• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Eminence speaker content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitar James

Yeh they are replicas of mid 70's Fane Crescendo purple frames. They are brighter than the current Fane issue speakers. Have a tighter sound.

-Z
They sound very interesting, have you tried the Eminence LYNCH SUPER V12's they are supposed to be based on old Fanes too.

callaway_1

Yeh they are replicas of mid 70's Fane Crescendo purple frames. They are brighter than the current Fane issue speakers. Have a tighter sound.

-Z
They aren't copies of the crescendo, but rather the cast frame Fane model specifically voiced for HIWATT that were made until 1974.

REEVES Vintage Purples are excellent speakers!

You can experience them in person at the 2007 Vintage HIWATT Ampfest/Convention

-Clayton

Ben Furman

Silver Supporting Member
Been away from this thread for a while, but I have two questions:

1) Can anyone say which of the new Redcoats come closest to (i.e. are designed to compete with) the Celestion G12H30 and the Celestion GreenbacK?
The PJ is definitely Greenback inspired. According to this thread, the Wizard is your G12H30 clone:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/167718

Now where did that comparative list go? It must have been buried in one of the Tomo soundclip threads....

-Ben

5sonic

Redcoat Series
Red Ryder = G12-80
Man O War = G12T-75
The Wizard = G12H-30
The Tonespotter = G12T-65
The Governor = Vintage 30
Private Jack = G12M Greenback
Red Fang = G12 Alnico Blue
Commonwealth 12 = JBL E120
Also noteworthy
DeltaPro 12A = EVM12L

I had already copied and pasted this list to Text Edit, so here ya go. I thought I had copied the full descriptions that another TGP'er posted, but now I can't find them.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
Delta Pro 12A sounds nothing like an EV12L. It's way brighter in the upper mids and not in a good way for guitar. It's ok in a closed back cab for jazz with some acoustical foam or fiberglass such as the Raezer's Edge cabs.

Redcoat Series
Red Ryder = G12-80
Man O War = G12T-75
The Wizard = G12H-30
The Tonespotter = G12T-65
The Governor = Vintage 30
Private Jack = G12M Greenback
Red Fang = G12 Alnico Blue
Commonwealth 12 = JBL E120
Also noteworthy
DeltaPro 12A = EVM12L

I had already copied and pasted this list to Text Edit, so here ya go. I thought I had copied the full descriptions that another TGP'er posted, but now I can't find them.

5sonic

That was the list originally posted by another TGP'er. I haven't tried any of them. I'm trying to decide which ones would match up best with my Dr Z Route 66. I can get a pair of Stonehenge for $120, so I'm probably going to order those right now.

I found the descriptions that I had copied from another thread. I'll go ahead and post this with the disclaimer that I am not the original poster of this info. If the original poster is offended I'll modify my post to remove it.

"The quoted descriptions are straight from Anthony Lucas at Eminence (who I contacted shortly after starting this thread) who was more than happy to help in the descriptions .

Redcoat Series:

Private Jack= Greenback without the bass/lower-mid mush

Stonehenge= British crunch with crisp mids and a bright top end, more edge

The Governor= Vintage 30 without the icepick upper mids

Red Fang= Celestion AlNiCo Blue with rounder top end

Red Ryder= Classic Lead 80, well balanced, very articulate, tight and punchy, smooth response with OD

The Wizard= 75hz G12H30 with a slightly tamer top

The Tonespotter= G12-65

Man O War= G12T-75 with a smoother top end, loud, articulate and responsive

The Tonker= fat and round tone, warm, smooth and clean, pronounced bottom end, lots of presence, it was not our intention, but people are comparing this to the old Fanes

TonkerLite= 2" neodymium, similar tone to Tonker, but more open, a little more balance and top end and less lower mid growl, still fat and round sounding, but not as much as the Tonker

Patriot Series

Commonwealth 12= JBL E120 very warm and rich, full, smooth, clean and well defined with great presence, likes the OD

Blue Tick Hound= smooth and creamy, not very efficient, tight and darker sounding, grungy/heavy metal tone

Black Powder= moderate bottom end, but tight, very percussive, upper mid and top end emphasis, very crisp, raw and bright

Swamp Thang= Big tone, very efficient, slow break up, great bottom end, smooth top end, very thick and chunky, amazing Fender clean, not a heavy metal tone in my opinion, but takes pedals and overdrive very well

Red White And Blues= moderate bottom end, very bluesy tone, warm and smooth, lots of mids, a bit bright

Screamin Eagle= very bright and articulate, tight bottom end, crisp mids 1.75" voice coil version of the Texas Heat

Texas Heat= warm, fat tone, nice bottom end less top end, but still has bite and clarity, crisp mids, touch sensitive, plenty of crunch, I like to call this the Marshall meets Fender speaker because it has American voiced cone with some British characteristics

Lil' Texas= 2" neodymium, some similarities to Texas Heat, top end bite, crisp mids, tight low end, very balanced American tone

Cannabis Rex= ToneTubby??? Same idea with the hemp cone, very clean and full, nice bottom end, warm and abundant mids, nice definition on the top end, but more subdued than most 12s, good to tame a bright amp, slow break up, with OD, very woody sounding

