close to my 2 vintage SS's, but the volume dip is a BIG drag! any thoughts would be great...

14. laadeeda

laadeeda Member

Let mention the fact that they are probably done with surface mount electronics, so that they cannot be modified for the volume drop, or anything else (a la the new MXR EVH phase 90)

15. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

thanks for the post laadeeda,
    looks like I'll just have to sell it and get my vintage one's to Analogman to fix 'em right?! was really hoping that EH would have fixed that problem by now?!!!

16. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

FWIW - I had the new Nano SS and a mid-70's one - the Nano is close, but sounded just a touch thinner to my ears. Definitely a great value for the $$, but not an exact replica of a vintage SS. It might not be a TB, but it is not a tone-sucker.

Also, I have no problem with volume drop with either pedal. Perhaps the volume drop problem has something to do with the tone someone is trying to achieve and how the Phasing interacts with that tone??? Just a thought...

Coldacre likes this.
  17. LunarSF

LunarSF Member

Perhaps the volume drop problem has something to do with the tone someone is trying to achieve and how the Phasing interacts with that tone??? Just a thought...

...Or what you have running before/after it in your efx chain...try it by itself, with battery and without (power supply).