New EMG Xs for my shredder - not as simple as it looks.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Apr 17, 2016.

1. doc

doc Member

I have a Robin Medley that I've enjoyed for years - this despite it being the "wrong" guitar for me. I'm pretty much the typical TGP demographic (older, tends to appreciate and play jazz/blues/classic rock, etc.). I recently decided to "get my shred on" (a little), and this is the designated vehicle. Its swamp ash with rosewood board and has a Floyd and a fast neck. I had put a Kahler Steeler trem on it years ago which sounded better but works worse than the stock Takeuchi, so I finally got (after a really long wait) a KGC block for the stock trem; I finally put that on and think that will work well (but had one screw hole not lined up right, so its on there with 2 screws). I had some WCR Fillmores in there - sounds good but thick and too "old school" for what I want to do now. I'm replacing them with EMG X 89s in both positions (the R in the neck).

Its taking a while, and still not done yet. I'm having to remember how my fancy Schaller 3 position blade switch is wired. Beyond that, it took little looking to find the right wiring diagram for the EMGs online - the sheet included with the pickup is not much help. They tried to make it easy with the snap on connectors, but its still takes a bit of thought, and answers to some issues are hard to find - like which side up for some of the snap ons. I was a little surprised to find that I would have to forgo a tone control - I had assumed that I could have a master volume and master tone and change from single to dual coil with only the push pull on the master volume to affect both pickups - looks like I'm having to use 2 volumes, one for each pickup. I had to drill the channel for the bridge pickup wiring a bit wider to fit the connector through, and I'll have to cut the neck pickup connector in order to get it through its channel and then resolder each of those tiny wires again. I test fitted all the stuff in the cavity - looks like it will work (barely).

I thought I'd post this in case someone else is about to go active and might benefit from knowing about some issues to consider.

Anyway, I hope at the end I'll feel like this was worth it.

2. majordanger

majordanger Member

Seems like the issue is 89s not X series. The splittable part does make it more complicated.

Have you emailed EMG for help?

On the bright side, the fancy connectors make it easy to fix if you good up the wiring.

3. doc

doc Member

Thanks for the input. The main thing slowing things down now is my dreading having to cut and then resolder all those tiny wires on the neck pickup connector to get it through the channel. So far, I haven't run into anything that shouldn't work eventually, just not sure I'd have gone for both being 89 instead of 85 if I'd known that it would force me to lose my tone control. I might end up moving one pickup to another guitar eventually. So far no issues I feel like I need help from EMG for, but if I finish getting it wired up and it isn't working, I'll probably try to get in touch with them.

I would like to find a clear diagram of the lug assignment of the Schaller T style Megaswitch though.

I did kind of expect some input on these pickups from TGP though, anything from "dude, they f****n rock!" to "how could you think this move would be an improvement?".

4. majordanger

majordanger Member

Yeah I don't hear a lot of love around here for EMG although I am a big fan. I have them in both my current guitars and a set of 81x 60ax here for a build I'm starting.

Looking forward to a tone report on yours.

5. c_mac

c_mac Member

I bought EMG X 89s for a unfinished project as well. Rick Hunt from EMG insisted that you can set one pot up for a master tone. He sent me the diagram. Shoot me your email address in a PM and I'll forward it onto you.