10" Models

Redcoat Series:

Ramrod= loud, meaty tone, chunky low end that is very pronounced for a 10", warm mids, nice overtones, singing top end

Patriot Series:

The Copperehead= vintage, balanced, tight, warm mids, top end bite, a little honk mixed with a touch of blues

Ragin Cajun= very modern and more aggressive, very responsive, touch sensitive, pronounced bottom end for a 10", very efficient, crisp mids, bell like quality on the top end, cleans up very nice and can get really raw with lots of edge with overdrive (like a multiple personality), currently our best selling 10"

Delta Demon= used by blues endorsing artist Tab Benoit, not very efficient, dark, creamy tone

Lil' Buddy= Hemp cone, very smooth and less defined than other 10s, very clean and full, slow break up, crunchy with OD

15" Model

Redcoat Series:

Big Ben= Big, clean and warm, throaty, plenty of bass, smooth on top, scooped

Patriot Series:
Commonwealth 15= JBL E130 same tonal characterisitics as the 12" in a 15"."

5sonic

I think the red white and blues would be a great match with the Dr. Z.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. The RW&B's are definitely on my short list. I'm hoping to make a final decision in the next day or two. Maybe Tomo will weigh in on the subject.

cheers :BEER

5sonic

I went ahead and bought a pair of Red White and Blues to go with my Dr Z Route 66. They're going in a large closed back 2x12" Mojo cab. It's actually a Marshall style cab (27" H x 26" W x 14" D). These speakers are rated at 120 watts each. Do you think they'll be underpowered by a 32 watt amp that reaches 40 watts at full clip? I was thinking that their high efficiency combined with the large closed back cab will add some extra volume to this amp. I'm sure they would sound great in this cab with a Fender Twin style amp, or a Fuchs. I just hope the Route 66 can drive a pair of them into the range where they sound good.

odourboy

I went ahead and bought a pair of Red White and Blues to go with my Dr Z Route 66. They're going in a large closed back 2x12" Mojo cab. It's actually a Marshall style cab (27" H x 26" W x 14" D). These speakers are rated at 120 watts each. Do you think they'll be underpowered by a 32 watt amp that reaches 40 watts at full clip? I was thinking that their high efficiency combined with the large closed back cab will add some extra volume to this amp. I'm sure they would sound great in this cab with a Fender Twin style amp, or a Fuchs. I just hope the Route 66 can drive a pair of them into the range where they sound good.
Sesitivity rating on the RW&Bs is 101dB - quite high. That's the spec that matters when you're wondering how loud they'll be. They should be fine!

sector9

Well i tried to read the whole thread but my eyes started to bleed. Ok i have a BF deluxe reverb, I play surf instrumental so i need sweet clean sound at high volume. so what emi speaker should i be looking at? I hear the rex is good but might be too dark sounding for surf. RWB? maybe i don't know. what do you guys think.

empty71

Well i tried to read the whole thread but my eyes started to bleed. Ok i have a BF deluxe reverb, I play surf instrumental so i need sweet clean sound at high volume. so what emi speaker should i be looking at? I hear the rex is good but might be too dark sounding for surf. RWB? maybe i don't know. what do you guys think.
Sounds like the Tonkers for you imho ;)

gkoelling

Sounds like the Tonkers for you imho ;)
I had a DRRI for about 5 years and agree, the Tonker would sound great in that amp. If you really want to stay with an American style speaker, try the Swamp Thang. I'm using one in my Gries 35 and it is one sweet speaker.

EDIT: Check out page 142 in this thread for comments by Roccaforte regarding the Swamp Thang.

Edgy Owl

Best speaker for contemporary jazz/fusion style in a 1x12 Mesa MkIII 60 watt combo?
Swamp Thang
Legend 121
RW&B's
All sound suitable on Eminence sound clips. Any opinions?

earx

hi
i want to build a custom amp for a friend
he's most in the slash/guns and roses stuff
what would be the best eminence speaker for the slash sound ?
he's an ibanez with a dimarzio virtual paf, and i would build
a higain single ended class A amp
thanks

5sonic

hi
i want to build a custom amp for a friend
he's most in the slash/guns and roses stuff
what would be the best eminence speaker for the slash sound ?
he's an ibanez with a dimarzio virtual paf, and i would build
a higain single ended class A amp
thanks
Well, I believe Slash uses Celestion Vintage 30s, so the obvious choice would be The Governor.

ford

Modz
Staff member
My Red Fangs just came in. I'm still waiting for the cabinet they are going to go into though. I'm putting them into a 2x12 Valvetech cab that's coming with my Hayseed 30 head. It's going to be great! They look great too.

Here's a question. What 2 eminence speakers would you run with a Budda Sd30 head? I like the idea of having 2 different speakers to run with this cab. I play rock/poprock/indystuff.. it's pretty straightforward stuff... no super high gain, but plenty of souped up Marshall tone from the Budda. The clean side is a voxy/marshall mix of goodness.

The cab I have right now has a Governor and a Man O'war in it. I'm thinking about swapping out the Governor for a Private Jack. Then I'll decide if the Man O'war is a good fit with the PJ. Any other opinions out there?

rock

bford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics