New Eminence speaker content

Status
Not open for further replies.

5sonic

I just finished wiring up the Mojo 2x12" cab with Red White & Blues. So far they sound great! It's 1:00 am, so I couldn't crank it, but even at low volume they have a nice sweet tone to them. They also feel good to play, very touch sensitive. Tomorrow I'll turn them up louder and kick in some overdrive. It seems like they were a good choice for this cab and amp (Dr Z Route 66).

I wonder if a Switchcraft or Neutrik jack will sound better than this Radio Shack one? I used Radio Shack 18-gauge wire too. It works.

:munch

T

The Usual

Holy crap, I made it!!! Great thread. Someone should really clean this up though, and get it down to 10-20 pages of useful stuff.

Based on what I've read, and all the clips I've heard, I have come up with a few observations:

1) These seem to be the Dimarzios of the speaker world. Can anyone relate?

2) Either this thread should have been called Eminence Love, or all other speaker manufacturers are out of business soon, or Eminence should change their name to Placebo inc!!

In all seriousness, I am interested in giving these a try, but I have a hard time given that there has been very little negative feedback on these. It could be that 90% of the people are replacing V30s with them (like guys reviewing pickups that replace their first stock neck pup with duncan and say "This is the greatest pickup, ever!!"), or people are afraid of the lashback others have gotten from a few for the couple of negative comments.

I find that 80% positive feedback is a way bigger selling point than 100%.

So I don't want to be negative, and maybe there's a different thread for me, but does anyone not like these compared to their Celestions or other? If so, why?

I am interested in the Private Jacks to mix with 2 G12Hs in a 4 12, and possibly a Red Fang for a combo or 2 12.
Do these really smoke Celestions, or are we just really excited about the price, and some much needed competition?
Thanks

SteveStevens

I tried every Eminence speaker at NAMM a couple of years ago. They had this big footswitchable thing so I played the same riff through every speaker. My general impression? They all sounded really good. Very few stood out as all that different from one another. Eminence just makes well constructed speakers and I think well made products sound good. That said, the two standouts for me were the Wizard and the Red Fang. My Stevenson 4X12 now has four Wizards in it. (I would have gone Red Fang-but I'd be broke!) There was one 10 inch that really shone above the rest, too. But I can't remember which one! I really think there is too much choice in the Eminence line. They should whittle it down to about half of what they offer and keep only the speakers that are dramatically different from one another. Too many of them sounded the same to me. Loved the Red Fangs, though. And they are all really well made and a good value versus Celestion. IMO. So there.

I tried every Eminence speaker at NAMM a couple of years ago. They had this big footswitchable thing so I played the same riff through every speaker. My general impression? They all sounded really good. Very few stood out as all that different from one another. Eminence just makes well constructed speakers and I think well made products sound good. That said, the two standouts for me were the Wizard and the Red Fang. My Stevenson 4X12 now has four Wizards in it. (I would have gone Red Fang-but I'd be broke!) There was one 10 inch that really shone above the rest, too. But I can't remember which one! I really think there is too much choice in the Eminence line. They should whittle it down to about half of what they offer and keep only the speakers that are dramatically different from one another. Too many of them sounded the same to me. Loved the Red Fangs, though. And they are all really well made and a good value versus Celestion. IMO. So there.

Some of the speakers do have a similar sound,
it's when you drive them that you really hear/feel the differences.
I'm with you on the Red Fang, it took me a bit to come around,
but I love this speaker, and for the price and tone you get,
I feel it's the best Alnico option we have, and I've tried
everything out there.
Doug

SteveStevens

Agreed! Great value. Short of whittling down the line, another idea might be to place all of the British speakers into sub groups and do the same for the Americans. At least then you know what ballpark you're in when you pull the trigger. (Mixing metaphors...I know...) You can't really go wrong with this stuff. It would just be nice to be able to focus the search more easily. Not everyone can go to NAMM and try everything! All we have after that is Doug's (exhaustive!) research. Where do you find the strength to keep testing speakers? Godspeed...

LarryN

Damn! I wish you could remember the 10 you liked so much. I've been considering the Delta Demon, from various impressions I've gotten. Do you remember if it was a Redcoat (red label) or Patriot (blue label)? The Delta is a Patriot with a 100 watt rating. Thank you, if you can recall anything.

Chuck King

I have a closed-back 4x10 with insulation that I want to re-load. I was just about to order Copperheads for it but then I went back to the Eminence web site again and was listening to the various 10" speaker clips, and now I'm tempted by the Rajin' Cajuns and the ceramic Legends. For the fairly substantial difference in price I don't hear a lot of difference between the Legends and the higher-line models, but I don't entirely trust sound clips over the computer. Any input would be appreciated. I generally play fairly clean or with a little crunch---I won't be using this for metalesque high-gain shredding.

The Swamp Thang also sounds great in blackface amps. There are a ton of great choices.

I haven't found one bad speaker in the whole Patriot and Red Coat line.
I wish I could have everyone of them loaded into cabs so I could
walk up on a Monday and go; "hummm.., do I go red today or blue?"
;)

strattitude

What would be best for my 20w Koch Studitone (EL84)?
I'm more into sweet fender tones than marshall.

I'm thinking C Rex or RWB's. I do have a wizard paired w. a CRex in my Fender blues deville, it sounds cool, but I think the wizard is too much of a "rock" speaker for me. I can't get the sweet jazztone I could with the stock speakers, and I think it is the Wizard's fault.

So what do you think for the Studiotone?

gkoelling

I haven't tried one but I think if I were you, I'd put the Cannabis Rex in it since you already have one. That speaker has been described as having a smokey tone and if you're looking for jazz tones it's at least worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics