New Eminence speaker content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Roccaforte Amps, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The earlier versions of those were great. The later ones which were just plain EV12L's had a spike in the mids that I didn't like. Both are head and shoulders above the rw&b IMO if you don't mind the weight (and I do...)

2. LarryN

LarryN Member

Ahh yes, the weight. I have a Two Rock 65 which is probably a very close relative of the RW&B and it does have a somewhat muffled top. It's sounds great in many settings, but I know what you're talking about. I've been hoarding those Black Shadows. I'm also looking for whatever Patriot or Redcoat comes closest to it.

3. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

Anyone try any of these combinations, what did you think?

Screamin' Eagle & the Governor

Screamin' Eagle & Tonker

Cannabis Rex & Private Jack

Lil' Texas & Tonkerlite

The Governor & Wizard

Screamin' Eagle & Wizard

Cannabis Rex & Wizard

Texas Heat & Tonker

4. LarryN

LarryN Member

I heard a great combination in Jacob Peterson's Red Plate amp. It was an RW&B with an Eminence Legend 10 (ceramic).

5. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Supporting Member

Awesome thread ... it took me 3 days to read all messages :munch

Okay, so after lots of broken Celestion dates I'm ready to give those Eminence speakers a try. Currently I have my JCM 800 2x12 cab loaded with vintage G12-65, but I don't like them too much. Top end is almost non existant, too mid honky, bottom end is ok. I have to crank both presence and treble on my Marshall to get a chimey and cutting sound... no good.

I'm pretty much sold on the Wizards now, as my amp (50W Jubilee) seems to put out sh*tloads of mids anyway, so I want a detailed top end and tight bottom end.

Question for Doug - I know it's a completely different amp, but what speakers do you install in Steve Stevens combo amps? I was told he plays thru one of your amp in this great "Idol-tunes instruction video". Sounds stellar!

Cheers,
    Mike

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

This thread is like the modern day composer!

7. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

yep!

8. algajgg

algajgg Member

Hello, i have read the 75 % of the total posts of this thread, and learned more about the speakers. I`m looking for the best possible speaker (Full Range or guitar speaker) to put in my Fender Hot Rod Deville open back, but i`m using it only trough the POWER AMP bypassing the PRE of the amp, and using a X3L as the PRE. I need to reproduce very accurately the POD X3L amp models. I play in a cover band. Some people recommend me the TONKER, COMMONWEALTH, DELTA PRO 12A, EV M12L, LIBERTY-8 (beyma).

Please if any of you expert guys have an advice will be welcome.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Threads like this one, Mac Daddy335's Tele Love thread and Jon's Reverend Gallery are, to me, an invaluable resource to TGP.

What better reference than the players of TGP's first hand experience?

Thanks for starting it, Doug.

10. doc

doc Supporting Member

algajgg,
    I'd probably go with the Commonwealth, Delta Pro or EV. The Tonker is designed to have a bit of British coloration.

11. jzucker

Nothing sounds like an EV12L except an EV12L. If that's the sound you're looking for, get the EV

12. jamison162

jamison162 Member

My favorite Eminence, by far, is the Private Jack. It's got it all, clarity with no ice-pick, smooth mids, great lowend, just very balanced. Has a great organic vintage breakup, very open and airy, 3D like breathes. The light have a hint of alnico compression that just sings. Doug R. can tell you how great they are, he loads a quad of them in his 4x12's.

Out of the dozens of speakers I've tried, the only speaker I like better than the Private Jacks are the Scumback M75's. The Heritage G12-65's come in 3rd.

13. jzucker

regarding the 1265 speakers, they are great for dumble tones but are attenuated in high freq tones and to me sound flat for strats.

14. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I may have to try one of those PJ's. That Tonequest report says it's their favorite speaker for 1x12's and 2x12's (I have a 1x12).

BTW, do you have the M75 with the LHDC?

15. gsf

gsf Member

Ain't no Eddie----is your 2x12 cab the model 1936 that is only 9" in depth? If it is, I have the same cab w/the same speakers, and bring up the possibility that the cab itself could be a problem that a speaker change might not fix.

16. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

You're welcome!

17. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Nope, just the standard M75-HP's (65 watters).

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I agree. G12-65's need plenty of internal cab volume. To me, they excel in open back cabs with a min. depth of 12". I have never liked them in closed back cabs; even the ported varieties. But I bet they would sound killer in an Orange cab (15" depth, closed back).

19. doc

doc Supporting Member

Thought I'd resurrect "the thread that would not die". Just got an Emi Wizard loaded into a closed back 1 X 12 cab and ran my Ceriatone Overtone through it. Man am I liking this speaker! I was worried it would have too much treble, but no, all frequencies are magically delicious! I really liked the overdrive of that amp with my Cannabis Rex (think Santana sounds) but I like the Wizard overall better (at least in that cab). Haven't tried it with my Trainwreck clone or Traynor Bassmaster yet, but I'm really thinking it will be a great all around speaker for me.
    I haven't really cranked the amp yet to check for cone cry, but no issues at intermediate volumes. I suspect this is more of an issue with open back or ported cabs (which Emi doesn't recommend for the Wizard).
    After looking at the specs of the different Emi offerings, I noticed the differences in the Qts of the speakers, and would predict the Tonkerlite would be an excellent choice for an open back cab and the Wizard for closed back (I haven't tried the Tonkerlite yet). I think lots of us don't put much thought into matching the speaker characteristics to the cab it will go into.

20. doc

doc Supporting Member

Okay, more on the Wizard:
    Tried it at pretty high volume tonight with the Overtone, and for me my search for the right speaker for this amp is over. Absolute magic. No cone cry that I could detect, but easy to elicit endless sustain and great tonal variety.
    Then I switched to my Trainwreck clone (a TR Ruby) with high hopes. Unfortunately lightning didn't strike twice. Not bad, but now the highs are too strident, and although I get that nice Marshalesque chunk it doesn't sing as well as the Cannabis Rex with that amp.
    Plugged the Rex in another cab in, and the magic is back. I like the Wizard plus the Rex for that amp, but not the Wiz by itself. If using just one speaker, the Wizard is no match for the Rex with this amp. The Rex would be perfect if it just had a minimal amount more high end bite, but its pretty dang close to perfect as is.
    I also like the Celestion Blue with the Ruby, but of course have to run it heavily attenuated. I may have to try a Red Fang or a Private Jack with it in the future, but for now I'm afraid my discretionary spending is done for a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.