New Electric Choices

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Swain, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Swain

Swain Member

I have 3 questions for this illustrious panel.

1. I've always wanted to try a Melancon, Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, and Grosh, side by side. Does anyone know of a shop that has all 5 brands? It would have to be within 3 hours drive from Little Rock, AR. I may go as far as Nashville.

2. Also, has anyone here tried all 5 brands? I have seen various threads comparing 2 or 3 of them. But I only want to hear from people who have personally tried all 5, for this question.

3. Are there other, comparable brands, I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have played all five. Anything specific you wanna know? What models were you interested in? I've played the strat and tele versions of each, with the exception of Tyler, which I've only played the strat version of (borrowed it for a recording session).

In general, they're all exceptionally well-made instruments. I've not personally cared for the Suhrs and Andersons, feel-wise. Something about them feels a little funny to me. Maybe it's the Feiten thing or just the way they're set up. Maybe I've never played the right one. I've never liked Anderson's pickups either. Suhr's pickups are very good I think. The Tyler I played felt pretty good. It had one of those psychedelic finishes that made my eyes hurt :) It was heavier than I like in a strat-style guitar but since they're highly custom I wouldn't read too much into that.

Just about every Melancon and Grosh I've played I liked a lot. If I had to pick out of your list it'd be one of those. But, I have one strat and one tele-type guitar and they're both G&L's, which I prefer to all the above. (I'm currently having Saul Koll make me two custom Tele's, but they're not replacing the G&L's - just providing some things they don't do). For whatever reason, G&L's seem to lack the high-end sexy glamour of all those brands, but I think they're phenomenal instruments. I also think the Fender Custom Shop can still make a really great instrument every so often.

3. Swain

Swain Member

Yeah, I have a killer Fender strat. G & Ls are great. I don't have any specific questions. Just your general opinions. I just wondered if there were any glaring differences. It seems like they're all pretty competitive, with each other. Thanks for the input.

4. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I think St. Louis will be the closest you can get to doing this in one trip.

Eddie's Guitars carries 4 of the brands:
    http://www.eddiesguitars.com/SELECTION.htm

Anderson
    Grosh
    Melancon
    Tyler

Eddie's Guitars
    7362 Manchester Rd.
    St. Louis, MO 63143
    ph. 314.781.7500
    fax. 314.781.7510
    www.eddiesguitars.com

And Fazio's carries Suhr:
    http://www.faziosmusic.com

Fazio's Frets & Friends
    14239 Manchester Rd
    Manchester, MO (Machester is in the St. Louis suburbs)
    636-227-3573
    888-687-4200

If you do this trip, I'd like hear your review of them (I've only played/owned 3 of the brands).

5. Vince

Vince Member

... and you get to Fazio's, you'll want to try one of ours. Dave has a few very nice ones which you can check out on their website. We just delivered a nice blonde/tortoise/rosewood TC that's not on the site yet.

From the list of guys you mention, I'd definitely try a Vinetto before you buy. Of course, I'm partial...

Good luck on your search and let us know what you end up with.

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

Hey again, I was your first responder above...

I forgot about Vinettos - I have played one at the Mesa store in Hollywood and I think it's a fantastic instrument. I have no connection, blah, blah, and the usual disclaimers, but yes, a big +1 to the gentleman above, Vinetto easily compares to any of those brands very favorably and are most definitely worth checking out.

7. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

I have played and owned most of the above. They all have a different vibe and you cant go wrong with any of them.
    Really the bottom line is getting on that fits your budget and stick to it. That is the one you will enjoy the most over time.

G&L and Melancon dont have a real strong resale, so they can be found used at around $1000 or less. None the less, great guitars.

Gregory

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Have owned Andersons, Tyler, Grosh, and played a few Suhrs. Suhr and Anderson, IMO, are precise, flawless instruments that do everything well. I would (somewhat overgeneralized) say that they are modern takes on their themes, but in the best way. All of the benefits of modern guitar building techniques are evident in them. Tylers have their own vibe, also quite modern and player friendly, but with some added goodies s/a boost, unique switching, etc. Grosh, IMO, seems to embrace more of a vintage, or old school feel, and is my personal fave. While his bodies have some signature differences from say, Fenders, there's somehow a more traditional feel to them. As with the others, his build level is amazing, I particularly like his neck and fret shapes, and the fact that he finishes all guitars in nitrocellulose. Don't know Mels, but friends who've played them had very high opinions. So like others have stated, play/investigate as many as possible...you will start to sense each's vibe, but they're all such top notch, consistent products, that it's easy to appreciate the attributes of each. AC PS...at this moment, the only of this group I own is a Grosh T.

9. Swain

Swain Member

Thanks guys! :AOK
    I had seen Eddie's website. I didn't know about Fazio's, or Vinettos. Two good tips. I'll be seriously shopping, in the spring. I'll keep you posted on my search.

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Of your list I've only played Suhrs and Tyler.

For all the ribbing I give the Tylers on these forums for the visually challenging headstock, the two that I played were excellent guitars, extremely comfortable necks, and though I didn't plug them into an amp I felt the unplugged tone was fantastic.

Everything I liked about the Tyler is also true of the Suhr. Great unplugged tone. Some of the neck shapes weren't to my liking, but some were incredible, this is to be expected with so many shapes to choose from. The fit and finish was second to none. Most likely I would have prefered the Suhr anyway but when I played one threw an amp I was blown away by the tone without noise due to the Silent Single Coil system.

Asside from Suhr and Tyler, the luthier I'm most interested in is Vinetto, I'd love to play one of these.

I'm also very happy with Fender Custom Shop guitars, for the most part. You do have to pick through a bunch for the right one, but my '56 Relic Strat is close to a perfect guitar.