New Eminence speaker content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Roccaforte Amps, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I have read a big part of this huge thread and it made my head spin and I'm still not sure about this. I am looking at speakers to use in a 2x12. This is a ported cab. I would first of all use it with my new Carr Slant 6V in a blues/bluesrock band BUT I would also like to use it with my Masotti X100M to get a more vintage tone from it if needed. I have another one of those cabs and it is loaded with Governors. I'm looking for a smooth tone, smooth mids with a nice low end and not to much high end unless it is a fat high end.

I was leaning towards the Privat Jacks as I thought the RWBs might sound to close to the Governors. The descriptions of the Wizards also sounds good but I have no idea where to put them in the tonal spectrum. Reading this thread has me more interested in the RWBs though :jo

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm not familiar with the Masotti but with the Carr playing blues/blues rock I'd love to have a 2x12 loaded with the Tonker and Swamp Thang.

3. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I tried the Tonker with a Governor and did not like it, thought it had harsh high mids/highs even after pounding it at monstrous volumes for hours.

Swamp thangs seem to be nice as well, just saw what Doug posted about them earlier today.

4. anibas

anibas Member

Sounds like the new Eminence Commonwealth 12" would be the right speaker for you,judging from what I've read about it.Those MC- 90's are nice speakers,but seem somewhat underpowered for some Mesa amps,IMO.

5. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

Have any of you compared the Tonespotter with the Red, White and Blues? If so, what were your impressions? They seem to have similar specs, except for power handling capability.

Thanks!

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I wouldn't mess with the weber cali. Too nasally. Why not just get an EV 12L?

7. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I loaded two Rocca 2 12" closed back cabs today, one with the Eminence Black Powder's, the other with the Eminence Blue Tick Hounds.
    Both cabs wired 16 ohm.

The Black Powders are very deep/dark sounding, I preferred them more with a clean non master volume type amp. (I used both Rocca's and Fender's to test). With the cranked non master volume amps, they really sounded fat and wide. Real warm sound, responded well when I added a Fuzz/Wha combination.

Now, the Blue Tick Hound loaded cab was absolutely sick.
    It's kind of funny, I'm usually not one to prejudge any piece
    of audio equipment by its looks. The girl (Jen) who works for me
    pulled them out of the box and said, "these look kind of wimpy."
    I turn around to look, and noticed why she said that,
    these have a small 20 oz magnet, and the speaker
    compared to the others I'm sampling do look a tad lighter.
    So what, lets hear them bark. And bark they did.
    I must say that the Blue Tick Hounds are amazing.
    I ran the new Jenelle 80/100 Rocca gained out to the max, and pumped some juice through these. They took it like they were asking for more, almost yawning at me! With the gain up, I didn't get any added junk on the top end, and yet the trebble was right there in these speakers cutting away. That was the most impressive thing about these speakers.
    OK, so on to the 80 channel of the Jenelle. Classic Rock tones where just as I expect from any speaker, many don't go all the way if you know what I mean. Raw British tones sounding like they were recorded in 1969.
    Clean, these speakers had the warmth, and real good balance across the board. I really look for that in a speaker.
    How would they sound in a 4 12"? I have no idea, but I hope to find out someday soon. I'll need a 16 ohm version guys (Eminence).
    This speaker does so many things extremely well, I've never heard a 2 12" cab sound and feel so good, ever. My only complaints are, Eminence has so many great designs it makes it hard to decide which one gets plugged into first! Awesome job on this one guys.
    Doug

8. edward

edward Supporting Member

This thread just isn't long enough, so here's my two cents.

I just replaced the farty fender in my PRII with a RW&B and it sounds excellent. Bass is tight and defined, even when dimed, with zero flubbiness ...simply gorgeous clean bottom end fills the room. The highs are smooth and glassy, very clean and Fender-chimey, just like it's supposed to be. And an unexpented plus is that the RWB is so much more effiecient a spkr than the factory one, yielding a very noticible increase in volume ...very useful in increasing clean headroom. I still want to hear what a C-Rex will sound like in this amp, but the RWB is such a superb replacement that it just may take me a while before I get that C-rex to try it out.

Edward

9. jeswin123

jeswin123 Member

I just installed a Texas Heat 8ohm in my Carvin Vintage 16. It replaced a Celestion Vintage 30. In the past to get a sound that I liked I had the eq set as follows :Bass 10 Mid 3.5 Treble 6.5. Now I have my eq set Bass 6 Mid 5 Treble 5. And the speaker sounds spankier, with more dynamics. Interesting is that the eq knobs seem to react differently. I'm not sure how to explain, I'll update later. I did also notice that in 5watt mode, the speaker sounded a bit brittle and hard, where in 16watt mode it sounds sweet and crystal clear. Maybe some of you have an idea why. Thanks Eminence for a great speaker!

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well this thread isnt hardly long enuff. :eek: So.....

As I stated about 9 million pages back the Eminece Wizard is defintely my Favorite Speaker with the Right Amp. They give that Classic G12H30 sound but Improved with Higher Power handling.

I tried the Blackpowder but I didnt like it.

Something I recently learned is these Eminences come with a 7 year warranty. My God I didnt realise that. I think I'm gonna check out more of them and less of everything else.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

12. Tomo

Tomo Member

Check this out.

http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp

Tomo

13. carltonh

carltonh Member

Properly A/B'd sound clips are worth 2000 posts.

...but.... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE RED RYDERS?!?!?

Possibly their best all purpose speaker and it looks like its not listed anymore? It had the best parts of the Governor and Tonker. Guess I'll have to stick with Texas Heats.

14. MILLS Acoustics

MILLS Acoustics Member

Hey Doug, Eminence is sending a pair of Red Fangs to me this week and Celestion is sending a set of Alnico Golds for the new 212 "Tweed" cab prototype. I'm anxious to hear the actual difference between the two in a "floating baffle" design, such as this. Should be a very interesting match-up I do believe. Of course, I'll keep everyone posted and get sound clips up asap.

15. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Anyone played the LYNCH SUPER V12 yet?

16. Occam

Occam Silver Supporting Member

Anybody mix swamp thangs and private jacks in a 4x12? I'm looking for something for loud, crunchy/fuzzy rock that really cuts through but without being overly harsh. Maybe all swamp thangs would be best but I was thinking that the private jacks would help add a little extra detail while the swamp thangs gave me the oomph and chung.

17. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

have to add my buck fifty.

I'm waiting on a Reeves cab with Eminence Vintage Purples. They need to make those speakers available :D

-Z

18. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Are they Fane copies?

19. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Been away from this thread for a while, but I have two questions:

1) Can anyone say which of the new Redcoats come closest to (i.e. are designed to compete with) the Celestion G12H30 and the Celestion GreenbacK?

2) How would one compare the differences between a Greenback and a G12H30 in either an open or closed cab?

20. jeswin123

jeswin123 Member

I think that someone wrote up a chart a few pages back. If I remember Greenback is Private Jack. I know the Governor is V30. I'm not sure about H30. Also if you go back a few pages, someone posted a link to a website where some guy, Dr. Frankenstein or something like that, has a demo of each celestion side by side. A little vague, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.