New EHX Soul Food Overdrive - Thread #3

treeuh

Seems that after the initial frenzy that the SF has lost a lot of its steam. Some shootouts with other klones proved the SF to be less preferred by the masses when compared to the others. I still like mine well enough that I don't have a burning desire to try the others.

I don't think I posted this here yet, but here's my rehoused SF:
Did everyone somehow miss this display of awesome??

Well done, sir. Well done.

zsno

Did everyone somehow miss this display of awesome??

Well done, sir. Well done.
Agreed, that looks pretty sweet. I feel that unless you could do it completely yourself, that it would cost as much as the pedal originally did, though.

BluesHarp

It has less bass, but its not worse than a $1500 original.. its just a little bit different.
The dirt sounds much better than the original silver/gold versions Ive owned.
( most people only used the gain up to about 8-9 o'clock on the klon, making it a clean boost most times )
Depends on what you want that makes one better than the other.

I don't think I posted this here yet, but here's my rehoused SF:

:dude Love it!! Pm sent.

It has less bass, but its not worse than a $1500 original.. its just a little bit different.
The dirt sounds much better than the original silver/gold versions Ive owned.
( most people only used the gain up to about 8-9 o'clock on the klon, making it a clean boost most times )
Depends on what you want that makes one better than the other.

:dude Love it!! Pm sent.
Is it all in the diodes? I keep my original with the knobs at noon and it just breaths life into my tone like nothing else. The grit from digging in is real nice too. The SF wasn't as nice in the grit if you take my meaning. It did a good clean boost but without the extra life that the original has.

blues

Silver Supporting Member
I bought one and tried it as a boost with my Regal through a 4x10 cabinet. I turned down the treble on my amp a bit.

I had the amp cranked at nine on the volume control and the SF worked ok as a boost. I left it always on for a while as a boost and it pushed the amp ok. Adding a slight bit of gain worked ok also.

For 66 bucks its a cool pedal. Im glad I tried it because all the SF threads had my curious. I liked the true bypass mode the best. In the end I liked the amp cranked better by its self for nice breakup.

Im going to keep the pedal. For 66 bucks I think its worth the price. I don't think it worth much more than that.

Last edited:

naveed211

I'm still loving mine. I am pairing it with a Box of Rock and it's glorious. Volume 3:00, Gain 9:00, Treble 10:00.

No idea how it compares to a Klon, but it's just good tone regardless of price. Perfect for stacking. I either use it for a bluesy lead with just the boost portion of the BoR (always on), or for a saturated lead/hard rock sound with the BoR fully on.

jrockbridge

I still use my SF in front of a Fender amp. I have the gain set low for a cleanish, always on, mid boost. I use it at the exact same settings in front of an Avid Eleven Rack. It warms up the modeler and sounds like it raises the headroom.

I've tried the SF in front of my VAC Hayseed 15 but I think it sounds awful in front of that amp. The amp already has a fair amount of midrange frequency emphasis. To my ears, the SF eq coloration is all wrong for that amp circuit.

I'd like to try a real KTR at some point. I'm sure it will sound a bit different than the SF and I'd like a chance to decide if I prefer the KTR. However, since the KTR is not available new, and I will not pay the inflated price for a used one, perhaps I'll give one of the other Klones a try.

mkr1

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a pre-built BYOC Silver Pony to A/B against my Soul Food as a low-gain pre-OD boost, and actually preferred the character of the Soul Food in my rig - so the BYOC is on its way to another TGPer. The Soul Food tapers bass more slowly as Drive is increased relative to the Pony, so worked better at my sweet spot. Although I don't plan on using the SF as a main OD, its clipping was just a little more gritty too, which I would prefer I ever did use it that way.

It reminded me of two obvious concepts - watching multiple shootout videos can only get you so far, and it's what happens from your rig directly to your ears that counts. This has satisfied any curiosity for me that I might need a different or more expensive clone.

champster

I bought one and compared it with my Klon KTR. To me the SF isn't even a decent cheap imitation. The more I compared the two the more the differences stood out. The SF doesn't come close to the dynamics that the KTR has nor the tone. Used as a boost the KTR kills the SF. Oh well, it is a $60.00 pedal and sounds like one.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Pedals sound according to their price?

On TGP they do.

You see, anything mass produced and cheap HAS to be crap, otherwise the carefully sculpted place these people have in the gear world will explode.

BluesHarp

I actually replaced a hand made 2005 Lovepedal Eternity Burst with the Soul Food and im using it like you would a tubescreamer type pedal.

What your mentioning with the grit.. yea, most guys dont like the dirt much unless its mixed well with amp breakup, but yes I can see that the diodes in the original klon might have slightly more give when you dig in vs the SF.

Have you tried the jhs modded SF? I think it has a extra diode and the low end control to get closer to the klons eq.

Is it all in the diodes? I keep my original with the knobs at noon and it just breaths life into my tone like nothing else. The grit from digging in is real nice too. The SF wasn't as nice in the grit if you take my meaning. It did a good clean boost but without the extra life that the original has.

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried the jhs modded SF? I think it has a extra diode and the low end control to get closer to the klons eq.
The JHS mod adds a three-position clipping switch to select stock Schottky diodes, Ge diodes, or diode lift. I prefer the Ge diodes and the bass boost all the way up.

BrandonAy

I'll probably never sell my Soul Food, but a Subdecay Liquid Sunshine just knocked it off my board. As much as I love the SF's buffer, I just couldn't find a place for it that doesn't make certain pedals act strangely.

BrandonAy

Why not just turn the buffer off?
Haha! Well, there's that option, too.

The buffer wasn't the only reason. The Liquid Sunshine just better suits my needs. Plus, I liked the SF as a buffer and treble booster. The LS fits the latter, and as much as I love the buffer, I don't need one enough to suffer removing other pedals or painstakingly searching for the perfect signal chain. The LS was just an easier solution, and I love all its sounds - as opposed to the 2 settings I liked on the SF.

Still, good pedal.

Trending Topics