New electric player! Need pedal reccomendations for worship!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by acousticplays, Jan 31, 2012.

1. acousticplays

acousticplays Member

Hi everyone,

As you can probably tell by my username, I'm quite new to playing electric guitar. I've been playing acoustic for my church's worship band for years now. Now that one of our electric players has left, someone had to fill the spot! :)

So the guitar I was able to grab is a Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet, and I'd like to get some recommendations from you all about what starter pedals to get to be able to get the right sounds for worship. I do have a pedalboard already for my acoustic, and I currently have a Line6 DL4, a GE-7, and a OC-2 octave pedal.

Our band plays a lot of modern worship, such as Hillsong United songs where there's a lot of distortion and overdrive going on.

I want to get some sort of overdrive pedal, and also a delay where I can just set it to dotted 8th's (the DL4 is sort of a hassle since tapping in dotted 8th's is required).

I was looking at the Fulltone OCD and the Ibanez Tube Screamer, I've read that these two are pretty much at the top of the overdrive list? What would you all recommend? I sort of want to get this tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekz8...&context=G2b3abbfFAAAAAAAACAA&feature=g-all-c

And as for the delay, would possibly a Boss DD-5 do the trick with an external tap?

If you have any other recommendations, please feel free to let me know!

God Bless!

2. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

DD-20 is one of the standard delays used though the Timeline and El Capistan are used also. Favorite drives for worship are Sparkle Drive, FD-2, Rats, and the regular old tubescreamer. Or you could get an MFX unit like the HD500 or RP-1000 which do a fine job too and give you a lot more effects in one package. Really depends on wht your budget is and what you're looking for.

I play on the P & W team at our church. BTW that guitar should fit right in with what you're trying to do though I use a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Telecaster for most of my needs.

3. acousticplays

acousticplays Member

Thanks for the input!
    I've heard of the Sparkle Drive as well...would you recommend it over the TS-9? I saw the price of the old tube screamer...and don't think I'd cough up that much cash for that at the moment...haha!

And as for my budget, I'm kind of looking not to spend over $100 per pedal...I'm mostly just looking for the basics for now, and I'll upgrade later on as funds allow :)

4. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

The DD-5 would be perfect for dotted eighths. If you want presets, a DD-20 would be fitting. As for overdrives, the OCD and FD-2 are really just replicas of the tube screamer with different features. That doesn't mean they won't work, just something to ponder. A volume pedal may be helpful if you do swells and such. A reverb may also add a bit of ambience and texture. (Boss RV-5).

5. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

im a P & w player as well. Ive been through lots of gear. My picks are:

delay: DL4 (digital stuff)
    EHX Deluxe Memory Man (analog)
    DD5 (dotted eighths)

overdrive: Klon(e) (low gain/boost)
    kalamazoo (mid gain)
    brownie (high gain)

* i think a compressor and a volume pedal for swells would do u good as well

6. acousticplays

acousticplays Member

So going with a regular TS-9 would probably be the smart choice? :)

I've seen some BBE Opto Stomps, are those any good?
    And what volume pedals would you recommend? Thanks!

7. hktk

hktk Member

DD5 or 7 will do a good .8th note, as for drives the sparkle drive, Timmy, TS808 or TS9 or OCD seem to be popular choices. I would think some kind of tube screamer coupled with a boost/more transparent OD would do a good job. With drives though a lot will depend on what amp you use it with.

8. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

Yeah man. I'd go either TS-9 and a Timmy or a TS-8 and a JHS Morning Glory. Both great combos!

9. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

Oh and the Ernie Ball junior volume pedals are popular but usually eventually break. If you invest a little more, get a Goodrich L-120.

10. acousticplays

acousticplays Member

just a quick question: is it really an advantage/neccesity to have two overdrives? Sorry for the question, just shows my lack of knowledge about electric guitars! haha.

11. rodas807

rodas807 Member

you can try a timmy or tim for the OD part and maybe a morning glory from JHS or double barrel! and for the delay parts... Nova delay and DD5 it's a really good combo and some modulation from the Nova Modulator on Modfactor!

12. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Sell the pedals you currently have, buy a Line 6 M13 and, as funds are saved, get a well-built overdrive like the cmatmods Signa Drive or Barber Direct Drive Super Sport.

All your compression, delay, reverb, tuning, octave, and heavenly (ahem) atmospheric effects at your disposal. An expression pedal (again a down-the-road as funds are saved purchase) as the M13 volume pedal.

Just another way to skin a cat. The M13 could also be used for the acoustic down the road, too.

13. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

It might be helpful to know what kind of amp you'll be using, and how you're planning to EQ it.

14. wesc

wesc Member

I would try to get like 3 overdive stages. Ive found that a transparent ish OD, Tubescreamer type OD, and a flat or treble boost work well together. I use a timmy, maxon od pro, and zvex super hard on, and they are all voiced differently enough that they stack well without getting muddy and have competing frequencies. For dotted eighth digital delay, the dd7 or dd5 is perfect and simple. I would also recommend a volume pedal for swells and fading out.

15. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Overdrive: Wampler Ecstasy, Bearfoot Honey Bee Overdrive, and maybe a Tim/Timmy.
    Delays: Diamond Memory Lane Jr., Strymon El Capistan w/ Favorite Switch
    Reverb: Neunaber Stereo Wet, Strymon BlueSky Reverberator.

16. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

17. adamagain

adamagain Silver Supporting Member

OP said $100 per pedal...:huh

18. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

As far as affordable drive pedals, I use an OCD and Cmatmods Signa Drive for my P&W. Both can be had for right around $100.

19. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Oops, I missed that. :)

20. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

To the OP: AWESOME! I'm an acoustic player turned electric as well (still play acoustic when needed). I would be curious to find out what amp you're playing through, or are you plugging in direct? I hope your sound techs aren't that mean... :facepalm

Here are my choices, all for around $100. I think you could get by with:
    1. Tuner - you GOTTA have a tuner. Boss TU-2/TU-3, both used around $50/60.
    2. OD - for P&W, Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc. you'll need a TS. Check out the TS808 ($100 used), the Way Huge Green Rhino ($100 used), the Sparkle Drive ($80-90 used), the Full Drive 2 MOSFET ($110 used, yeah it's a little more), and a RAT ($50 used). If you score a RAT, I would recommend the Keeley mod at least - it will help tame the pedal a bit, but I know it gets plenty of use in modern P&W.
    3. Delay - it's a staple for P&W to add some depth. Check out the Boss DD-5 or DD-7 for tap tempo capability ($80-100 used). You can build your own for $3 in parts from Radio Shack. :aok If you want some more variability, and you're patient, you can find Line 6 DL4s used for $100 (I've bought two, both for $100 or LESS).

Those are the essentials. What do I think might be additional?
    > Lead boost - something to either push your TS or other OD and add sustain (like a RAT), OR something to give you a volume jump and EQ'ing ability (like an RC Booster - it's a little more pricy $110-$120 used).
    > Reverb - for P&W, it's hard to beat a Boss RV-5 in terms of bang for the buck. $80 used, and the modulate setting is great! Line 6 Verbzilla is good, too, for $70-80 used.
    > Compressor - it really really helps with delay rifs and clean tone. MXR Dyna Comp and Custom Comps are good pedals for your price range ($50-80 used).
    > Volume pedal - if you plan on doing any volume swells, it makes sense to have one of these. Ernie Ball VP Jr's are great pedals, and you can send them to This1sMyne for a mod that lets you use the tuner out with the output via split buffer, so there's no signal loss, and the buffer is great!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck! Oh, and sorry about your wallet...

That should cover most bases for you.