new EHX pedal- the B9 Organ Machine

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NHBluesMan, May 28, 2014.

1. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Not the POG/POG2. The HOG/HOG2.

The POG/POG2 is a stripped down version of the HOG/HOG2, and only has the sliders which correspond to octaves. It sounds organ-, but not fully like the venerable Hammond B3.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The HOG/HOG2 has most of the sliders for the rest of the Hammond B3 tonewheel organ harmonics.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And it's the HOG/HOG2 which really sounds like the iconic Hammond B3 organ songs and sounds mentioned in the Facebook posting.

Here's the sounds which you'll never hear from the POG/POG2/MicroPOG, and definitely not from the versions from other companies.

So the new box has the various HOG/HOG2 slider settings and B3 registrations (slider settings), but with all those sets of slider positions for any given iconic B3 sounds as as presets, each available at a click of a knob position. Since no physical slider adjustment or even knowledge is needed, it's easy to use by the player.

It will be just like the difference between the simple keyboard modules which let you get your hands on every slider and control. and those simple ones which are just B3 presets..

So this...

[​IMG][​IMG]

...is to this...

[​IMG]

...as this...

[​IMG]

is to this.

[​IMG]

I imagine that the HOG and HOG2 are pretty intimidating if you don't understand how a Hammond organ works, so this is a very smart move on their part. No one else has the full Hammond-in-a-Box unit like the HOG/HOG2.

Brilliant.

I can only hope that those who don't want to know what a Hammond registration is will then start dumping their HOGs and HOG2s on the Emporium, so I can pick up a backup cheap....

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

If I had a keyboard I would buy one, but I only have guitars.

3. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Not sure if joking...

...but in case you aren't, have you ever tried the guitar through at least a decent Leslie sim? Because it is wicked fun.

4. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I imagine it will sound like the HOG/HOG2, right? That should give you an idea of what the new pedal will sound like.

Here's a vid using some overdrive and a chorus pedal.

And here's one with a rotary pedal. (Unfortunately, the player doesn't know that an organ can't bend notes.)

I've used a small Casio keyboard with the HOG, just using a simple organ sound on the Casio, and it sounds amazing. This isn't a keyboard, but will give an idea of the pure sound of these things, before you toss on any drive or Leslie emulators. Hall reverb really puts into that church space.

5. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

Would be interested in abusing it if it sounds nice :)

6. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

I own all 3 POGs & have always admired the HOG, but I felt it was too big & expensive for my needs/tastes. This lil guy looks VERY PROMISING!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

nooooooot quite... the POG is polyphonic octaves, the HOG is harmonic octaves- very different sounds and different beasts altogether, at least to my understanding

8. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

i'm also loving the organ out/dry out settings- i bet running this in stereo would sound sick. Combined with a Super Ego or Freeze on the Organ channel would allow for some pretty fun sounds as well

9. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

You are completely wrong about this. Does your understanding come from actually using both?

The HOG has every setting of the POG2 except the built-in preset selection and the upper octave detune.

All of the octave sliders from the POG/POG2 are on the HOG/HOG2 are just a subset of the full HOG/HOG2 set. The HOG has two more octaves (+3 and +4). The complete set of the HOG/HOG2 sliders are nearly the same as the drawbars on a Hammond B3.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The POG2 combines certain elements which have multiple controls on the HOG, like the attack/decay being reduced to one slider, the separate controls for dry signal *and* affected dry signal being put into a button push, and so on.

I own both the POG2 and the HOG. If you're having difficulty getting the POG/POG2 sounds out of your HOG/HOG2, send me a PM and I'll help you with settings.

10. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

The POG definitely predates the HOG, so I would say the HOG is like a more full-featured POG minus the detune feature. I'm pretty sure it's based on the same technology but adds a lot more intervals which, as stated previously, are actually MEANT to mirror the sliders on a B3.

So I would think this pedal must be based on the same tech. I am hoping the tracking is a bit better, though. The HOG definitely has that chirping tracking issue going on and sounds quite "lo fi".

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I would hope the leslie effect would be built-in.

12. TomVanDeven

TomVanDeven Member

It won't be. And even if it was, people would complain about it and condemn the pedal because of it. EHX would be smart to leave rotary sounds out of it.

13. Yonderwanderer

Yonderwanderer Member

I sort of agree, but at the same time, I think if they're doing a proper organ pedal, you have to incorporate some degree of somewhat tweakable rotary into it. Will it be as tweakable as a Neo Vent, of course not, but I'd be surprised if they released it without any rotary effect built in.

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I guess I'm in the minority then. I'm not interested in this if it doesn't have the rotary sound built in.

15. Mothman

Mothman Member

I can't imagine the point of a Hammond emulator WITHOUT rotary, frankly. I'll be really interested in checking this out. Love to do "keyboard" washes with my Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus on a fast rate and a volume swell.

16. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I actually think organ with out rotary is great sound. I use it with my band all the time.

17. TomVanDeven

TomVanDeven Member

Yeah I totally agree, and I bet in the demos they'll have something like a Stereo Polychorus to swirl things up a bit. But yeah, unfortunately it looks like EHX is aiming at just different organ approximations and not the full package in a box, so to speak.

It'd be AWESOME if they included an expression out and freeze/gliss. :wave

18. DavidE

DavidE Member

This thread is useless without sound clips. Really. Nice tease MM!

19. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

Nano rotary speaker effect next then?

20. Mothman

Mothman Member

How are you doing it? EQD Organizer, or somesuch?

Or, do you mean the real thing? If that's the case, I don't disagree, but that's something entirely different. My point is, if you're making an EMULATION of a Hammond, why would you leave out one of its most famous features? It's be like leaving the icing off a birthday cake. Give the rotary its own set of knobs, include a wet mix, then everybody can be happy.

My band is a two guitars-bass-drums deal, so I'm trying to get some flavor in the mix. To my ears, it just sounds more immediately "organ-y" with the faux rotary. Especially used in short bursts, and not too often.

My hope is that whatever this thing turns out to be, it becomes to organ simulators as the Soul Food is to klones: cheap and wildly effective. Look, see... I've just set myself up for colossal disappointment.