new EHX pedal- the B9 Organ Machine

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NHBluesMan, May 28, 2014.

1. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

BTW, although technically any digital delay grabs and repeats huge "grains" of the sound, I don't usually use the term "granular synthesis" in general to refer to areas which have more specific words.

For example, I would refer to the Freeze stuff as grabbing a short sample and looping it, rather than it being a granular synthesizer.

That's just me though, for the purpose of clarity.

Funny, I always hear the gliss as barberpole phasers going in opposite directions. Cheaper to implement, especially with EHX's pedigree with phasers.

2. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

my guess is this will incorporate multiple styles of organ sounds. Every clip i've seen of the Organizer sounds like a big church organ (although there may be more to it), whereas the EHX pedal will be made to emulate various organ tones. EHX also has a clean out jack, so you could effectively have a guitar sound and an organ sound layered together.

Definitely won't be for everyone, but it does seem like a cool pedal for sure

3. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

All I want is to hear baranger1 do his awesome walking bass lines doing the Jimmy Smith thing in whatever demos he does, I'd love to try and play that way some day.

4. shwn

shwn Member

When can I get one and how much will it cost me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I think the fact that you're thinking of how you'd do it with individual pedals is exactly the problem, though. You don't need 15 physical gate circuits in a digital pedal. Why would you do that? If you are already generating the content digitally all you'd need to do is generate the right content in the first place. You don't need to filter audio through a gate if you can just change the rate at which the audio comes in in the first place. You'd have absolutely no reason to go an use a reverb effect to do that either. That'd be an incredibly inefficient way of swelling in a note which you could just tell directly to increase its volume at a certain rate because you aren't really processing it at that point. You're generating it.

I mean, if you're assuming I don't understand how reverberation sounds in the real world or what you can do with it, you'd be very much mistaken. I just think that's pretty much the least efficient use of processor resources possible to do the effect that you're talking about in a pedal like the HOG. You're talking about running a whole extra reverb algorithm (which is very processor heavy itself) on top of a signal you're generating in the first place by sampling and then using only the wet signal's swell in based on the delay time of the reverb. Vs just changing the speed at which your sample fades in. So, if they were doing that it really wouldn't be a good idea.

Digital pedals are a whole different world than analog. Think about it more in terms of how a wave sampling soft synth would work and now instead of signals from a midi keyboard controlling wave samples, think of it as a guitar signal that is being turned into those midi signals and also being used as the "wavetable" of sorts for the synth by way of sampling the guitar signal in real time. I doubt that is exactly what's going on in there but I bet it's a much closer analogy.

And grabbing short samples and looping them IS granular synthesis. A delay is not really a granular synthesizer per se since the samples are too long to be considered grains in most cases (we're talking like less than 50ms)
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec05/articles/granularworkshop.htm

6. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I was reading some topics (not on this site) about a guy in a former Soviet country who built a homebrew POG, sliders and all. It's interesting to see something like that work without a lot of what has been proposed.

But it being possible to do something doesn't mean that something else doesn't exist. You could argue there are spark demons in my computer which make the chips work. Since I don't take the chips apart, I wouldn't be able to disprove it. As to how likely it is... well, I'd doubt it.

And, thinking about spark demons means I wouldn't be able to think clearly about how my computer works, and be able to understand its real strengths and abilities, and to utilize them with full understanding.

I've come to the conclusion that if EHX has managed to come up with an entirely new method of digital pitch shifting and attack diffusion, and managed to make it in a cost effective manner, then I'm good with it.

And if stacking other pedals gets the same sound as the EHX stuff which combines those effects, like the original POG, then it's interesting that EHX would be implementing a more complicated solution which is so completely divorced from what they've used in similar gear.

Is it likely that's what they did, and that they managed to charge the same price?

Well, I guess likeliness is an individual judgment.

After all, you're reading this post, and so I guess my spark demons are working, just as yours are, right?

Now, back to the B9!

7. WoodyStrat

WoodyStrat Member

Absolutely will try one!

8. DRS

DRS Member

Way cool! The only thing that would be cooler is if you could have just the leslie and hear your original guitar signal.

9. Mothman

Mothman Member

Ah, just beat me to it. Just finished watching that vid... overall, I'm really impressed! Basically, they've put Ruppert's Effectology Hammond sound into one stomp box. Clean, it's pretty clear it's an emulation, especially isolated like this. But, in a mix, I'll bet it'd sound much more organic. And overdriven, it sounded great, period. I was also blown away by the Vox continental sound... pretty much spot on! Another one that would sound killer with just a bit of drive.

10. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I saw a list price of $293.73 in a Guitar World article.

11. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Dig the video. Want the pedal. Hopefully that's list price and it will retail a good chunk less.

12. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Don't need it.

Totally want it.

13. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

dig

14. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

I was sold before, but especially when they pulled out Green Onions. That is, far and away, my all time favourite jam.

15. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Any word on tracking with a bass? (Sorry, if I missed it...)

16. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

They are apparently generating the sound directly off of the signal, as opposed to triggering it. I don't imagine it'd be a problem.

17. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Clips are up and there's a Continental setting. Sounds amazing considering it's a guitar.

18. john beddoe

john beddoe Member

hey guys. For those who have bought it..whats the bottom end mode like for doing faux basslines?

19. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

Holy CRAP.

Too much fun!! And the blended sounds could really help a power trio format.

20. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Just ordered one from ebay... Looking forward to it.

Can someone who owns one tell me if the power supply is variable 110 - 240V or whether I'll need to buy a 240v one.